List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's always a couple of guys each year who rack up a tonne of touches because footy at this level is largely unaccountable and because no-one bothers to mark these kids. If you're a kid who is racking near 40 touches each week but the opposition isn't putting that much attention on you, then it suggests those stats are misleading. It doesn't help that he's not a great athlete or that Richmond is good for inside midfielders.

Helbig can't get a game, this kid would probably struggle as well. There's no point picking players who are behind an extended pecking order. Cotchin, Miles, Conca, Edwards, Foley and Jackson probably all ahead of him at this stage. There's also Lennon to shoehorn in as well as whatever midfielder Richmond selects with their first pick. I'd rather shoot for the stars and try and get that gun half forward flanker that can turn a game in five minutes.

This is what I'd do: Delist Edwards, King, O'Hanlon and Helbig. O'Hanlon is a third tall but he's never going to get a game ahead of Lennon. Helbig is supposed to be an inside midfielder but Miles is much better, ditto Arnot. That leaves at least 3 national draft spots, I'm counting four (although Miles' upgrade may throw up some issues. King is done and so is Edwards. Delist Stephenson and Thomas, they add nothing to the side, are replaceable and should never play,

Assuming there's four something like:

12. Laverde
30. Miller/Cunico
48. Fitzgerald
64. Menadue

Then use two rookie picks to hawk over the expansion sides Miles style. That or Clay McCartney. It's all pace and skill, my reasoning is that there are key forwards and key backmen who could be getting a game (Astbury, Vickery) who aren't, so it makes no sense to add to the KPP pile. There are outside midfielders who are getting a game who shouldn't be (Grigg). The inside midfield setup is decent, and if Richmond wants a third ruck they should search the state leagues or look for any delisted ruckman. It's a risky draft but it could set the side up for an exciting past. And I'm kinda sick of drafting vanilla midfielders, there's a middle ground between vanilla and Tambling, it exists dammit!

You are more likely to have use your 1st pick to get Menadue, doubt if he would be there at 30 much less 64

You are more likely to have use your 1st pick to get Menadue, doubt if he would be there at 30 much less 64
Hmmmm you wouldn't be a relation would you;).......In any case I'll let the rest know something....Connor is a great kid from an outstanding family and I would love to get him to the RFC - for a 2nd round pick. BTW his cousin is a gem of a footballer as well - Jackson.

He's on the board as a possible draftee. His name is on the whiteboard.

Whether he is a draftee or not is still unsure. I'd be looking at a rookie selection with him. A lot of development needed in important aspects but can find it.

How many national draft and pre-season/rookie draft selections is Richmond thinking of using?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do like a player who can find it. But can we tidy up his disposal? Follow Miles around for a few years and then at 20-21 win a Liston Trophy before coming up to the senior squad.

His positives are he's a footballers footballer. He finds it and works hard. That's two qualities you don't find in every player. So he's got that going for him.

Can we tidy up his disposal? I'm a believer that if we can get the Irish and others to play our game we can fix up disposals of Australian juniors.

Jobe Watson was a horrid kick of the footy. A few peptides and take a look now......

So watched all of Champs now. Some later picks i like

From SA

Caleb Daniel - small really small but i don't think i've seen a more complete player would love to get him as a rookie think he will surprise some but at 167cm can see him getting overlooked.

Joshua Rose - Bit of class and a lot of athleticism as a half forward can see him going into the midfield long term

Dean Gore - Just a hardworking inside mid. keeps getting to the contest and has a bit of zip about him. Makes some good decisions.

Reid - A big 200cm+ boy who took a few strong grabs and great goal from outside 50 near the boundary. Quite raw but a good guy to get as a rookie. Old man was a good SANFL player apparently so blood lines are strong

WA

Garlett - Was not really rated like Pickett and Smith but i think he was better. Great pace and a reasonable kick, probably has to work on consistency with kicking. A fair bit of courage too getting in front of Paddy McCartin a few times to chop off leads.

Kietel - played back and forward for WA and was adept at both. McCartin was a bit underdone and still kicked a few goals but I didn't think Kietel couldn't have done much more then he did. Found a lot of it at Half back too. Looked comfortable up forward and would be a nice 2nd or 3rd round pick just to have another KPP developing at VFL

Connor Blakely - I think he is almost a Conca clone. Does everything well but no stand out traits. Still there was one bit of play in a stoppage that was sensation where he danced a few players with ease. Would love with a 2nd rounder if he lasts that far

Country

two most impressive players were bottom agers Parish and Matheison. But country were pretty average in the games i saw so outside the big names very little.

Lukas Webb - Had one sensational game where he kicked 4 and just hit up McCartin 3 or 4 times without breaking stride. Did it around the clearances too and took a courageous mark. Clearly his problem is consistency but could really work in our forward line

Metro

Was the bigger names that stood out Ahern, Petracca, Brayshaw, Wright, Moore, Lavarde, De Goey and Duggan.

Castagna - Needs to improve his decision making but loved his dash from defence just took them on and was very noticeable.

Cavka - Has a 16.8 beep test and it showed with his running. Would be great along side Ellis. Probably needs to learn where to run a bit more

Last edited:
Where do people see Wigg going?

Late first early second is what I've heard. Ideally I'd like us to trade into a position where we could still snag him with our second pick which we would have to- but I wouldn't be entirely unhappy if we took a punt with him at 11.

Late first early second is what I've heard. Ideally I'd like us to trade into a position where we could still snag him with our second pick which we would have to- but I wouldn't be entirely unhappy if we took a punt with him at 11.

I do like the sound of him and God knows we desperately need more quality kicks

What would people think of a draft consisting of:

12: Laverde
30: Menadue
48: Drummond
66: Anthony Miles Rookie Upgrade.

Rookie:

Darcy Cameron
Shane Nelson
Leroy Jetta

Go out and get Pickett and Garlett...throw them on the forward line for 10 years lol.

I want to see some excitement machines....we have been very vanilla up until now which is fine but wouldn't mind going a high risk/high reward option this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back