Opinion 2014 Draft Prospects / Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are some of the names we should be looking out for drafting in 2014? Throw a few names around here.

Just watching the Glenelg v South game, 19yo debut Glenelg ruckman Josh Miller is showing a bit while having his colours lowered by one of the form ruckmen Keegan Brooksby of South.

Miller was overlooked at last year's draft but at 204cm and 97kg could be worth a look with a later pick.

most would have seen peter bampton run around for norwood against port a couple of weeks ago.

draft eligible mid this year. strong kid. looks good though i havent watched enough to know how good his disposal is or his speed though neither look like deficiencies. could look good in our midfield.

lots of talls in the draft. think durdin will be long from our reach but a player like tom lamb or goddard might slip to a teens pick.

I'll let you know within 12 months of making our picks.

9qbwx0.jpg

I'm going to wait until after the under 18 champs for me to learn who everyone is.

Then wait until we finish the season so then I know what draft pick we have so then I can choose my favourites.

(eg 2012 Grundy and Colquhoun....2013 Dunstan and Nankervis)

Just watching the Glenelg v South game, 19yo debut Glenelg ruckman Josh Miller is showing a bit while having his colours lowered by one of the form ruckmen Keegan Brooksby of South.

Miller was overlooked at last year's draft but at 204cm and 97kg could be worth a look with a later pick.

Interesting that you bring him up, he is the ruckman I wanted to rookie last year. I agree he showed a bit, boy not asking much of him at all were they, I only watched the first half and I think he rucked for all of it. Brooksby is finally ready to have a shot at AFL football as well.

Gore at Sturt goes pretty well, Gregson and Bullen-Neal played for glenelg today as well.

Eddy looking like he would adapt to AFL football but I don't think we have a spot for him on our team.

Interesting that you bring him up, he is the ruckman I wanted to rookie last year. I agree he showed a bit, boy not asking much of him at all were they, I only watched the first half and I think he rucked for all of it. Brooksby is finally ready to have a shot at AFL football as well.

Gore at Sturt goes pretty well, Gregson and Bullen-Neal played for glenelg today as well.

Eddy looking like he would adapt to AFL football but I don't think we have a spot for him on our team.

Haven't seen you for a spell mission. I took note of him because you had mentioned him last year as a draft prospect.

Do you think Brooksby might be a touch short for AFL? Is he the son of Phil - that would make him eligible for the crows as a father-son.

Looked very impressive in the ressies last week. Certainly looks worthy of a shot.

Haven't seen you for a spell mission. I took note of him because you had mentioned him last year as a draft prospect.

Do you think Brooksby might be a touch short for AFL? Is he the son of Phil - that would make him eligible for the crows as a father-son.

Yeah son of Phil.

IIRC the crows can no longer take father sons under the old sanfl system and are now forced to do it under normal rules of players who played for them. I think we have two years left of the old father son rules.

No I don't think Brooksby is to short for AFL although I will admit I do wish that he was taller. Tall enough to compete and he then competes at ground level now and can get the ball around the ground. Always had a good skill set but just couldn't find the ball, he has slowly been getting there but for some reason he has taken a massive step forward this season.

Yeah son of Phil.

IIRC the crows can no longer take father sons under the old sanfl system and are now forced to do it under normal rules of players who played for them. I think we have two years left of the old father son rules.

Don't let RussellEbertHandball catch you quoting old rules! :eek:

As REH noted among colourful metaphor in another thread

The 20 year eligibility period for the father was scrapped as was the 20 year sunset clause for when you can recruit the son. This was scrapped in 2006 after the Gibbs situation was reviewed and clarified before the 2006 draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a few WA under 18 kids who I will mention later, but for now I will bring up 24 year old George Hampson who is currently dominating the WAFL. He's a fairly slight flanker/midfielder and given we aren't exactly lacking in that area he may not be for us, but he's a very very smart footballer who just knows exactly where to work to find the footy. Skills are terrific and is a very nice judge of the ball in flight. Has shown continual improvement each year since starting in the reserves in 2011. Like I said, he may not be for us, but I have no doubt that he can make it at the top level.

Stats this year:
R1 - 20 disposals, 1 goal
R2 - 18 disposals, 1 goal
R3 - 28 disposals, 4 goals
R4 - 22 disposals, 4 tackles, 3 goals
R5 - 24 disposals, 5 goals

missionpossible could Luke Buckby be convinced into a Marschall type had enough if footy, just going to play local, still enter the draft and we snare him latter than we should? Also Bampton, what are your thoughts on him? Ross and Redden, do you see a future for either of these guys? Zenith Cox and Johansen (Maggpies lad) round up the 7 I really like this year. Spurling reminds me of quicker and more agile version of Grundy

Spurling
Bampton
Buckby
Johansen
Cox
Redden
Ross

There's no way that he'll slide to our pick (which is hopefully mid-teens) but I think we really need to look at a Sam Durdin type as a replacement for Westhoff. I think we structure around Westy in a lot of games with what he provides, but he is getting on a bit in years. I know every club would love to find a 2m natural footballer with a massive tank, but it's all the more reason to start looking now.

I don't think we really need any smaller types. We still have Young, Colquhoun, Newton, Moore, Amon, Byrne-Jones as likely types to fill those mid/flanker spots over the next few years, so we really should go all out to draft talls.

missionpossible could Luke Buckby be convinced into a Marschall type had enough if footy, just going to play local, still enter the draft and we snare him latter than we should? Also Bampton, what are your thoughts on him? Ross and Redden, do you see a future for either of these guys? Zenith Cox and Johansen (Maggpies lad) round up the 7 I really like this year. Spurling reminds me of quicker and more agile version of Grundy

Spurling
Watchman
Bampton
Buckby
Johansen
Cox
Redden
Ross
Ohh and Watchman

There's no way that he'll slide to our pick (which is hopefully mid-teens) but I think we really need to look at a Sam Durdin type as a replacement for Westhoff. I think we structure around Westy in a lot of games with what he provides, but he is getting on a bit in years. I know every club would love to find a 2m natural footballer with a massive tank, but it's all the more reason to start looking now.

I don't think we really need any smaller types. We still have Young, Colquhoun, Newton, Moore, Amon, Byrne-Jones as likely types to fill those mid/flanker spots over the next few years, so we really should go all out to draft talls.
Bampton was playing Leauge footy at 16 years of age, maybe even 15, the kid is a beast and will transition well to AFL footy. In the vein of those North Mids that smash us year in, year out, Cunnington, Adams, Greenwood etc.

And if Buckby is available late, someone so smooth shouldn't ever be passed up on.

Sure we go tall early, but not to draft a mid or two would be poor drafting.

Benny Haren come on down!

Chris25 on the draft board has been talking up Sturt's Tom Read as a potentially better ruck prospect than Spurling. Kicked 4.3 in the first round of Under 18s and was BOG in the SA Academy (ie under 18s squad?) internal trial. 200cm.

The same would have been said about Spurr

It's been said about Glenn because he didn't want to join the AFL system, he was content to play SANFL with Centrals. So being drafted by an SA team could be more palatable for him, interstate teams may be scared off by that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back