Opinion 2014 Draft Prospects / Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

When you think about what we lack, who we might lose this year and what cover we need to push for a premiership in the coming 1-3 years as well as be successful over the next 10 I could see us picking something along the lines of:

Pick 15-20: Blakely - back up mid who will develop nicely to cover injuries and trades. If Goddard or another tall was still here then I think we would swoop.
Pick 30-40: Bampton/Declan Hamilton/Harrison Wig - excellent ball users who could develop the fitness and speed.
Pick 3: Spurling - Developing ruck
Pick 4/5/6: Rookie upgrades and a speculative pick like Conlon, Starling, Redden etc.

When you think about what we lack, who we might lose this year and what cover we need to push for a premiership in the coming 1-3 years as well as be successful over the next 10 I could see us picking something along the lines of:

Pick 15-20: Blakely - back up mid who will develop nicely to cover injuries and trades. If Goddard or another tall was still here then I think we would swoop.
Pick 30-40: Bampton/Declan Hamilton/Harrison Wig - excellent ball users who could develop the fitness and speed.
Pick 3: Spurling - Developing ruck
Pick 4/5/6: Rookie upgrades and a speculative pick like Conlon, Starling, Redden etc.

I love your enthusiasm :D

Does any one know if Darcy Hourigan is still around the SANFL. He was highly rated in last years draft and was not picked up. Can't see if he was committed and had come on that he still would not be worth a look this year. I think that the big minus was his height(only 190cm).
At some point I think a few Journo's rated him the second best forward behind Boyd.

Does any one know if Darcy Hourigan is still around the SANFL. He was highly rated in last years draft and was not picked up. Can't see if he was committed and had come on that he still would not be worth a look this year. I think that the big minus was his height(only 190cm).
At some point I think a few Journo's rated him the second best forward behind Boyd.

Playing for the panthers league today.

He also destroyed Renouf in round 1.

He may have been fat 2 years ago but he has lost like 50kg.
Rookie list him and give him a pre-season under Burgo and he will be a good insurance ruck.

Ben Haren looks unlikely at this point.

yes I think we should give him (Baulderstone) a go via our rookie draft (our first pick) and see what Burgo can do with him...

how is his running and endurance times ?

yes I think we should give him (Baulderstone) a go via our rookie draft (our first pick) and see what Burgo can do with him...

how is his running and endurance times ?

He was training with the Power last year and failed a fitness test. I think he was still unfit due to being 150k 2-3 years ago.

He is a top ruckman in the SANFL this year unlike last year so hopefully he has improved in terms of fitness.

Josh Glenn had another big game of disposals for Centrals, was voted as best by some on their forum and apparently will be nominating for the afl draft. (according to a very regular poster on their forum)

Just an update on future Port Adelaide player ( ;) ) Nick Jackson, who got a run with the Brisbane reserves today in the NEAFL against the NT Thunder, after impressing for the QLD U18 team recently in the championships and in their TAC cup side. Hopefully he can keep getting a run with the Lions ressies because playing against men will help his case big time. Keep an eye out!

Again for those than haven't been following my regular promotion this guy might be a Lions academy guy based in Brisbane, but he comes from a die hard Port Adelaide family! 195cm swingman who reads the play well, hits the contest hard and has good skills and decision making coming out of defence.

#draftNickJackson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though swing men are handy I'd almost feel comfortable with a positional player Eg forward that just does it really well.

Watching Buddy makes me sad.

might be worth rookie listing panther ruckman keegan brooksby, mobile athletic decent skills and the same height as trengove, having a good year, if we need a backup and dont get lycett, he may be an option. equal 5th in the shearman medal which shows he is having a decent year. 24 years old, ready to come in if needed. could do worse....

Josh Glens issue with wanting to stay in SA could possibly scare the interstate clubs off. Would like very much with us.

might be worth rookie listing panther ruckman keegan brooksby, mobile athletic decent skills and the same height as trengove, having a good year, if we need a backup and dont get lycett, he may be an option. equal 5th in the shearman medal which shows he is having a decent year. 24 years old, ready to come in if needed. could do worse....

He's looked alright this year and been mentioned a few times, a touch short at 197cm for AFL ruck duties but led the state rucks. However, eligible father-son for the crows so if he shows AFL form they are likely to take him.

He's looked alright this year and been mentioned a few times, a touch short at 197cm for AFL ruck duties but led the state rucks. However, eligible father-son for the crows so if he shows AFL form they are likely to take him.

yeah thought height might be an issue but the same as trengove and maybe more athletic, also probably a better natural ruckman, although trengove has been huge as a second ruckman this year. just thinking he may be a handy backup on the rookie list. (handy for the maggies too....) a fit redden / lobbe combo next year will be sensational. didnt realise he was a potential f/s at west lakes.

Yeah he's Phil's son, the Brooksby twin that played 277 games for South. Graham didn't crack 200.

He's looked a good player this year.

Darcy is back in South's league side - looking fitter but not performing atm

I cant believe young Bampton is not getting the accolades he deserves. I would love to see Port get this kid. A lot like Rory Sloane...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back