NFL 2014 NFL - Week 16

Remove this Banner Ad

The NCAA is arguably bigger / more supported than the NFL.
It is, Georgia Bulldogs > Atlanta Falcons, LSU Tigers > New Orleans Saints, Florida State Seminoles/Florida Gators/Miami Hurricanes > Tampa Bay Buccaneers/Jacksonville Jaguars/Miami Dolphins, Texas A&M Aggies > Houston Texans, Texas Longhorns > Dallas Cowboys, USC Trojans/UCLA Bruins drove the Rams and Raiders out of LA, Michigan Wolverines > Detroit Lions, Ohio State Buckeyes > Cincinnati Bengals.

There's some areas where college isn't as big (PA, NY, MA) or it's on par (MN, WI, WA) but most areas college is bigger. The affordability is massive.

NFL teams would struggle to crack into markets like Oklahoma, Nebraska etc.

You'd struggle to make that argument.

Dixie states without NFL teams, sure. Everywhere else and nationally, no.
As a league overall, I'd agree.
But based on a team by team, I think you could argue that college teams are greater than their local NFL team in some areas.

NFC North
Minnesota > Minnesota
Green Bay = Wisconsin (Would go Green Bay nationally though....Easily....I just think there's enough Bears fans in S/E Wisconsin that could tilt it slightly in Wisconsin's way in-state)
Chicago > Northwestern
Detroit < Michigan

NFC East
New York (Giants) > Rutgers
Philadelphia > Temple
Washington > Maryland
Dallas < Texas

NFC South
Atlanta < Georgia
Carolina > North Carolina
Tampa Bay < Florida State
New Orleans < LSU

NFC West
Seattle > Washington
San Francisco > Stanford
St Louis = Missouri
Arizona = Arizona State

AFC North
Cincinnati > Cincinnati
Cleveland < Ohio State
Baltimore > Navy (would go Navy nationally though)
Pittsburgh > Pitt

AFC East
New York (Jets) > Army (would go Army nationally though)
New England > Boston College/Harvard/UMass/UConn.........Maybe even combined.....Ok, maybe not that much.
Miami = Miami
Buffalo > Buffalo

AFC South
Indianapolis < Notre Dame
Houston < Texas A&M
Tennessee < Tennessee
Jacksonville < Florida

AFC West
Oakland > California
San Diego > San Diego State
Kansas City > Kansas (Though, if I can count Jayhawk basketball fans I might be able to trump the Chiefs :p)
Denver > Colorado/Colorado State/Air Force (Though, once Manning retires, there might be arguments for Air Force nationally.)

que someone pointing out I said 'most areas college is bigger' then pointing out I only have ~1/3 with college > NFL. There's areas college is king and unchallenged. eg. Alabama, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Idaho, Dakotas, Oregon, Montana. Then there's areas where there's no interest in anything but college wins by default, eg. Wyoming, Hawaii, New Mexico etc.

The NCAA is arguably bigger / more supported than the NFL.
More americans appear to have a closer affiliation with their college teams than their nfl teams and support them over the range of sports. In the line previews the players often identify themselves by their college and not their hometowns.

Go and look at any US city newspaper website, they will have a link to their local pro sides and then their local college side and highschool sports news.

Allegiance vs Money = NCAA
Money vs Allegiance = NFL

Somewhere in the middle of that the cricles crossover each other where both are equal and both reliant on each other.

Knowing the dynamic between the two is important. The NCAA is a feeder system for Pro Sports (all sports, not just football). By logic/relationship....the pro-sporting part is the 'master', and the college feeder part is the 'slave'. The money side will dictate the relationship, but what is often deep-seated is the the allegiances or attachments humans form to their roots. Consider too, pro athletes are much like mercenaries, free agents going from pro team to pro team to ply their trade, but they'll always have one alma mater. Often people will attach to a pro team more than their alma mater too. Because of some aspects of the NCAA that they dislike conceptually -- the recruitment system weaker than the draft/fa parity system, the lies/hypocrisy of amateur sport, the athlete getting advantages over academia, the game itself even (too touch football)...etc....and in contrast, the same can apply in all the reverse for why some people love college ball more than pro sports.

Overall tho, speaking from a cultural side only....the NCAA and Pro Sports are very even, they're both so very much intertwined with each other in the average fan's esteem/meaning.

que someone pointing out I said 'most areas college is bigger' then pointing out I only have ~1/3 with college > NFL. There's areas college is king and unchallenged. eg. Alabama, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Idaho, Dakotas, Oregon, Montana. Then there's areas where there's no interest in anything but college wins by default, eg. Wyoming, Hawaii, New Mexico etc.

Is that however a result of those places being unattractive to professional sports and the whole marketing side of things, and thus unable to sustain a professional team?

Ergo - the locals LOVE their college team because it's that or nothing?

Is that however a result of those places being unattractive to professional sports and the whole marketing side of things, and thus unable to sustain a professional team?

Ergo - the locals LOVE their college team because it's that or nothing?
But what people are forgetting is that a college student from Montana may get a scholarship to LSU and then work in say Alabama. There appears to be more movement of people interstate in the US and their sporting allegiance may become their college.

It's unlike Australia, where there are so many different football codes diluting the sense of a national sport/identity, let alone other codes that garner equal diluted attention, or just considered sports people play as they've been largely recently adopted from foreign countries (soccer, basketball, baseball, etc). But no deep-seated tradition and singular feeder system attached to the main codes. No reverence or even care for an alumni association in Australia. The two nations are vastly and culturally different in so many ways not worth getting into. But on a foundational basis....'everything begins' with an alumni association among all people from all walks of life, not just sport, in America. Everything thereafter splits off and stems from that singular point in an adult's life, and attachment to their nation and endeavors/sports/industries of their national sensibilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's unlike Australia, where there are so many different football codes diluting the sense of a national sport/identity, let alone other codes that garner equal diluted attention, or just considered sports people play as they've been largely recently adopted from foreign countries (soccer, basketball, baseball, etc). But no deep-seated tradition and singular feeder system attached to the main codes. No reverence or even care for an alumni association in Australia. The two nations are vastly and culturally different in so many ways not worth getting into. But on a foundational basis....'everything begins' with an alumni association among all people from all walks of life, not just sport, in America. Everything thereafter splits off and stems from that singular point in an adult's life, and attachment to their nation and endeavors/sports/industries of their national sensibilities.

I understand your point, but in a VERY simplistic way the alumni system in Australia is the local footy club, which plays at 2pm Saturday afternoon.

When those games clash with Dogs games (granted, not very often at the moment) I make a decision to either go watch the Dogs, go watch the local footy or do neither.

I don't see why the two cant co-exist in the US if the scheduling is somewhat smart and tries to minimise clashes (similarly to Thursday/Monday just have one or two games on Saturday nights and share these around).

I understand your point, but in a VERY simplistic way the alumni system in Australia is the local footy club, which plays at 2pm Saturday afternoon.

When those games clash with Dogs games (granted, not very often at the moment) I make a decision to either go watch the Dogs, go watch the local footy or do neither.

I don't see why the two cant co-exist in the US if the scheduling is somewhat smart and tries to minimise clashes (similarly to Thursday/Monday just have one or two games on Saturday nights and share these around).
You just explained why in your post....if the Dogs game coincided with your local team, you'd pick one over the other.

Because we do have a singular root (NCAA), and a singular national football code (NFL), then it's best to ensure BOTH are given equal billing, keep both prospering, split days over the week (High School, College, NFL) dedicated to each.

Because unlike every Australian Football league, the NAA is an independent multi million dollar company, whose very presence means that the NFL doesn't have to pump millions and millions into a feeder system.

They keep off each others shoes because they provide fundamental services to one another, saving millions. Imagine if all the money the AFL pours into feeder and intro comps was instead self reliant, allowing dollars to flow within the league itself.

Completely incomparable situations.

Soooooo...how's about that week 16 eh?
Wild games today. You can always count on 'underdogs' lifting to spoil teams from playoff contention etc, or comebacks to stay in contention. Also, if you're a team NOT named the Indianapolis Colts, you will find the cellar-dwellers winning games and hurting their draft order, because they just want to win, to go out with a bang, to fight for a future contract, to play spoiler, etc. Expect (imo) teams like Raiders, Bucs, Jets, etc to all win or come close, that causes much change in the draft order.

Looking forward to the Saints/Falcons game.

If both teams actually turn up to play it could be one of the games of the season.
Ahhhhhhh. People who hate defence :rolleyes::thumbsdown:

Great effort by Rivers with an injured back.
That's why, I must confess, I love Rivers very much. As I said earlier, my favorite QB since Marino. Such a tough bastard playing thru bad injuries, tough mentally too, and always aggressive, likes the scrap, gets into other team's faces, etc.

Not to say I root for the Chargers, or even Rivers. But just such admiration/respect for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back