2014 Non-Crows AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example?

I just wasted five minutes of my life reading some of their posts. Ugh, they've got foul minds. Some of the things they write are disgusting.

I agree, you think we crack jokes at them, they boot our Club at every post on theirs. Aside from team selections for betting purposes, I dont bother ever reading what they have to say.

Congratulations to Eleni Glouftsis for the AFL umpiring pathways scholarship she was just awarded.

I've been very impressed with her umpiring in the SANFL this year and was surprised she didn't get any finals, as I thought in the games I saw she had been very good. She's off to Victoria now to help her become an AFL Field umpire.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-23/female-field-umps-push

Congratulations to Eleni Glouftsis for the AFL umpiring pathways scholarship she was just awarded.

I've been very impressed with her umpiring in the SANFL this year and was surprised she didn't get any finals, as I thought in the games I saw she had been very good. She's off to Victoria now to help her become an AFL Field umpire.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-23/female-field-umps-push

I will be surprised if we do ever get a female field umpire in the AFL, given that women have never been able to be umpires (refs) in other mostly non-contact sports like Cricket or Soccer.

I will be surprised if we do ever get a female field umpire in the AFL, given that women have never been able to be umpires (refs) in other mostly non-contact sports like Cricket or Soccer.

Considering this is an actual AFL scholarship and there already are three female umpires in the AFL, there is no reason why not, apart from sexism.

How many have actively tried in those sports and do they have a specific scholarship to assist them achieving it from the sporting organisation?

Considering this is an actual AFL scholarship and there already are three female umpires in the AFL. There is no reason why not, apart from sexism.

How many have actively tried in those sports and do they have a specific scholarship to assist them achieving it from the sporting organisation?

True, yes it is sexist. I guess as long as they could handle the heat in the kitchen (no pun intended) with players as they normally do with male umpires. I guess one day it is a possibility, goal umpires and boundary umpires is very different compared to field umpires so if it is a male or female is rather irrelevant.

With that said, as long as the female field umpires are better than their male colleagues then it would be fine.

I am sure I thought there are SANFL female field umpires?

Ahh the old "deface" oneself with tattoos argument.

Surely someone has to say "what will that look like when he is 70?" ... now the circle is complete :)
171032_480.jpg

Dane Swan in the year 2055

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, yes it is sexist. I guess as long as they could handle the heat in the kitchen (no pun intended) with players as they normally do with male umpires. I guess one day it is a possibility, goal umpires and boundary umpires is very different compared to field umpires so if it is a male or female is rather irrelevant.

With that said, as long as the female field umpires are better than their male colleagues then it would be fine.

I am sure I thought there are SANFL female field umpires?

Eleni IS the SANFL field umpire and as I said watching her this year, she's been very good in her adjudications.

Boundary and goals aren't different, as you still cop s**t from the crowd and the players. I was a boundary umpire and I wanted to be a field one but was told that they wouldn't listen to me so I wasn't allowed to do it. Sorry, but I could control 4/5 year olds and teenage girls during gymnastic lessons, grown men are easy in comparision! I had 'chat' back from players but often the smarter comebacks were from me and that shut them up. One game the field umpires were useless when the all in brawl started at the end of the game, but at me yelling at the players, they stopped and everyone left the field. It's nothing to do with gender, it's all with how you treat them and take no crap.

Eleni IS the SANFL field umpire and as I said watching her this year, she's been very good in her adjudications.

Boundary and goals aren't different, as you still cop s**t from the crowd and the players. I was a boundary umpire and I wanted to be a field one but was told that they wouldn't listen to me so I wasn't allowed to do it. Sorry, but I could control 4/5 year olds and teenage girls during gymnastic lessons, grown
men are easy in comparision! I had
'chat' back from players but often the
smarter comebacks were from me and
that shut them up. One game the field
umpires were useless when the all in
brawl started at the end of the game,
but at me yelling at the players, they
stopped and everyone left the field. It's
nothing to do with gender, it's all with
how you treat them and take no crap.[/
QUOTE]

If that archaic logic was still in play with SAPOL their would be no female Police Officers.

Don't really understand why there is not a female field umpire at AFL. There really is no difference betwee the genders in the ability to umpire, and give P Dangerfield three votes...

It's nothing to do with gender, it's all with how you treat them and take no crap.

As long as the best umpire is picked, I dont have a problem per se who is picked.

Boundary and goals aren't different, as you still cop s**t from the crowd and the players. I was a boundary umpire and I wanted to be a field one but was told that they wouldn't listen to me so I wasn't allowed to do it. Sorry, but I could control 4/5 year olds and teenage girls during gymnastic lessons, grown men are easy in comparision! I had 'chat' back from players but often the smarter comebacks were from me and that shut them up. One game the field umpires were useless when the all in brawl started at the end of the game, but at me yelling at the players, they stopped and everyone left the field. It's nothing to do with gender, it's all with how you treat them and take no crap.
I think its brilliant we may get AFL umps who are female.
Chelsea is comfortably one of the best goal umps from my point of view.
It's not like the game itself where many women would struggle to hit the strength/endurance requirements -> there is no reason they can't be good umpires from my point of view.

Referring to this. Hodge had already over committed to the smoother, all he needed to do is sell the dummy and it would have been GF week for them.
View attachment 81911

Would have to be able to kick with his left.. has enough trouble with his right

Why would Swan do this?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/da...-with-sam-newman/story-fndv7pj3-1227067810079

While one tattoo can be ok and have some appeal, Im not sure I can understand why someone would deface themselves with tattoos all over their body???

It actually becomes an addiction to some people..

Talk to some people with a few see time a few months later and they have some more.. guess what they have plans for new tatts.

Agree tho it's not a good look IMO but then again I don't agree with half the fashion nowadays

Im pretty sure, Polec was behind him in the picture could have gone backwards to him.

Your talking spur of the moment. He's prob been told there's a minute to go 30 seconds ago. He's surronded and wants to get the ball in hoping for a mark.. easy criticising from the couch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back