NFL 2014 Path to the Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think anyone who knows anything about the NFL would say that Wilson should have gone number one.

Manziel would have to be an order of magnitude better than Wilson to justify a team taking him number one.
There's still a lot of white noise out there. I still have a suspicion that of the 3 main QBs ( excluding Carr), Bridgewater may be the one who slides.

There's still a lot of white noise out there. I still have a suspicion that of the 3 main QBs ( excluding Carr), Bridgewater may be the one who slides.
There's a lot of non QB talent available early in the draft, it wouldn't surprise me if only one was taken in the top 10.

Most of the QB needy teams are looking to draft down so that the pick is more representative of where they should be taken.

IMO this draft has more QB talent than last year (only Manual went in the 1st round), but the overall talent level is higher across the entire draft class and therefore QBs could slide again.

I don't think anyone who knows anything about the NFL would say that Wilson should have gone number one.

Manziel would have to be an order of magnitude better than Wilson to justify a team taking him number one.
Wilson has to show he can carry a team without the best defence in a decade and beast mode before I say he should have gone #1

I am starting to believe that Shazier can play MLB

Shayne Shov is another LB who I think can be flexible. These are the calibre of guys who last the distance and bring that much needed fresh blood clout to their respective drafted teams… even if they get traded on… they're gonna be 10 year players at least. The James Farrior types. :thumbsu:

Yeah I like Skov, can't believe he is only rated a third/fourth round talent.

I think Skov's ranking shows just how deep the draft is this year. I'm pretty sure he would have been a 2nd rounder last year, but this year's so deep that he's only viewed as a 3rd or 4th rounder.

It depends on your opinion of Wilson, but I would imagine any team would draft a QB at number one if they were 'just good enough' to win a Super Bowl.

And yes, I do think Wilson is that good, despite the defense being dominant.

You would be stupid to aim much higher IMO...

It depends on your opinion of Wilson, but I would imagine any team would draft a QB at number one if they were 'just good enough' to win a Super Bowl.

Says more about the Pete Caroll / Darrell Bevell system. With a 'pedestrian WR corps' …they managed to get the job done.

Wilson has to show he can carry a team without the best defence in a decade and beast mode before I say he should have gone #1
Wilson's a stud but he'll never be as good as Luck. I think Foles will have the better career too.

Shame that fame has gone to rg3's head (or that he was drafted to a different organisation that didnt empower him so much) otherwise he could've been the best of the lot. What a QB class!

Raiders staff attends rusty Zach Mettenberger pro day

The Raiders met with Zach Mettenberger before his pro day on Tuesday night according to NFL Network's Albert Breer,

Afterwards, Raiders' offensive coordinator Greg Olson and quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo stuck around to watch Mettenberger's pro day. The highly anticipated event was the first opportunity for the public to watch Mettenberger throw since he tore his ACL and MCL on November 29th.

According to LSU offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, Mettenberger has healed quickly. "I'm not saying he's Adrian Peterson, but he's going to be close," Cameron said. "With technology today and you add his work ethic, he may be one of those guys who's better off and has more knee stability now."

Because of his "miraculous" recovery, Mettenberger was expected to perform well Wednesday. USA Today's Jim Corbett was confident that Mettenberger would impress: "There are going to be a lot of jaws that drop with what he puts up there on the field."

But despite high expectations, Mettenberger did not amaze. In fact, he was mad at his performance.

Mettenberger is known for his rocket arm. But on Wednesday, it was his arm, not his knee that failed him.

In my scouting report on Zach Mettenberger, the two biggest concerns I found were his poor accuracy and pocket presence. But even without a pass rush, Mettenberger struggled to hit his targets throwing an unofficial 15 incompletions.

LSU's pro day was Mettenberger's first and final chance to impress teams after he tore his ACL and MCL in November. While he was expected to perform well, he failed to impress and was very inaccurate. If Mettenberger cannot consistently hit wide receivers without a pass rush, how is he going to throw accurately in a game? That's the question NFL teams are asking themselves.

Wilson's a stud but he'll never be as good as Luck. I think Foles will have the better career too.

Shame that fame has gone to rg3's head (or that he was drafted to a different organisation that didnt empower him so much) otherwise he could've been the best of the lot. What a QB class!
Luck was always going to be the best of that draft class, best passing game by a country mile.
I don't know why we pump up qb's with average/mediocre/decent arms that can run, they may do well in college but nearly always get found out in the big leagues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so by that logic Trent Dilfer should have been a #1 pick?
Top3 defence in history plus Jamaal Lewis... all dilfer had to do was not turn the ball over

so by that logic Trent Dilfer should have been a #1 pick?
Top3 defence in history plus Jamaal Lewis... all dilfer had to do was not turn the ball over
Strong herp derp on your behalf considering it's fairly obviously that I suggest Wilson is a 'just good enough' qb to be the reason for a Super Bowl win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you agree with me then... Considering it wasn't a question of whether he deserved to go number 1 but what a team would accept from a number one. Although I think you're biased re. Foles you would argue that he's 'just good enough' to be the reason for a SB victory and ergo deserving of the first overall pick.

Strong herp derp on your behalf considering it's fairly obviously that I suggest Wilson is a 'just good enough' qb to be the reason for a Super Bowl win.

He was right place, right time for that ring... Tim Tebow could have won a ring with that seattle side, maybe even Jamarcus Russell

He was right place, right time for that ring... Tim Tebow could have won a ring with that seattle side, maybe even Jamarcus Russell
Again, that's not the point.

When you actually watch him, the team doesn't matter. I legitimately think he is obviously talented enough to be a key reason WHY they win/won a Super Bowl. He had mediocre receivers all year and an often poorly performing oline for much of it as well.

The fact that you still refer to him as a running QB primarily just suggests you haven't actually seen the nuances of his play and how he's changed as a player.

It's an Eli/Big Ben question. If you give them even a smidgen of the respect they deserve for their part in their respective Super Bowl victories, any team would cream over them as first overall picks. They aren't a transcendental QB talent, like Manning, Brees, Brady are now (Even though only one of those was a first overall pick), but you shouldn't expect that from a first overall pick anyway. Its not a matter if there was a better QB picked in the class or not.

Severe under-appreciation of Russ Wilson in this thread. He may not be Peyton, but geez, he still made some great plays down the stretch for Seattle. Houston would be doing well to get a QB of his quality at 1.
And keeping in mind I wasn't arguing that Wilson was THE reason they were 'just good enough' to win the Super Bowl this year, but I think if you actually watch him play, I fail to see how he hasn't already shown he would be the reason eventually.

And keeping in mind I wasn't arguing that Wilson was THE reason they were 'just good enough' to win the Super Bowl this year, but I think if you actually watch him play, I fail to see how he hasn't already shown he would be the reason eventually.
Play action helps a lot... when they run that play nearly every defence commits all 7 to the run stuff leaving the secondary wide open.
Just have a look at how Baltimore stuggled with its pitiful run game last year, PA plays were basically worthless

Remove this Banner Ad

Back