Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
The final 4.

4 Sydney sides left. Two of the foundation teams will go head to head, while two younger clubs with a proud history of their own face off.

South Sydney v Eastern Suburbs kicks off Prelim weekend and it should be an absolute ripper. While the NRL have rightly been questioned about crowd numbers, this game will ensure any criticism aimed at the game, especially from within, will be quickly forgotten.

It really doesn't get much bigger than this. Not much love is lost between the clubs and both sets of fans. For the Roosters to win they must stop giving up leads they get. They gave up 30 to the Cowboys and nearly paid the price, although I really don't see Souths doing that.

The SBW v Sam Burgess battle will be compelling viewing on its own.

I can see this going right down to the wire and being a continuation of the great footy that's been on show through this finals series and I wouldn't be surprised to see this go to Golden Point. For me it's Souths by 2.

On saturday night the Panthers face the Bulldogs in a battle of the west and another ripper is on the cards. The Panthers probably deserve to make the GF, but as we know the Bulldogs are one of the most tenacious teams in the comp and will never give up.

Once again there will be nothing in this. The Panthers will be fresh and that may be telling after a very tough couple of weeks for the Bulldogs.

I would love to see Ivan Cleary take his team to the big one and I think the game needs a Souths v Panthers Grand Final. Penrith to win by 6 to set that GF up a week later.

I really, REALLY want Souths to win on Friday night.Easts are the only team that I hate with anywhere near the passion that I hate the Storm with.
A Grand Final with Souths in it would be a shot in the arm for the NRL.
Penrith have beaten Canterbury both times this year but writing off a Des Hasler team is an exercise fraught with danger.Canterbury will look to play a power game through the forwards whereas Penrith will look to frustrate that with their mobile pack.
There are arguments for all four teams this week to be winners but I'm going to let my heart rule my head and pick a Souths/Penrith Grand Final.
A Canterbury/Easts GF would have it's advantages though.........
Last year, the Preliminary finals were Manly/Souths and Easts/Newcastle.Mrs Vekgib and I agreed that if it was an Easts/Manly GF, we'd go away for the long weekend and not bother watching it.The same deal is in place for an Easts/Canterbury GF this year.

Selected teams.

Rabbitohs v Roosters

Friday 26 September, 7:55pm (local), ANZ Stadium

Roosters: 1. Anthony Minichiello 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Michael Jennings 4. Shaun Kenny-Dowall 5. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 6. James Maloney 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Jake Friend 10. Sam Moa 11. Boyd Cordner 12. Sonny Bill Williams 13. Aidan Guerra

Interchange: 14. Mitchell Aubusson 15. Frank-Paul Nuuausala 16. Isaac Liu 17. Dylan Napa 18. Remi Casty

Rabbitohs: 1. Greg Inglis 2. Alex Johnston 3. Dylan Walker 4. Kirisome Auva’a 5. Lote Tuqiri 6. Luke Keary 7. Adam Reynolds 8. George Burgess 9. Issac Luke 10. David Tyrrell 11. Kyle Turner 12. John Sutton 13. Sam Burgess

Interchange: 14. Jason Clark 15. Ben Te’o 16. Chris McQueen 17. Thomas Burgess 18. Ben Lowe 19. Luke Burgess 20. Bryson Goodwin

Panthers v Bulldogs

Saturday 27 September, 7:55pm (local), ANZ Stadium

Panthers: 1. Matt Moylan 2. Josh Mansour 3. Dean Whare 4. Jamal Idris 5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 6. Will Smith 7. Jamie Soward 8. Sam McKendry 9. James Segeyaro 10. Brent Kite 11. Sika Manu 12. Matt Robinson 13. Nigel Plum

Interchange: 14. Adam Docker 15. Jeremy Latimore 16. Ben Murdoch-Masila 17. Lewis Brown 18. Kevin Naiqama 19. Sam Anderson

Bulldogs: 1. Sam Perrett 2. Corey Thompson 3. Josh Morris 4. Tim Lafai 5. Mitch Brown 6. Josh Reynolds 7. Trent Hodkinson 8. Aiden Tolman 9. Michael Ennis 10. James Graham 11. Josh Jackson 12. Tony Williams 13. Greg Eastwood

Interchange: 14. Reni Maitua 15. Dale Finucane 16. David Klemmer 17. Frank Pritchard 19. Moses Mbye 20. Harlan Alaalatoa

Bulldogs vs Bunnies GF please.

Of the teams left Souths are the preferred option but I've seen it crumble so many times in September for them so I'm sceptical.

I don't think I'd bother watching if it's a Roosters/Penriff granny- they are two teams I hate.

Being a South's fan, nervous as hell, have a massive bogey to get through to win this (all the preliminary finals we've played in in the 1980s and 2010s we have choked or just simply got thrashed), and the arch enemy.

There's a lot of hate between these two teams. I am currently in Perth but spent almost two years (2012-2013) living in Sydney going to Souths games and sitting in the Burrow - the hate those South's fans have for the Roosters is intense. A lot of fans couldn't bring themselves to watch last year's grand final, and some refuse to sell nor give away their tickets they purchased in spite of the GF opponents.

I'm not fussed about GF opponent. A loss on Friday night, as tough as the game is going to be, will not go down to well...

I will be heading back to Sydney for a short weekend trip during the NRL GF weekend regardless, and may even watch it live regardless.

Bulldogs vs Bunnies GF please.
At first sight. I thought "WTF???" Then I realised your a Dogs supporter. Ok, fair enough then.
Of the teams left Souths are the preferred option but I've seen it crumble so many times in September for them so I'm sceptical.

I don't think I'd bother watching if it's a Roosters/Penriff granny- they are two teams I hate.
Come on Bud. You can get over it. These teams put on the best contested GF in 2003. One of the best finals in all sport. It'll be the showdown of all showdowns!

I totally get the Roosters hate, but how can you hate the Panthers? If they were playing anyone else this weekend I would be barracking for them.

I totally get the Roosters hate, but how can you hate the Panthers? If they were playing anyone else this weekend I would be barracking for them.

Years of poaching players and appearing to have a limitless salary cap. That and Jamie Soward, he was annoying enough as a struggler at St George but he's that much worse when he's up and about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read that he refers to himself in the third person too. Hanging's too good for people who do that.

Going along tomorrow night, should be a pretty good game. Think whoever wins it will win grand final, although Penrith are reminding me a little of 03 - Everyone thought winenr of Roosters/Bulldogs would win, absolutelu ripping game, Chooks were dominant. Penrith were under the radar all year but got into GF pretty comfortably and were far too good on the day.

Supporting Easts but I think Souths will win, would be happy to see them win a competition as well tbh, how far they've come over the last decade or so is sensational.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...e-flamehaired-footy-hero-20140925-10loqm.html

Knew this bloke, genuinely really decent guy, very sad he's passed on. moto748 Ever see him play? Had a very good career in England, alot of tributes from both Hull and Warrington on twitter.

Love the discussion guys. Kudos to all four clubs for their awesome years. Its going to be a great finalise series as it is filled with villains and heroes and some really great story lines.

I do have a concern though about what this final four says about where the NRL is headed. The fact that there are four Sydney clubs shows how little have been achieved in spreading the gospel.

I am keen to see the game grow both in Australia and internationally. We keep loosing players to Rugby Union and the AFL and A-League are making great inroads into traditional heartlands.

Thoughts......

This game was probably over before it started. Justifiably I never have any faith in Souths.

Souths have as much chance of winning an NRL premiership as Fitzroy do of winning an AFL one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back