2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched a great session by Morningside this morning, short and sharp, now they hope both Palmy and the Tigers tackle each other into the ground on the cricket pitch at Salk numerous times over to have them cherry ripe for a trip to Esplen next week!!

See Palmy beat Labrador today by 15 points.I watched the Aspley vs Redland game today, so can someone who saw this QAFL game give ur opinions..See Palmy stormed home in the final quarter. Was it a good quality game? And being a local derby, was there a decent crowd there.?
I will be at Broady tomorrow to watch the game against The Vultures, reckon it will be a tight contest

See Palmy beat Labrador today by 15 points.I watched the Aspley vs Redland game today, so can someone who saw this QAFL game give ur opinions..See Palmy stormed home in the final quarter. Was it a good quality game? And being a local derby, was there a decent crowd there.?
I will be at Broady tomorrow to watch the game against The Vultures, reckon it will be a tight contest

Was a great day of footy down at palmy, with one of the biggest crowds seen down there in a number of years,

The game itself was see-sawing as tigers lead at 1/4 time, palmy at 1/2 time, tigers at 3/4 time, wind was favouring the school end of the ground. Game was very contested but palmys effort against the wind probably got them home

Watched Mt Gravatt beat Broady today. The Vultures just had a work rate much higher then Broady , getting numbers to the ball all day, running forward in numbers and simply harder at the pill.They killed at the centre bounces and their defensive pressure on all lines was excellent.They have improved so much over the past 8 weeks and each player has a lot of confidence in one another.......
They face Labrador next week and Im sure they will give the Tigers a run for their money, but don't think they have the armour to beat them.... then again, as they say, finals footy is a different game.!

vultures were sensational today. their midfield dominated all day and gee they'll miss malone. whoever played on fiufe shut him completely out of the game. broady were undisciplined and a few might be missing the opening rounds next year

Yes Damo, correct.
Broady were undisciplined, gave away many stupid free kicks resulting in at least 5 goals to the Vultures.Still, The Vultures were dominant all day.

Well done to Mt Gravatt, I doubt many had them playing finals at the start of the year - let alone progressing to the 2nd week.

Beaten early in the year by the Magpies in practice matches and struggled a bit in the opening rounds - but have gone from strength to strength with a very young list.

Was a great day of footy down at palmy, with one of the biggest crowds seen down there in a number of years,

The game itself was see-sawing as tigers lead at 1/4 time, palmy at 1/2 time, tigers at 3/4 time, wind was favouring the school end of the ground. Game was very contested but palmys effort against the wind probably got them home
Could not agree more Dezario, was a really good atmosphere and a ripper game, tough, hard football. It was anyone's game with really only 2 goals separating the sides throughout the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty quiet thread for the premier competition in QLD.

Not much carry on like a few other discussions...

Tips for this weekend?

Morningside over PBC by 5 goals, but game will be up for grabs early in the last.

Labrador over Vultures by 3 goals, 5+ if Davey plays.

I see the 2's 2nd Semi Final has been pushed forward to 9am so the QWAFL can be the curtain raiser for Morningside v Palm Beach match. I'm all for women's footy, but what a joke that is.

Last edited:
Yup ..it seems that the bosses have decided they want to take women's football to the world at the expense of other groups..

So the women's teams will be sharing the change rooms with male reserves and senior teams at both Morningside and Labrador. Good luck with that!

You can't swing a cat in the Tigers room as it is!

I don't mind women's football but is simply doesn't work in shared facilities

Yup ..it seems that the bosses have decided they want to take women's football to the world at the expense of other groups..

So the women's teams will be sharing the change rooms with male reserves and senior teams at both Morningside and Labrador. Good luck with that!

You can't swing a cat in the Tigers room as it is!

I don't mind women's football but is simply doesn't work in shared facilities

Yesterday,
Agree, you, cant swing a cat in the Tiger changerooms , but it shouldn't be to bad because there will only be pussys in there. hehehehe

Anyway, on a serious note, it just goes to prove the employee heirachy of the QAFL/NEAFL, IN MANY AREAS , ARE ON ANOTHER PLANET.!
Geez, they have created a mess,,,, all over the place, like a dogs breakfast.!!!

I'm all for promoting the women's competition but if it made any sense they would have pushed the QAFL Seniors and Reserves forward and put the Women's game after that in the late arvo. Sharing the change rooms will be ridiculous.

There's a lot of "I'm all for women's footy, but..." being said above. Disclaimers like that are usually a pretty good indicator that you're not actually as open minded as you might think you are! (i.e. http://imnotracistbut.tumblr.com/)

I'd challenge you guys going to the semi-final to tough it out there and actually watch most of that game.

The depth in the women's competition isn't there yet and there will be a large difference in standard out there between the experienced girls and the newer girls (a product of the lack of support which they currently get), but keep an eye on some of the more skillful girls. Girls like Emma Zielke (#8 from Coorparoo) would hold their own playing in most community men's competitions.

Things like playing a women's game in between the QAFL matches are designed to over-come the prejudices that exist out there by getting you guys to actually watch a game. I'm sure AFLQ would have loved to have kept the QAFL games back to back and have the women's semi close out the day, but unfortunately if they did that then none of you would stay around to watch it and there wouldn't be any progress made to stop idiots dropping "I'm a fan of women's footy, but [insert derogatory statement here]" kind of lines.

There's a lot of "I'm all for women's footy, but..." being said above. Disclaimers like that are usually a pretty good indicator that you're not actually as open minded as you might think you are! (i.e. http://imnotracistbut.tumblr.com/)

I'd challenge you guys going to the semi-final to tough it out there and actually watch most of that game.

The depth in the women's competition isn't there yet and there will be a large difference in standard out there between the experienced girls and the newer girls (a product of the lack of support which they currently get), but keep an eye on some of the more skillful girls. Girls like Emma Zielke (#8 from Coorparoo) would hold their own playing in most community men's competitions.

Things like playing a women's game in between the QAFL matches are designed to over-come the prejudices that exist out there by getting you guys to actually watch a game. I'm sure AFLQ would have loved to have kept the QAFL games back to back and have the women's semi close out the day, but unfortunately if they did that then none of you would stay around to watch it and there wouldn't be any progress made to stop idiots dropping "I'm a fan of women's footy, but [insert derogatory statement here]" kind of lines.
i am against womens football dont like not required, does netball australia poor millions into mens netball?

Its about creating more AFL consumers basically Speedy (therefore a marketing exercise) - not about providing another sport to women who are missing out on opportunities to participate in sport in Australia. Not sure we can judge as to "what is required" can we? Surely people will vote with their feet as to whether a sport (or anything for that matter) is "required". Currently the largest growth sport in Australia so there appears to be some take up. Saw a match in Darwin last year at National 16's bn Vic and WA. Was a very, very good standard of footy. If it means some teenage girls take up sport bc they were looking for a bit of rough and tumble rather than netball / basketball / soccer then has to be a good thing in an age where obesity levels are incredibly high. The beauty of the AFL running it as well is that they will run comps in the correct manner. Would push my daughter to play AFL footy far more so than towards girls RL for instance.
Netball Aust is lucky if they can pour millions into female netball, let alone mens netball, but if they had the $$ I would suggest they would. Why cut off 50% of a potential market simply bc history dictates this is the way it has always been.
My suggestion would be to watch the match with an open mind and see what you think. It does make sense to play it there although I can see why it might be a pain in the arse for all concerned.

I think the palmy magpies reserves game has been changed to 11:30am now. So it should be too, Queenslands premier competition should be left as it has been all year.

Like being forced to?

but keep an eye on some of the more skillful girls. Girls like Emma Zielke (#8 from Coorparoo) would hold their own playing in most community men's competitions.

Complete garbage.

Those that are interested will stay around to watch it, better than being forced.

Complete garbage that such resource is dedicated to the QWAFL, some of the grass roots mens community leagues and clubs would love that sort of support.

Even women don't like watching womens football!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back