Review 2015 afl national draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Things have changed post danger and scooter but prior we had a bottom 4 midfield and freo and hawks have top 4 mids. Like all late drafted players he will need guys above him to get injured but he is good depth.

I blame that more on our ruck setup and gameplan selection on behalf on our match committee (and injuries in 2015) then the quality of midfielders. If we fix the ruck setup we can change our gameplan and the (at least on paper) outputs of our midfield will improve without even taking into consideration our recruits.

Clearly Wells rated Gardner above Glass-McCasker and Firns. Having taken one KPD he was unlikely to take another in the same draft.

I'm a bit ambivalent about who we have taken. Don't mind the Gardner selection and I'm intrigued by Hayball. But I would have taken others in front of Buzza and Menegola. I reckon when you have been drafted and delisted by two previous clubs it doesn't scream out that you are a great bet. With Buzza, he will be interesting to follow but I'd have taken Tahana, Tiziani, Parsons or Hewett in front of him.

I can see Menegola is the closest to ready...but as I said pre draft..unless we pick someone like this thats a legit B22 option , it will more likely end up like Blease again...our best 26-28 is stronger now than last year. Did the Duncan news have anything to do with it?.... Id have taken other before him but there you go..Im the mug , he the champ.

On Buzza , not as negative. Choosing a tall defender and a tall forward and no ruck... is a little surprising. ... but really how much of a surprise that im not in tune with SW?

On Buzza , not as negative. Choosing a tall defender and a tall forward and no ruck... is a little surprising. ... but really how much of a surprise that im not in tune with SW?

It's not that surprising give that we drafted two last year in Reed and Lucey. There is only so many ruckmen a team can develop simultaneously (especially since we don't have a team in the VFL development league)

It's not that surprising give that we drafted two last year in Reed and Lucey. There is only so many ruckmen a team can develop simultaneously (especially since we don't have a team in the VFL development league)

Read maybe..but Lucey? He is not anything other than a long shot project hope. And we lost two rucks at years end , and brought in 1... and far as developing Buzza.... we will have quite a few talls playing forward.

I can see Menegola is the closest to ready...but as I said pre draft..unless we pick someone like this thats a legit B22 option , it will more likely end up like Blease again...our best 26-28 is stronger now than last year. Did the Duncan news have anything to do with it?.... Id have taken other before him but there you go..Im the mug , he the champ.

Even if we were open to getting a ruck, I really don't think the ruck men available this year were worthy of being drafted. Not fussed about that.

Apparently next years draft is more a "midfielders draft" so I dare say we'll use our available picks to go medium/small.

I'd just love 10 minutes with Wells to pick his brains.

Even if we were open to getting a ruck, I really don't think the ruck men available this year were worthy of being drafted. Not fussed about that.

Apparently next years draft is more a "midfielders draft" so I dare say we'll use our available picks to go medium/small.

I'd just love 10 minutes with Wells to pick his brains.
would you say a young defender and young forward more role require than a ruck? Id say no . Next years draft more midfield ...and we will probably draft rucks then .

would you say a young defender and young forward more role require than a ruck? Id say no . Next years draft more midfield ...and we will probably draft rucks then .

I suppose it depends on how Smith, Stanley and Read all perform and develop. So much unknown. If they all do well we really don't need to consider a ruck for another year or two. If not, then we're stuffed anyway.

With Lonergan gone at years end, and Taylor starting to slowly decline, then I think it was necessary to draft a young tall defender. it was a big priority in my mind. Now with Kolo, Gardner and Henderson (only 25/26) we are adequately stocked in that area.

A tall forward wasn't on my list on needs. Wells obviously saw something in Buzza that appealed. Hawkins is what, 27 next year? Still a few years away from declining. But it does give this kid time to develop in the VFL. I would have used the pick on others but happy to see where this one turns out.

Read maybe..but Lucey? He is not anything other than a long shot project hope. And we lost two rucks at years end , and brought in 1... and far as developing Buzza.... we will have quite a few talls playing forward.

Of course he's a long shot but he still has to play for the club and in any given week at most we can give decent match time to four ruckmen at both AFL and VFL level. We lost two ruckmen, but we're getting back another two who spent most of last year injured in Vardy and Stanley and a third in Clark who could pinch hit in an emergency.

Though I think it not right to look at the raw numbers but to look at the types of players in each aged bracket. Of our developing players we haven't drafted a KPF in the national draft since 2011, and the only KPF rookie that we drafted since retired from a heart complaint. So while we have plenty of KPFs for today we had none in development for the long term when our current players are towards the end of their career. Which means we needed to draft a KPF more than we needed another ruckmen given that we have drafted one a lot more recently.

So Buzza to second ruck?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that we got a left footed player with a good penetrating kick but i've not seen or even heard of any of these young lads.
He kicked a goal from the awkward Ablett pocket at KP! :thumbsu: :rainbow:

We punted on players that have plenty of development to go for three picks. The perk of that is they could be anything. The other benefit is they are less likely leave in their second year seeking cheap games at another club. This gives us plenty of time to develop the players, and if they are ever ready to shine it will be in a 3-4 of years where we'll need a defender for sure, and Fwd/Ruck...Have a million of them but who knows.

All three boys have that country feel, which is sensible considering go home/go where you want is a factor these days. Our strength is our town, as much as it might be a weakness for attracting some talent. These selections play to that strength.

The big negative is if we get injuries, and that is a massive if considering we are charmed (right?), the these boys aren't ready. The other is their peak is currently unknown, once developed might not cut it.

Menegola is a different case. He is depth. We've seen plenty of these types add value to teams. Kane Mitchell, Barlow, Sam Loyd etc. If he can fill a role when called on, or make the VFL more competitive then all the better.

Of course the above could be said about 350 kids that nominated. Once drafted though, there are no rules saying late picks have to be bad players, they are all footy players on the same ground as picks 1 to 59. Smash in, work hard, and I'll slap these hands together repeatedly for you. Welcome to Geelong!

I blame that more on our ruck setup and gameplan selection on behalf on our match committee (and injuries in 2015) then the quality of midfielders. If we fix the ruck setup we can change our gameplan and the (at least on paper) outputs of our midfield will improve without even taking into consideration our recruits.

I do agree with that. My point is just that the two midfields Menegola couldn't crack were a lot stronger than ours. If he was on our list this year he would have played a lot of senior footy.

I suppose any of us could disagree on Geelong drafting a mature age player after our trade period, but if you accept we specifically wanted someone mature age then there aren't many better performing state league options. Yarran we wouldn't have touched for obvious character reasons, we wouldn't have re-drafted Brown, probably the only other state league player (of the ones I've seen) who I think has form as deserving of a shot as Menegola is Adam Marcon and I think someone will rookie list him on friday. With the interchange cap coming down Menegola is a good pick if you want a mature age player.

The other aspect is the last player we drafted who was rookie delisted by two players and then dominated the state league was Pods, and that was a raging success. Now while I think Menegola isn't as good as Pods it makes the point that just because he was delisted doesnt mean he isn't afl standard, it just means he wasnt ready then and is presumably more ready now.

Menegola was the only one I tipped, he is the right age we couldn't bring in all kids. Happy with Gardner and no very little about the others. Any chance we offer Tom Ruggles a rookie spot?

The reality is because we are 2 short on the senior list we can nominate 2 rookies who can play from round 1 so if we take Ruggles there is no difference between him being rookie and senior listed (apart from his salary and contract length). In this respect us taking Menegola last night and not as a rookie is interesting and indicates it was a tactical move i.e. we thought a club would take him between 66 and our first rookie pick.

After watching approximately 6 minutes of highlights and reading a couple of dozen comments, I feel confident in telling you all that 2 of the draftees are going to be serviceable 100 game players for us, one is going to be an elite super gun and one a total bust who brings shame onto the whole club.

But you'll just have to wait and see which is which :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back