B: Bags/Hurley/Fletcher
HB: Dempsey/Hooker/Hibberd
C:Colyer/ Heppell/ Zaharakis
HF:Chapman/Carlisle/Goddard
F: Winderlich/Daniher/Ambrose
R:TBC/Watson/Myers
Bench: Giles/Cooney/Zerrett/Stanton

Note: That's really bloody hard to do

Carlisle hasn't joined in any pre season. How have you ascertained a forward role?

I ascertain it because Hurley has spent most of his time in defence - Hurley doing some forward work is probably in case Carlisle doesn't come up.

Love to here how Hibberd struggled big time in the midfield vs Adelaide. He got injured early and still managed to help himself to 30 touches.
Most of which were when he moved into defence because they realized he was s**t in the middle. He has no idea around a stoppage. I've heard this argument time and again but he never even looked like it on a wing or in the guts.

How many people genuinely think that Giles won't be getting a game in our starting 22?
He'll probably get a game, pus with Carlisle's fitness issues right now he'll probably play as the #2 KPF to start with.

How many people genuinely think that Giles won't be getting a game in our starting 22?
Me.
Unless/until we are a genuine tall down.
Having said that, i have Ambrose in the starting side so if he is really stinking it up form wise this year, then a case could be made to play Giles if we want to go in extra tall. The other scenario could be if TBC is starting games really well but fading badly at the end, then we could see a restructure for adding Giles. Our forward line looks superb in the air with JD, Carlisle, Licka, Goddard/Watson and Ambrose. I don't see why we would want more height/marking power in that mix? Ambrose does need to improve somewhat i admit, and TBC needs to have the fitness to ruck 75% of the day.

I'm not sure Ambrose is best 22 plus I actually think it would help his development to spend time playing as a genuine chf in the VFL where he should be Riewoldt like instead of just playing a cameo role to Carlisle and Daniher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure Ambrose is best 22 plus I actually think it would help his development to spend time playing as a genuine chf in the VFL where he should be Riewoldt like instead of just playing a cameo role to Carlisle and Daniher.
Hey, i'd love for our forward line to be able to operate without him, but last years stats show we were crap when he didn't play. Additionally, he really isn't far off the pace anyway... Just needs to improve 5 or 10% and he would be holding his own. Given his skills were raw last year, he is a massive candidate for taking a big step this year.
I think we saw a very young and inexperienced threesome in JD, Carlisle and Ambrose last year. JD's second year, Carlisle's first year as a forward and Ambrose's first year in the AFL! We saw the progress made by both JD and Carlisle by the end of the year, while Ambrose made his running early which is not surprising given the mental and physical fatigue he would have been feeling by the end. When you think about it, it was a massively successful year for all of them to achieve the heights of performance that they did, even while it was frustrating that they were not on the whole competitive with the top teams in the end. Everything we saw last year points to a very different story this year. In short, i'd like to see Ambrose come out with a bit more polish this year, and perhaps benefit from the havoc wreaked by JD and Carlisle who shouldn't be so dependent on him opening up space.

B: Bags/Hurley/Fletcher
HB: Dempsey/Hooker/Hibberd
C:Colyer/ Heppell/ Zaharakis
HF:Chapman/Carlisle/Goddard
F: Winderlich/Daniher/Ambrose
R:TBC/Watson/Myers
Bench: Giles/Cooney/Zerrett/Stanton

Note: That's really bloody hard to do
Emergencies - who just misses out??

Like i said really bloody hard to pick a best 22 o_O
I just assumed you forgot him!
I think he still has a place ahead of Ambrose, Giles and probably Stanton. Does the dirty work which we will need with Cooney and Zaka competing for top front runner status :D He needs to hold some decent form, but that goes for half the team this year. Not too many other than Watson/Heppell etc will get any form leeway!

He's too small for the big guys, too slow for the smaller forwards. I don't see him breaking into the team unless we have particularly bad injuries. Even Pears should be ahead of him if he gets back up to speed.
Such a shame to see a guy work so hard for potentially no reward! If i could imagine a way for him to make it i would remain optimistic for him. Can anyone conceive of a way for him to get around his natural limitations? 20 years ago his speed might not have been a deal breaker, but that's not the way things are now. Maybe he could be a rebounding defender if he maximised his potential across the board?
Firstly, working hard is its own reward and he's paid well enough that he spends his days getting fit and playing a game rather than the grind we do. He also has the wonderful opportunity of development and if he was delisted at the end of this year he'd easily be 100 goal a season FF in regional footy and able to earn money there again.

While I agree that he was way too undersized for Brown and this cost us in the final he still has some tricks. He isn't slow so could in theory follow a smallish forward around or a resting big bodied mid. Also with the extra base he could provide depth to the running third tall defender and allow us flexibility and the capability of covering Hurley and Gwilt.

Pears struggled with injury last year and hasn't gotten on the track this year. Sad as it is to say this about one of "my boys" Pears won't play senior AFL football after this injury run.

I hope we don't play all of Belly, JD, Carlisle and Giles in the one side. Treacle slow.

Depending on injuries it should be three of them and one of Ambrose, Hurley and Gwilt. With the last two playing down back it'll be Ambrose.

Chappy, winderlich, Cooney, both Merrets and Laverde can have a crack at the other three spots. All of them will also have short bursts up the ground.

Is a tight squeeze for spots this year. I can see good things if we can fluke a good year with injuries like Port have had for two years running .... pity our most durable player went there! ... let's hope he's a reverse talisman though!

I hope we don't play all of Belly, JD, Carlisle and Giles in the one side. Treacle slow.

Depending on injuries it should be three of them and one of Ambrose, Hurley and Gwilt. With the last two playing down back it'll be Ambrose.

Chappy, winderlich, Cooney, both Merrets and Laverde can have a crack at the other three spots. All of them will also have short bursts up the ground.

Is a tight squeeze for spots this year. I can see good things if we can fluke a good year with injuries like Port have had for two years running .... pity our most durable player went there! ... let's hope he's a reverse talisman though!
Really it was barely doable when it was Ryder rather than Giles. PLaying Giles and TBC in the same side when they are so similar will really reduce our adaptability/options. It may be unavoidable if TRB are shy of risking JD, and neither ruckman is able to last the distance. We will really start missing Ryder at that point i suspect.

Our current best 22 would look something like;-

Clisby Gwilt Jones

Edwards M.Brown Gleeson

Zakka Cooney Magner

Petrenko Ambrose Fantasia

McKernan Daniher Chapman

Giles Goddard Z.Merrett

Bench from: Laverde Langford Long McKenna

Last edited:
Our current best 22 would look something like;-

Clisby Gwilt Jones

Edwards M.Brown Gleeson

Zakka Cooney Magner

McKernan Daniher Chapman

Giles Goddard Z.Merrett

Zaka won't be playing. No 2012 listed players, regardless of their involvement.

Zaka won't be playing. No 2012 listed players, regardless of their involvement.

Then maybe something more like;-

Ashby Gwilt Jones

Edwards M.Brown Gleeson

Clisby Cooney Magner

McKernan Daniher Chapman

Giles Goddard Z.Merrett

Still a decent side might trouble the Saints with those players I reckon but Swans will have a field day against that team!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back