Strategy 2015 best side

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair comment. Only because you mentioned 'exposed form' as regards Kelly. Clearly, neither Lang nor Jansen nor Hartman nor Cockatoo have that. However, I would play any of them ahead of him; that's just me, I really would start making those tough choices and getting games into them (could be a totally wrong thing to do). They still might play anyway, as the rest of the midfielders really pick themselves. There could easily be a surprise or two.
Just one thing on Bews and Thurlow vs Kelly- neither of them was for enough to take his place last season. Hopefully this season Kelly won't need to go back because these two boys- and Smedts- will sort out the backline between them. I'm not sure how we will fit them all into the team, though. I'm a bit like Scotty in that respect- I think I've got a best 32, not 22.

As for those other boys- their time will come. There will be the inevitable soreness or minor injury and whoever is the fittest and best fit will get the call up. The best thing about this is that they will always have to be performing at their best because they don't know when their chance will come.

This is what I would select:

B: Rivers - Lonergan - Bews
HB: Enright - Taylor - Mackie
C: Duncan - Johnson - Guthrie
HF: Motlop - Clark - Caddy
F: Bartel - Hawkins - Murdoch
R: Simpson - Horlin-Smith - Selwood
I/C: Stokes - Smedts - Kelly* - Blicavs

* - that's if they don't think it's more important to give any of Lang, Jansen, Hartman or Cockatoo (or others) a game. I'm hoping I haven't missed anyone. I'm presuming others like McIntosh and Kersten won't be available.

That team makes sense to me - it follows logically on from last season - ie, assuming no injuries during the NAB to the 'established' players. The only positions that are really under any contest are BP, CHF & Ruck. Let Bews have first crack at BP; CHF will be interesting as we go deeper into the season; and Ruck will be a revolving door. But your team is I think the right balance for those first 4 hard games, but perhaps only for those 4 games. Maybe a 3rd tall in the front 6 would be handy.

If we are worse than 2-2 after round 4, I suspect that the MC will rethink the continuing reliance on the A-Team & structure of the past few years and more quickly move to renew the mix. This will happen progressively anyway as we move through the season and your 22 will certainly not be the 22 come September. But your suggested list is the correct March 1 starting group. The younger future stars (plus the new recruits) are too good to play the bulk of the year in the Magoos.

Fair enough.
I realise we have to transition the side, just don't agree with pushing out veterans while they're still playing good footy, or gifting games to kids if their form doesn't warrant it, plus there's room for at least one of those you mention to get a game even with Kelly in the side anyway, and with the inevitable injuries, and rotations, they'll be given plenty of opportunities.
Was using those exact thoughts to form my reply, Cattery- but you were faster on the keyboard :(
It sad that we think like that, isn't it- but that's the business they're in and it's a reality.

Just one thing on Bews and Thurlow vs Kelly- neither of them was for enough to take his place last season. Hopefully this season Kelly won't need to go back because these two boys- and Smedts- will sort out the backline between them. I'm not sure how we will fit them all into the team, though. I'm a bit like Scotty in that respect- I think I've got a best 32, not 22.

Now that we've delved into mathematical realms TC there's a simpler answer; Scott's 'best 22' is in hexadecimal. :)

Now that we've delved into mathematical realms TC there's a simpler answer; Scott's 'best 22' is in hexadecimal. :)
I prefer to think of my numbering system as multi-planar- or multi-dimensional. The spare players exist in another plane, which changes every week, so we only get to see 22 of them on game day but the rest are there, hovering around somewhere ;)

Who does everyone think that Blicavs is going to replace in defense ? can he play in defense with taylor,lonegan and rivers ?

No. There's a good chance we're going to be too big as is. If one of those three are injured, managed or rotated out, that's a different story. But not alongside those three, presuming Mackie is out there as well.

Fair comment. Only because you mentioned 'exposed form' as regards Kelly. Clearly, neither Lang nor Jansen nor Hartman nor Cockatoo have that. However, I would play any of them ahead of him; that's just me, I really would start making those tough choices and getting games into them (could be a totally wrong thing to do).

At the risk of sounding like a Partridge fan boy, I would do exactly the same. And Scott needs to stay true to his promise to develop the youth and get 50+ games into them so that the new northern clubs don't leave Geelong in their wake due to their having no choice but to play their kids.

* - that's if they don't think it's more important to give any of Lang, Jansen, Hartman or Cockatoo (or others) a game. I'm hoping I haven't missed anyone. I'm presuming others like McIntosh and Kersten won't be available.

That is not a bad side IMO.

Four players added in Bews, Clark, Smedts and Simpson. Not sure about Smedts - but whoever is playing well out of Smedts, Hartman, Lang, etc will get the gig.

That is not a bad side IMO.

Four players added in Bews, Clark, Smedts and Simpson. Not sure about Smedts - but whoever is playing well out of Smedts, Hartman, Lang, etc will get the gig.
Smedts on pure talent is easily best 22 imho, but he wasn't anywhere near committed enough at AFL level. I suspect he was a superstar junior and it all came very easily for him without ever being truly challenged. Sounds like the penny may have finally dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smedts on pure talent is easily best 22 imho, but he wasn't anywhere near committed enough at AFL level. I suspect he was a superstar junior and it all came very easily for him without ever being truly challenged. Sounds like the penny may have finally dropped.

His alleged attitude problems have become a meme on this board. An easy thing to attack from the safety of a keyboard but completely baseless. His underwhelming performance compared to pre-draft hype can easily be explained by his injury history. He has almost missed as many games from injury than he has played at both AFL and VFL level and I doubt that he's had a full pre-season yet at the club.

Might want to slot Caddy into that Rd1 side! We definitely look to have a lot more depth this year because it's very hard to pick a team. Even moreso if we get a couple of young bolters, going to be a lot of scrapping for seniors games. Seems like so many players that could potentially crack it this year.

Ha yeah could probably sneak caddy in I guess. Fair side though. Looking forward to it all starting.

I know this is coming out of left field, and I'll be honest, I'm many beers down at this point, but Boris as a defensive forward? Would free up a spot in our back half for bews/Thurlow, and would increase forward pressure, which may allow us to play Hawkins Clark Kersten with less concernconcern?

You have encapsulated the reason for the success of some Rookie's , and the failure of some early , highly rated draft picks.

Boris as a defensive forward ay :eek:

I reckon he'd make a kick ass midfielder myself. Should have rolled the dice in one of those finals and put him center square with Selwood and Johnson. No issues finding the ball has Boris and he was a midfielder once upon a time but to be realistic, if we're discussing other suitable roles for Boris as opposed to the one position in which he's become the greatest mid-sized defender of his generation, it may be his last season unfortunately.

He started as a mid.

No he will play 300 games , luck willing in the position he made his own , the position for which he has earned AA honours. They intend to use Bartel and Kelly in there more. GHS and Caddy should both be that next step up , Guthrie as well although I think he is there now. Add any number of juniors if you want but these will be the core of it , unless a freak occurs and we get value from a kid.
Id be using the FP and high forward position entries for those kids. Lang or Jansen or who ever has the form to demand selection

sorry if u mentioned this already, but whos going to be the 2nd ruck in that team if blicavs is the sub ?

He started as a mid.

No he will play 300 games , luck willing in the position he made his own , the position for which he has earned AA honours. They intend to use Bartel and Kelly in there more. GHS and Caddy should both be that next step up , Guthrie as well although I think he is there now. Add any number of juniors if you want but these will be the core of it , unless a freak occurs and we get value from a kid.
Id be using the FP and high forward position entries for those kids. Lang or Jansen or who ever has the form to demand selection

12 to go I think….

If there is a God let it be so. And yes, in the spot he's made his own.

and setting some PB's in pre season I hear..

there is life on the old master yet….

Go Catters

Would personal rather see him play mostly as a forward so I would add blicavs into the best 22
If he rucks , I feel it will only be something the forward 50. Lets build his confidence in body and skills .

Thinking on it , id say he will be a little bit "Win Burned" , just like Rivers was. Remember how after a win he was so pumped and other guys were just BAU , almost took him a season to get that , winning is normal and to be expected. And even with that , the big games , the finals was another level for him. Much better player in his second year. Clark could be as well , but Im hopping he can quickly adapt. As a forward I think he may find it easier than he ever has playing with a better side. It will be a big "Welcome back" if his first game for us is V the Hawks but at least he will know that this is what its supposed to be like.

so do most people agree that walker,Vardy and Stanley are not in our best 22 ?

Personally I disagree. I really hope we didn't spend P21 on a mid 20's player if he was not planned on being best 22. For mine Stanley is the Ute to eithe rSimpson or Hmac (at least at the start). Blitz in the backline somewhere , some of the time .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back