2015 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

It's funny how people still try to apply logic to the Brownlow after all these years. Some random decent/great mid will win it and lots of people will be really mad for some reason.

Would be cool for a ruckman to win it.

Is Nic Nat a chance too? Haven't seen much West Coast, but heard he's been pretty good this year and Eagles have won a lot of games.
Nic Nat won't poll well, he has gun mids such as Priddis and Gaff who are stealing votes off him and having career best seasons, plus it's a midfielder's award so the umpires will definitely be keeping an eye on them.

Danger has been so consistent this year I think easily the best season he has had. Hard to see him not finishing top 3.

Hard to predict how the umps will vote though. Last year there was a definite increase in votes given to players from the losing team, I wonder if it will be the same this year.
Danger gets votes when no one expects him to, happened the last 2 years in particular. In 2012 IIRC (may have been 2013) Hanners went nuts early in the year before tailing away, he's a good chance to crack 20 votes again.

I like Goldy though, should get quite a few 3s in Norths weakish midfield, only Ziebell has had a few standout games there that could take votes off him.

I like dangers chances, polled 21 votes last year when he was down and we were losing the umpires just admire him you have power midfielders, you have speedy midfielders and then you have him who is the perfect mix of both. This is arguably his best year and we look set for finals.

Could be on 22 votes atm

2 vs North Melbourne round 1
3 vs Collingwood round 2
2 vs Port round 5
1 vs GWS round 8
3 vs Fremantle round 9
1 vs Carlton round 10
3 vs Hawthorn round 12
1 vs West Coast round 15
3 vs Gold Coast round 17
3 vs Richmond round 19

Fyfe probably hasn't polled the last 6 weeks and even before that he was having a lot of scrappy 30 possesions games where people give him a vote or two because he's Fyfe. I'm not saying danger is the next best chance just putting his name out there.

Fyfe is not a lock for the Brownlow.

I like dangers chances, polled 21 votes last year when he was down and we were losing the umpires just admire him you have power midfielders, you have speedy midfielders and then you have him who is the perfect mix of both. This is arguably his best year and we look set for finals.

Could be on 22 votes atm

2 vs North Melbourne round 1
3 vs Collingwood round 2
2 vs Port round 5
1 vs GWS round 8
3 vs Fremantle round 9
1 vs Carlton round 10
3 vs Hawthorn round 12
1 vs West Coast round 15
3 vs Gold Coast round 17
3 vs Richmond round 19

Fyfe probably hasn't polled the last 6 weeks and even before that he was having a lot of scrappy 30 possesions games where people give him a vote or two because he's Fyfe. I'm not saying danger is the next best chance just putting his name out there.

Fyfe is not a lock for the Brownlow.

You're inflating Danger's chances there

Danger gets votes when no one expects him to, happened the last 2 years in particular. In 2012 IIRC (may have been 2013) Hanners went nuts early in the year before tailing away, he's a good chance to crack 20 votes again.

I like Goldy though, should get quite a few 3s in Norths weakish midfield, only Ziebell has had a few standout games there that could take votes off him.

Goldy could easily poll poorly, just like when Luke Darcy was fav. The umps arent conditioned to look for rucks when giving their votes.

Goldy could easily poll poorly, just like when Luke Darcy was fav. The umps arent conditioned to look for rucks when giving their votes.
Darce was a one trick pony that year, he'd grab the ball out of the ruck and bomb it forward, you could say the same about Tredrea in 04 was it? about KPPs never polling well?

Dominant rucks have won before though, Schultz, Dempsey, Round, Stynes, Wynd, Goodes just to name a few off the top of my head and McKernan polled the most votes with Hird and Voss but was suspended obviously.

It's a shame, because Goldy is a bloody star and would be a worthy winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darce was a one trick pony that year, he'd grab the ball out of the ruck and bomb it forward, you could say the same about Tredrea in 04 was it about KPPs?

Dominant rucks have won before though, Schultz, Dempsey, Round, Stynes, Wynd, Goodes just to name a few off the top of my head and McKernan polled the most votes with Hird and Voss but was suspended obviously.

They have and he should poll very well but I wouldnt be suprised if he doesnt.

Darce was a one trick pony that year, he'd grab the ball out of the ruck and bomb it forward, you could say the same about Tredrea in 04 was it? about KPPs never polling well?

Rucks polled well in the past but over the last 10 years have polled poorly, the Brownlow has become a midfielders award and for many in the industry almost irrelevant as it is no longer seen as a true indication of who the best player in the competition. It is actually something which is common across all commentators, the only really true award that I would rate are the coaches award and AFLPA award.

Danger has been so consistent this year I think easily the best season he has had. Hard to see him not finishing top 3.

Hard to predict how the umps will vote though. Last year there was a definite increase in votes given to players from the losing team, I wonder if it will be the same this year.

TBH, a lot of his better games have come in losses, and he hasn't been in a lot of the best three on the ground in the Crows' better games. I'd have him barely pushing double figures in votes ATM. That doesn't necessarily mean he's had a poor year, or has been worse than in the past (I'd have him in the All-Australian side), just the way the voting goes. You can have a very good and consistent year in a middling side without it earning you a heap of votes under the 3-2-1 system.

That being said, he's the type that attracts votes and may snare a few extra for being noticeable rather than technically being among the best three on the ground, so you never know.

It is obviously possible that the brownlow is still up for grabs, but I think some people are suffering from recency bias. It's probably like Watson's win a few years back - you forget how dominant he was because it was a couple of months ago.

Fyfe likely has about 26-30 votes already, maybe more. And all the other contenders come from finals teams so have competition for votes. Odds of about $1.60 are still pretty appealing, even if he doesn't poll much between now and the end of h&a.

I'd love to see Goldstein win it though, he's been great all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back