List Mgmt. 2015 Draft Thread - Pre-Season & Rookie Draft Friday 11:00am AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brett Anderson unimpressed with our selections

By the time I press Post I will have forgotten, though

Personally looking forward to Knightmare's analysis.

1. Brayden Sier
2. Tom Phillips
3. Rupert Wills
4. Ben Crocker
3rd last. Nathan Broad
2nd last Oleg Markov
last. Daniel Rioli

;)

Anyone notice FJ is getting a little obsessed with the draft combine and the players fitness levels. Looking at recent drafts McIntosh is an amazing endurance athletes, McBean is an athletic freak for his size, Gordon's best trait was his running ability, Menadue pre draft was mainly talked about because of his explosive speed and fantastic endurance. Quite similar to Short and Castagna. Now this draft we've gone and drafted the best performer in the whole combine with Rioli and then we also drafted Markov who has an amazing vertical leap, very quick and a fantastic endurance. Even when asked on Broad FJ commented on his speed and combibe results.

Staring to notice a real trend.

Anyone notice FJ is getting a little obsessed with the draft combine and the players fitness levels. Looking at recent drafts McIntosh is an amazing endurance athletes, McBean is an athletic freak for his size, Gordon's best trait was his running ability, Menadue pre draft was mainly talked about because of his explosive speed and fantastic endurance. Quite similar to Short and Castagna. Now this draft we've gone and drafted the best performer in the whole combine with Rioli and then we also drafted Markov who has an amazing vertical leap, very quick and a fantastic endurance. Even when asked on Broad FJ commented on his speed and combibe results.

Well Flossy missed most of it because his grandmother died and the less said about Lennon's results the better ;)

Have a look at the best teams, they run all day. Seems a trend to me.

With the senior list now filled I am actually quite happy with the spread of the list. 2 years ago we were top heavy with players who were the same pace and had limited x factor outside Martin Deledio & Edwards. Depth wise we were also lacking as a couple of injuries to our best 22 and we fell away very quickly as witnessed by our 3-10 start in 2014. Since then we gone to the draft and added speed with Menadue Drummond Butler Short Hunt Rioli & Markov, through trading we've added speed and class in Yarran and hardness in Townsend & Moore. Along the way we've seen older types like Newman Foley Knights Jackson Petterd Edwards & King retire and moved on the likes of Arnot Dea McDonough Gordon Helbig O'Hanlon who weren't up to it.

The list now has an even spread of youth and experience, we have 26 players aged 24 or younger and 13 over 25 with only Maric and Chaplin turning 30 next season. Through the midfield we now have 6 inside midfielders and 6 outside midfielders which means that we can also use the likes of Deledio & Edwards permanently up forward if we want and I'd say we'd all agree that they are much better options than the likes of Newman and Morris in those roles. Along side those 2 we have Lennon & Markov as medium sized forwards who can push into the midfield and small forwards in Rioli Lloyd Short & Butler. Again the quality of those 6 is much better IMO than what it has been in previous years. KPF wise we have plenty of quality depth, Jack is a star, Vickery seems to have found consistency, Griffiths has potential to be anything while McBean & McKenzie are developing nicely in the VFL.

Down back we're much stronger than we've been for a while, Rance & Chaplin are 2 solid anchors to build around with a couple of handy ready to go depth types in Astbury & Elton who are no doubt itching for a chance. Yarran Houli Hunt Drummond & Castagna give us plenty of run and carry from the back half, Vlastuin gives us a harder edge for now before an eventual move to the middle, Grimes & Batchelor are solid 3rd tall types and will be joined by Broad, while Morris is hopefully going to move back to his defensive small role after not coming good up forward.

The ruck is a bit of a concern with Maric slowly getting worn down while Hampson is still yet to deliver what was expected when we chased him and Soldo is still a good 2-3 years away. Luckily we have Vickery & Griffiths who can pinch hit if needed so we should be able to get by, still I'd be much happier picking up a kid like Cameron on Friday to give us another ready to go option just in case.

In summary I'm not really sure what all the angst has been about today, for all the we should have taken this player or that player because the various phantoms has them ranked inside the top 20, 50 or 75 and the players we took weren't ranked that highly, let me just say this, there were 18 clubs with recruiting departments who did more research on these kids than a couple of hours watching youtube clips and making an assumption. They all passed on a number of those highly 'BigFooty/AFL.com/Herald Sun/The Age' rated kids, some of them a number of times. This is because they have spent the best part of 3 years following these kids watching them week after week and compiling hours and hours of game footage. So for all us wannabe experts, I'm including myself in that as well, maybe it's time that we actually backed our recruiting staff and waited until these kids play a few games first before writing them off.

I'm not saying we can't voice disapproval with the picks, but trying to suggest that we know more than these guys is rather embarrassing for those that do it. Voice your disapproval but lets stop labeling kids failures before they even start.
What the * is this!!!!
A logical and rational assessment, GTFO!!!
;):p:p:p:p:rolleyes:

Personally looking forward to Knightmare's analysis.

1. Brayden Sier
2. Tom Phillips
3. Rupert Wills
4. Ben Crocker
3rd last. Nathan Broad
2nd last Oleg Markov
last. Daniel Rioli

;)
Are you saying he is biased :eek: I wondered what the more posts areas were for.

Last edited:

Reduced interchange cap will see those with big tanks become important late in games, add in speed to those that can run all day and you get players who can really break open games.

Reduced interchange cap will see those with big tanks become important late in games, add in speed to those that can run all day and you get players who can really break open games.
Dont think we should underestimate the impact this will have next year, also no sub anymore . Would like to think we have planned and recruited for this, and the emphasis on high athletic performers seems to be where the football dept see the game going.

Might have something to do with the scaling down of the interchanges per qtr/match and the now defunct(thank God) sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually Daniel is taller just not as heavy, so both of us were half wrong :p
if hes taller then you would have expected him to be heavier at the same age.as i said cyril was a telly tubby and Daniel is not ahead of him in terms of body size,but he may have been in terms of fitness although Cyril did do some damage as a teenager.

And given Dusty will need about 40 rotations a game our reliance on those with a tank will be even greater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back