News 2015 Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Im setting my alarm for 6am tomorrow. I am sure Mr 'we just want it to be fair for all' will be on triple m in the morning criticising the AFL for his team only having to leave Melbourne 5 times in the entire season.

Im setting my alarm for 6am tomorrow. I am sure Mr 'we just want it to be fair for all' will be on triple m in the morning criticising the AFL for his team only having to leave Melbourne 5 times in the entire season.

Round 2-7 all in Melbourne (5 in a row at the MCG)
Rounds 9-11 MCG
Rounds 16-23 7 out of the 8 in Melbourne.

Brisbane Lions have an agreement with the AFL as part of their merger to play 6 games in Melbourne.

That gets watered down so much because a) they are forced to play in Geelong and b) they are classed as a Victorian side by the AFL and Hawks so the Hawks meet their agreement with the Tasmanian Government to play 2 "Victorian Clubs" down there.

So while GWS get 6 games at either the MCG or Etihad next year with no support in Melbourne, the two interstate clubs with the largest membership bases are both give 5 games in Victoria with each having to go to Geelong and Brisbane being forced to play as a "Victorian" club in Tasmania.

So thats why we are angry down here.

Rules for some and fairness for some

Won't help them though. Frontrunner Pendlebury & oneway runner Swan will be exposed for the bludgers they are without Beams. Throw in a Defence with more spuds than Vic Market and a pop gun attack led by a Neanderthal more akin to an ape than a centre half forward, along with a recruit from Melbourne that has the integrity of Peter Foster and his herbal tea and they are going to need more than a favourable fixture. They are putrid.

Folks understand its a national comp what they can't forgive is how GWS without a support base in Victoria gets 6 games?

In an effort to build a Victorian support base it's possible that was their main fixturing request.
Ours was obviously Fri/Sat night games.

The AFL will at least try to meet the main requests of the clubs.

If we wanted to focus on more Vic games then we could have prioritised them.

For once I don't think this is the AFL's fault.

We get out of Sydney 10 times, 50% of that is in Vic
I'm stoked our WA & QLD brothers & Sisters get to see us twice and SA crew sadly just the once (although Tippo may not care to much) - the wider our reach the better off we are for obvious reasons,
I'm not here to disagree with my fellow Vic based crew,but what we are arguing is to limit even further the opportunity the remainder of our National fans get to see our team, as that's the equation for more games in Vic the less they see, the only other option will be don't play GWS twice,that ain't guna happen

Haven't seen much of the draw yet but I don't mind it. 10 games across 4 states will never be even. I don't mind going to Geelong since we didn't go last year. Just a personal thing I guess.

Collingwood at the SCG, that is fantastic.

Sorry other Vic members, I'll be getting my membership.

I like our double ups. Other than GWS can see them all being good games

Overall I like the fixture
Positives:
- Collingwood at the SCG
- 3 Friday night games & a Thursday night game
- Good away trips like Port & the Gold Coast. I personally like Brisbane as I stay with relatives
- Playing games we were due to play after a few years without them such as Freo in Perth, North & St Kilda in Melbourne.
- The season running closer together with 1 bye and early April start. I hated having in effect 3 byes last year.

Negatives:
- Only 4 in Melbourne & 2 at the MCG
- 2 trips to Perth (Not much we can do. AFL make everyone go to Perth at least once & a few go twice, this year its our turn)
- Predominantly night games both home & away that may make it difficult for families to attend
- No West Coast at the SCG
- No Sunday home games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough fixture.

Man, I wish we won the flag this year.

Good! We play better when it is tough. Those easy games dead set killed our momentum last year. We don't need it again.

We get out of Sydney 10 times, 50% of that is in Vic
I'm stoked our WA & QLD brothers & Sisters get to see us twice and SA crew sadly just the once (although Tippo may not care to much) - the wider our reach the better off we are for obvious reasons,
I'm not here to disagree with my fellow Vic based crew,but what we are arguing is to limit even further the opportunity the remainder of our National fans get to see our team, as that's the equation for more games in Vic the less they see, the only other option will be don't play GWS twice,that ain't guna happen

What you are missing is that there is a special class of membership called a Victorian Swans membership. It's probably not as much as a Sydney membership but for me it's over $300.

For that I get 5 Victorian games. One of those I haven't a hope of getting in to. Another (if this year's experience against Hawthorn is anything to go by) I'll get stuck in the boon docks somewhere if I can get in at all.

Then if, and it's a big if, we make the Grand Final I can pay another couple of hundred for a standing room ticket where a third of the ground will be behind a pillar.

The idea behind the membership is that you should get to walk in to 6 Victorian Swans fixtures. What is delivered isn't close to that.

I'm not that filthy on the club this year. They certainly don't have a shortage of fights on with the AFL and you have to pick which ones to fight. But 4 games for what we pay is a disgrace.

What you are missing is that there is a special class of membership called a Victorian Swans membership. It's probably not as much as a Sydney membership but for me it's over $300.

For that I get 5 Victorian games. One of those I haven't a hope of getting in to. Another (if this year's experience against Hawthorn is anything to go by) I'll get stuck in the boon docks somewhere if I can get in at all.

Then if, and it's a big if, we make the Grand Final I can pay another couple of hundred for a standing room ticket where a third of the ground will be behind a pillar.

The idea behind the membership is that you should get to walk in to 6 Victorian Swans fixtures. What is delivered isn't close to that.

I'm not that filthy on the club this year. They certainly don't have a shortage of fights on with the AFL and you have to pick which ones to fight. But 4 games for what we pay is a disgrace.
I missed no point mate,I'm a Full blooded Gold Vic member and have been for 20+ yrs so very aware of what it's entitlements are, you quote "should get" with respect the packages are released post fixture, so you know exactly what you are buying, you can by varying ranges of membership,I chose this one along with my family all 6 of us,
So please I don't need the Vic lecture,
If you had actually read what I posted, is that we play away from Sydney 10times,5 of which are in Vic, I believe it is great that our remaining supporters get the opportunity to see our team
If you don't like the value of your package change it, I won't argue as value of product and what individuals are after or looking for remains their Decision, but I will argue we are all entitled to see our club play, to argue to the counter is to argue that other supporters due to their geography are not as worthy,
But respect your opinion, and as a matter of course we live in the same vicinity just as an irrelevant way of removing any frustration we maybe sharing

I missed no point mate,I'm a Full blooded Gold Vic member and have been for 20+ yrs so very aware of what it's entitlements are, you quote "should get" with respect the packages are released post fixture, so you know exactly what you are buying, you can by varying ranges of membership,I chose this one along with my family all 6 of us,
So please I don't need the Vic lecture,
If you had actually read what I posted, is that we play away from Sydney 10times,5 of which are in Vic, I believe it is great that our remaining supporters get the opportunity to see our team
If you don't like the value of your package change it, I won't argue as value of product and what individuals are after or looking for remains their Decision, but I will argue we are all entitled to see our club play, to argue to the counter is to argue that other supporters due to their geography are not as worthy,
But respect your opinion, and as a matter of course we live in the same vicinity just as an irrelevant way of removing any frustration we maybe sharing

I wasn't meaning to lecture so forgive me if it came across as that.

My point was, and yes I'll still pay up, that we pay for what is on the fixture then find ourselves shafted as the year goes by. So this year what you're seeing are Vic supporters like me saying "It's not just that it's only 5 Victorian games, but one is already a write off and another we'll get shafted on seats anyway." Plus there's the Grand Final ticketing experience.

We pay for what is supposed to be a membership experience, but have you ever tried to get into Etihad for an Essendon game? Why aren't they at the MCG? Why is the Geelong game not at Etihad? Why deliberately schedule a match at a stadium that you know won't hold the crowd when there are two alternative stadiums that will?

I'm not so much having a go at the Swans, more at the AFL who are simply snubbing 10,000 paying members.

By the way, I'm one of ten Swans family full blooded gold members. Mum isn't in it. She's Carlton.

I wasn't meaning to lecture so forgive me if it came across as that.

My point was, and yes I'll still pay up, that we pay for what is on the fixture then find ourselves shafted as the year goes by. So this year what you're seeing are Vic supporters like me saying "It's not just that it's only 5 Victorian games, but one is already a write off and another we'll get shafted on seats anyway." Plus there's the Grand Final ticketing experience.

We pay for what is supposed to be a membership experience, but have you ever tried to get into Etihad for an Essendon game? Why aren't they at the MCG? Why is the Geelong game not at Etihad? Why deliberately schedule a match at a stadium that you know won't hold the crowd when there are two alternative stadiums that will?

I'm not so much having a go at the Swans, more at the AFL who are simply snubbing 10,000 paying members.

By the way, I'm one of ten Swans family full blooded gold members. Mum isn't in it. She's Carlton.
Well said Bruce, that stuck it up him.

Good point Mase, we've had Sunday games for so long it feels weird not having them, but in recent years Saturday home games have been popular, we got 41,000 against Port this year on a Saturday afternoon. I don't mind the 4:35pm starts on Saturdays as people with kids can still get home at a reasonable time.

I am a Gold 11 Premiership Club member with a reserved seat at the SCG & ANZ and I buy my own ticket for Melbourne games but I do sympathise for our Victorian fans. Its hard to comprehend for swans fans who don't travel interstate how many South supporters there are still supporting the club. We outnumbered Melbourne fans in Round 6, that stunned me being my first game at the MCG. I also went walking through South Melbourne that afternoon and also admired how a number of people, seeing me in Swans colours yelled,' Go swans', at me. I went down for three other games. The first, the Essendon game, I had to pay $50 for a Level 1 seat. Understandable for me as it isn't in my membership but this should be in the membership of Victorian members - the upgrade to a reserved seat shouldn't cost as much as it would if you didn't. The third, the Hawthorn game in Round 18, I got a reserved seat on Level 1 of the Ponsford (I couldn't get a Level 1 seat in the Southern or Olympic stand for some reason) whereas the general admission area in the top tier was full of Swans fans right to the back of the stand. The Grand final was the last game and I went down from Sydney for the day and I actually had people begging me for my grand final ticket. I sympathise with our Melbourne fans and members who love our club as much as Sydney fans do, even though some (but by no means all) Sydney-based fans (particularly on the clubs Facebook page today) don't seem to though. This being said no one should blame the club for aspects of the fixture they don't like, blame the AFL and keep the pressure on them to correct them - as the swans did to get Collingwood at the SCG. I will be at all Sydney games and will try and get to at least 3 Melbourne games, just to share some game days with the club's Melbourne fans, its much less hostile at the MCG against Melbourne than it was at the Adelaide oval against Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back