2015 Fixture (who did well and who got unlucky)

Remove this Banner Ad

On the saints - absolutely shafted with sunday games galore and four sunday twilight, and seven interstate games. be a hard sell for members. On the plus side, we actually play the other bottom six twice this year, but how do we travel 7 times and melbourne only 3 times?
Welcome to being at the bottom, come join your old friends Brisbane, Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs in all of our mediocrity.

Yeah it sucks mate. We copped 15 Sunday games last season including 6 320s and 5 440s and a "Sunday nighter" in the west.

We have a more "family friendly" fixture next year with 13 Saturday's, but the main flaws are we play 7 interstate sides at home and only 4 Victorian sides home and only 8 FTA games with 3 home and 5 away. Our fixture sucks from a marketing point of view, we will have poor attendances in at least 6 home games, perhaps 8 if St Kilda/Melbourne are poor again (6 interstate sides at Etihad, Gold Coast is at Cairns). The negative also from playing so many interstate teams at home is that we play all the strong Victorian sides away and will probably get smashed. We will be relying on handouts big-time again

When the TV rights shareholders get together (Channel 7), they don't want to see us at all, unless we are top 8.

At least you get a Friday night game.

And relating to this thread so I don't derail it, Carlton did really bloody well. Look at all that prime time exposure. Not bad for a team who only won 7 and a 1/2 games last season.

Collingwood did well too, only 2, 6 day breaks.

I think I'm pretty happy with what we've got. Perhaps more six day breaks than I'd like.

I'm still annoyed that WA teams have to play in Tassie, unless we can get direct flights. Last time I checked, we still have to swap planes in Melbourne. Two flights to play a match is just putting extra wear and tear on players who already have to fly at least ten times per season.

The timing of games is pretty irrelevant to me, it's the opposition and location that are important. To be honest, I'm happy to stay home on Friday nights and watch the footy on TV. Lots of Saturday home games suits me fine.

I would be very happy to see the season made even by cutting it to seventeen active rounds for each team. Play every other team once. Give every team three byes per year. Reverse the fixtures in alternate years. Everybody is happy. (Except for the money crunchers.)

Carlton and Richmond were kissed on the rick by fairies.

None of their Fri night spots are earned. Richmond's final showed just how far they are off in reality.

If they don't capitalize on primetime they should put the bulldogs in that spot to guve them sn economic uplift.
We say this every year, but it won't happen until the Dogs are back in the 8, even the top 4.

Richmond should be competitive but I am really dumbfounded about why Carlton gets so much prime time. Remember the Port Carlton Friday nighter in round 22? Could see that happening regularly when they play these top 8 sides on Fridays and Saturday's, even Sydney and Essendon belted them in primetime last season.

From a pure football perspective, Carlton don't deserve the Friday night gifts they've received.

From a ratings and crowd perspective, they do. Thems the breaks.

I do think it is wrong that some clubs don't get any Friday night action at all. My solution...

44 spots for Friday night (22 rounds, 2 teams) Last round is subjective.
HOME
Each club should get a home game. (18)
Top 4 get an extra home game. (4)
AWAY
Top 8 get an away game. (8)
Premier gets an extra away game. (1)
8 away are given to Collingwood/Richmond/Carlton/Essendon
--- 2 each of which at least 1 of those MUST be interstate (8)
1 away to North (pioneers and all that) at the 'G against one of Coll/Rich/Carl/Ess (1)
4 away to be determined by the AFL. Maybe to facilitate rivalry or derby, to offset a bad fixture, or to reward improvement. (4)

So for 2015...
Hawthorn, Top 4 and premier, get 2 Friday night home games and 2 away.
Sydney get 2 home games and 1 away.
Collingwood get 1 home game and 2 away
Carlton get 1 home game and 2 away
Richmond get 1 home game and 3 away
Essendon get 1 home game and 3 away
WB get 1 home game
GWS get 1 home game (and I'd have them play the Dogs in round 3 or 4 because of what happened off-season)

Bottom 6 clubs would have to play their home game in the first 12 rounds before the wheels potentially fall off their season again.

If Carlton won the 2015 premiership, then in 2016 they would get
2 home, 4 away.
And there's the justification for 6 games.

I think every team should have to be fixtured for one Thursday or Friday game a season. What have the Tigers or Blues done to deserve 7 and 6 Friday night games? Friday nights are going to be shocking if those teams are s**t again. Of course top teams should get more and higher drawing teams should get a few more (not the lions share like the tigers or blues though)

Also certain teams never having to go to certain venues is pretty unfair. No SCG for WCE since 2010 or Gabba for Hawks since 2005 is pretty ordinary, and I'm sure they aren't the only examples.

Can an eagles supporter tell me why the eagles request to play us at subi every year? Bit puzzled by it tbh.

Every team plays each other once and , although there are vagaries about whether you play them home or away, it breaks about even. So one way of looking at who got the easiest draw is the double ups. So I tried to get some ides by rating this season and applying them to next season ( which doesn't always work as teams vary from year to year) However for this year:
1pt-Hawthorn, Sydney, Port
2pts-North, Freo, Geelong
3pts-Essendon, Richmond, West Coast, Adelaide, Collingwood, Gold Coast
4pts-Carlton, Brisbane, Bulldogs, GWS
5pts-Melbourne, St Kilda

Adding the points with double ups with hardest to easiest from lowest points to highest gives:
10pts-Geelong
11pts-Hawthorn, Sydney, Port
13pts-Adelaide
14pts-Freo, Essendon, North, Richmond
15pts-Gold Coast, Carlton
16pts-West Coast, Brisbane
17pts-Collingwood
18pts-Bulldogs, GWS, Melbourne
19pts-St Kilda

So relative to where they finished this year, the losers are Geelong, Adelaide and the winners Collingwood and North but make of it what you will :)

Love all the MCG games on Saturday arvo.
There's a few more are at night or twilight that could easily be swapped with another game to get the arvo timeslot, DreamTime being the one exception that should be left alone obviously... is there some sort of quota as to what time slots need to apply to games at the MCG or is it just TV dictating things?

I suggested before that the AFL/MCC could sell a "Saturday Series" ticket... a ticket that gets you into all the Saturday games at the MCG with almost all of them in the afternoon.

Like the way we are finally travelling to Subi to play Freo.
They've earnt that game and been very difficult to get it into the fixture with WCE requesting that game every year. I thought it might come at the expense of the WCE game, and it means we have given away playing either of the WA teams at home this year, but hey its an overdue game.
Friday nights at the SCG !! Carlton Richmond and Collingwood !! HUGEMUNGUS

About time Pies had to play us at the SCG.

Are either Hawthorn or Pies travelling to Kardinia Pk this year ?
Well I LOL! Where are you going to put all the supporters? We watching from the flag poles?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

17 of the 21 Friday night games involve Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton. Be a yawnfest by mid season.
Wish the AFL would stop calling it a fixture or a draw. It is AFL compromised appointments based on revenue raising.
Couldn't be more spot on! Although as a tigers supporter not complaining lol

How many teams have to play 3 games in two weeks again while traveling interstate for two of those games?

Well we play the first three games on Saturdays and the 2nd and 3rd games are both interstate is that what you mean? After that we only have one more interstate away game (2 NT home games which doesn't count) for the rest of the year which is quite remarkable although when you get scheduled all the non-Vic clubs at home it kinda makes sense I guess.

Welcome to being at the bottom, come join your old friends Brisbane, Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs in all of our mediocrity.

Yeah it sucks mate. We copped 15 Sunday games last season including 6 320s and 5 440s and a "Sunday nighter" in the west.

We have a more "family friendly" fixture next year with 13 Saturday's, but the main flaws are we play 7 interstate sides at home and only 4 Victorian sides home and only 8 FTA games with 3 home and 5 away. Our fixture sucks from a marketing point of view, we will have poor attendances in at least 6 home games, perhaps 8 if St Kilda/Melbourne are poor again (6 interstate sides at Etihad, Gold Coast is at Cairns). The negative also from playing so many interstate teams at home is that we play all the strong Victorian sides away and will probably get smashed. We will be relying on handouts big-time again

When the TV rights shareholders get together (Channel 7), they don't want to see us at all, unless we are top 8.

At least you get a Friday night game.

And relating to this thread so I don't derail it, Carlton did really bloody well. Look at all that prime time exposure. Not bad for a team who only won 7 and a 1/2 games last season.

Collingwood did well too, only 2, 6 day breaks.
Collingwood have eight six day breaks which is the equal most with Geelong...do you people even look at it before you quote incorrect stats.

Carlton and Richmond were kissed on the rick by fairies.

None of their Fri night spots are earned. Richmond's final showed just how far they are off in reality.

If they don't capitalize on primetime they should put the bulldogs in that spot to guve them sn economic uplift.

tumblr_lh6sayYpIJ1qzaxefo1_400.gif

Why do the Blues, Pies and Tigers get so many friday night games? is it still 1981?

The last thing the AFL would want is Hawks with 10 Friday night games as Hawthorn versus 16 other teams will likely be a slaughter, a non event (see GF for proof of this). I prefer to watch Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon & Richmond games over any other teams and obviously I am not alone, henced the biased TV schedule. There are a lot of things in life that are not fair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back