List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paddy , is a 50 to 1 shot min. Id still rather put time into him than a VFL player like Banjanin though.
Toohey , big raw tall that has a nice left foot . A bit like Ben Graham
Hamling could be a bit better than what you are crediting him with.

Bates is a chance as a small defender but long shot as well

Toohey sounds interesting.
Wasn't meant to sound mean to Hamling sorry just haven't seen him much, happy to be proven wrong!
Yeah I liked the look of him but his Cyril-like hamstrings aren't good...

Toohey sounds interesting.
Wasn't meant to sound mean to Hamling sorry just haven't seen him much, happy to be proven wrong!
Yeah I liked the look of him but his Cyril-like hamstrings aren't good...

Not sure if a son, but Bernard Toohey was a gun who played for us as a defender throughout the early-mid eighties. Poached by Sydney when we flicked Hafey and he took a chunk of our list with him. If any relation we can't get under F/S, as less than 100 games.

Just saying, as the saying goes.

That's an interesting one! I did wonder that. Has Hawkins surpassed Brownless? I think we need two more good seasons from Hawkins to say that.

His dad could get a run in that backline though......

I think Hawkins is probably ahead of Bill now. Saw Brownless play 2 ripping finals games against the Bulldogs at the MCG and Saints at VFL park but Hawkins has now put a couple of decent finals series together. I think Hawkins superior contested marking gets him over the line (just). By the end of his career there shouldn't be any argument.

That's an interesting one! I did wonder that. Has Hawkins surpassed Brownless? I think we need two more good seasons from Hawkins to say that.

His dad could get a run in that backline though......

His tragically-underrated grandfather deserves a spot in the ruck, too.

I think Hawkins is probably ahead of Bill now. Saw Brownless play 2 ripping finals games against the Bulldogs at the MCG and Saints at VFL park but Hawkins has now put a couple of decent finals series together. I think Hawkins superior contested marking gets him over the line (just). By the end of his career there shouldn't be any argument.

Agreed, by the end of Hawkins career he may eclipse Bill. But he needs to get a wriggle on. Brownless played 198 games for 441 goals, and that was in a forward line that included Ablett (snr), Stoneham, and at other times Excell and Lindner, who were bag kicking forwards also. Tommy has 147 games for 286 goals. True, the game is different now, and key forwards kick less goals. And Hawkins presence as a forward is greater than Billies. But i stand by my other post: i need at least one, maybe two more seasons at his (Hawkins) current out-put to out him above Brownless. I'm confident he will get there.

I reckon Billy was a better mark than Tom and a better kick. Not as good in big games but going by totality throughout their careers to date, Hawkins is very close now, but not quite past bustling Billy just yet.

Agreed, the space between them gets closer. IMO Billy was a more 'gifted' footballer than Hawkins skill-wise. He had some incredible natural ability, and a leap and agility Tom doesn't have. But Hawkins has a physique and an ability to use it that Brownless never had. Hawkins is closer a contemporary and more mobile version of a Lockett. Brownless was tall, but didn't have the physical presence.

Last edited:
Not sure if a son, but Bernard Toohey was a gun who played for us as a defender throughout the early-mid eighties. Poached by Sydney when we flicked Hafey and he took a chunk of our list with him. If any relation we can't get under F/S, as less than 100 games.

Just saying, as the saying goes.
Our current Toohey is not related to our former Toohey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was he the best 15 we had, or Riccardi?
I really rated BT- tough, fast, skilled, great mark. Can see why Hafey nabbed him.

He was all that, agreed.

FWIW, Williams was a monty to go because we had a weird pay structure back then, whereby he wasn't 'senior enough' in games played to get the kind of money he deserved and that Sydney were prepared to pay him, i.e., he hadn't been there long enough to make more than M. Turner. We lost Wiliams over an issue of about 10 K or so, which was stupid even then.

My understanding is that Toohey and Bolton were not the only players who were prepared to go with Hafey, others wanted to stay playing under him. But the SFC were only interested in those two, along with Williams.

Toss of the coin between Toohey and Riccardi for best number 15. Riccardi probably wins through games played, but Toohey was very very good while at Geelong in defense. Schroder has that number now, unless I'm mistaken?

Was he the best 15 we had, or Riccardi?
I really rated BT- tough, fast, skilled, great mark. Can see why Hafey nabbed him.

I reckon it has to be Riccardi by weight of numbers alone, 288 games for Geelong and a bee's appendage from averaging a very respectable goal-per-game, with 286.
Toohey though was definitely a very talented half-back - could also go forward and kick a goal.
Played 263 games - 94 with the Cats.. his was a big loss somewhat overshadowed by the simultaneous departure of Greg Williams (also, Craig Bolton).

Riccardi was always one of my personal favourites though, and I thought he played some of his best football when the club was at it's most mediocre, for which I was very grateful at the time; he was one worth watching in a pretty dour Geelong group: quick, skillful, left-footed, good dummy/baulk, hit his targets and could get onto a torp off one step - never earned an All-Australian selection, thought he was a bit unlucky in that regard. 1 B&F.

edit : must've been typing just a bit slower than you, Nankervis brothers ;)

He was all that, agreed.

FWIW, Williams was a monty to go because we had a weird pay structure back then, whereby he wasn't 'senior enough' in games played to get the kind of money he deserved and that Sydney were prepared to pay him, i.e., he hadn't been there long enough to make more than M. Turner. We lost Wiliams over an issue of about 10 K or so, which was stupid even then.

Yeah I heard Williams say he asked for 10K payrise and the club refused. So Williams walked because he had a bond with Hafey and the Swans offered him a bit more. If the club hadn't been such dumb shits in those days and gave Diesel the money we probably would've won a flag in the 90's. Imagine a Midfield of Bourke, Bews, Bairstow, Williams, McGrath, Buddha etc. There was too much inbred club politics happening in those days. Something I'm glad the club has grown out of now and become very professional in its dealings. Not to say that there isn't internal politics, all organisations have them, but compared to the 70-90's it has improved out of sight.

Last edited:
Guys, was told some information today which I found quite interesting. Absolutely no idea how credible the source is, so make what you will of it...

- "Schroder will be off to Essendon...going by my chat with him today"
- "Mitch Brown is likley to stay unless other clubs want him"
- "Hunt, Burbury are gone"
- "Cats are circling Nathan Jones as well"

Thoughts?

Agreed, by the end of Hawkins career he may eclipse Bill. But he needs to get a wriggle on. Brownless played 198 games for 441 goals, and that was in a forward line that included Ablett (snr), Stoneham, and at other times Excell and Lindner, who were bag kicking forwards also. Tommy has 147 games for 286 goals. True, the game is different now, and key forwards kick less goals. And Hawkins presence as a forward is greater than Billies. But i stand by my other post: i need at least one, maybe two more seasons at his (Hawkins) current out-put to out him above Brownless. I'm confident he will get there.
Don't forget Tom was gifted his first 80 or so games on potential - his goals average would be much lower then compared to his last 50 games or so.

Agreed, the space between them gets closer. IMO Billy was a more 'gifted' footballer than Hawkins skill-wise. He had some incredible natural ability, and a leap and agility Tom doesn't have. But Hawkins has a physique and an ability to use it that Brownless never had. Hawkins is closer a contemporary and more mobile version of a Lockett. Brownless was tall, but didn't have the physical presence.
Brownless was always unfit too and got a few injuries. Hawkins was definatly the better contested mark, takes the best defender and often gets double teamed. Id have Hawkins over Brownless any day.

Ah, Fred Le Deux! Before my time, but he was a principal at a school I attended in Geelong as a young kid. I didn't make the connection at first. Oh, hang on, is that you Mr Le Deux?

No; someone else mentioned he was their Principal, but I'm not him, he was just one of my favourites when I used to watch them as a kid, mainly because of the unusual name.

PS Dad used to think it very funny, because he wasn't really a very good player, he fitted right in in 1957-58

Guys, was told some information today which I found quite interesting. Absolutely no idea how credible the source is, so make what you will of it...

- "Schroder will be off to Essendon...going by my chat with him today"
- "Mitch Brown is likley to stay unless other clubs want him"
- "Hunt, Burbury are gone"
- "Cats are circling Nathan Jones as well"

Thoughts?
Nathan jones? I hope so, he would be sensational pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back