List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was close to pulling the pin at the end of last year by all accounts and didn't want to go to GWS and be managed through the season like he will be this year. He wanted to remain at the club who's given him 3 flags and have one final tilt at another.
Well let's play him forward now!!
I think out of the older guys he is the one that could play another 2 by playing him deep forward the running wouldn't help him playing mid
:thumbsu:
Yep- a 50-60 goal season from one of the best in the game (not to mention the 50 goal assists!) would be a great way to see him finish!

I'm rather bullish on Darcy Lang turning out to be one of our better players in the future. Has a little mixture of Enright/Kelly about his style out there. Though, I haven't even heard one single mention of his name this summer
sconfused_100-134.gif
Keeping him under wraps, Bobby. He can be another Secret Weapon.

I'm rather bullish on Darcy Lang turning out to be one of our better players in the future. Has a little mixture of Enright/Kelly about his style out there. Though, I haven't even heard one single mention of his name this summer
sconfused_100-134.gif

I'm yet to be convince of anything but good average player atm,......true he didn't have a great start 2014 but his convalescence was well and truly over apart from certain restrictions in the pre-season.
It would've held him back for the first couple of months last year, his later progression reasonable considering but certainly not particularly outstanding.
What I'm saying is, I'm far from convinced he's a future star but waiting for him to produce that potential in 2015.

Last edited:
I was given some news today regarding Steve Johnson from someone close enough to him who's remained frequently in touch since they went on the Kokoda trek together.

This will apparently be SJ's last year of league football. He's been constantly sore for the best part of 4 years and is going to pull the pin at the end of 2015 so as he can remain refreshed enough to take the trek again in April 2016. Basically he's body is struggling to handle the rigors of day to day life as an AFL player and he wants to have one last tilt at the premiership this year before he retires.
That seems consistent with what I found out last year. Last season at the game vs Essendon I think (if not it was r12 vs Carlton) Steve's father was sitting next to us and told us that essentially for the last 12-18- months (at that point in time) he was having regular epidurals just to get through a season and was at times struggling to get out of bed.

Essentially his back is ****ed:(

I sense a flurry of comments sayin: 'well if the club knew this why didn't they trade him'
No no there'll be the complaints that they didn't let us know:rolleyes:

Looking forward...
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...237555994?sv=e71be4fce2e45fcc46dc38ff638e937d

Cashed-up Richmond will be at the front of the queue for top-end talent, while clubs like Geelong chasing Adelaide’s Patrick Dangerfield could also strike.

While its only speculation , it doesn't surprise me that club would be looking to rip into both the northern clubs. GC must be close to "having" to get into finals. If they fall short pressure will be on. GWS must simply improve or some players will just shrug their shoulders and look elsewhere.

So depending on retirements I guess nothing is out of the question , but Id be happy just get something done. Have to say Devon Smith would be a handy pickup

Would love one of the GWS boys.
Surely the AFL will not allow the Giants to be ransacked.
I mean, the AFL distorted the competition for several years to get them up and running, and I cannot imagine it will all be allowed to immediately crumble.

However, if these players are available then we should definitely take a good look.

I'd prefer the club to go after Jake Kola's brother than any of the GWS boys.

Im sure we would like him but he would one the hardest kids to move , rated highly by GC , one of their best runners , moving him into the midfield this year. etc. and so far we have had limited success grabbing the disgruntled. And don't forget , these kids will require trades.

I mean, the AFL distorted the competition for several years to get them up and running, and I cannot imagine it will all be allowed to immediately crumble.

However, if these players are available then we should definitely take a good look.

If you take on board last years trade period , that I feel is more what the AFL want. Less of the AFL Recruitment mangers wet dream and more a competitive winning club that has a chance of holding their head up in a land where they are looked upon as Gaijin . They may as well be the GWS Foreign Devils as far as the media is concerned. Setting it with kids was meant to be complemented by mature players. Instead they went even harder with kids. Well in the last year or two they got the message. Mumford , Shaw now Griffen and the look at whet they offered for SJ , If they had come with that offer with enough time to consider and arrange who know , SJ may be a Giant now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you take on board last years trade period , that I feel is more what the AFL want. Less of the AFL Recruitment mangers wet dream and more a competitive winning club that has a chance of holding their head up in a land where they are looked upon as Gaijin . They may as well be the GWS Foreign Devils as far as the media is concerned. Setting it with kids was meant to be complemented by mature players. Instead they went even harder with kids. Well in the last year or two they got the message. Mumford , Shaw now Griffen and the look at whet they offered for SJ , If they had come with that offer with enough time to consider and arrange who know , SJ may be a Giant now.
Fair point. Losing youth via trades for experience may be a natural and necessary correction.

I guess Silvagni's experiment will turn out a failure. It always seemed ego-driven and simplistic to me.

Looking forward...
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...237555994?sv=e71be4fce2e45fcc46dc38ff638e937d

Cashed-up Richmond will be at the front of the queue for top-end talent, while clubs like Geelong chasing Adelaide’s Patrick Dangerfield could also strike.

While its only speculation , it doesn't surprise me that club would be looking to rip into both the northern clubs. GC must be close to "having" to get into finals. If they fall short pressure will be on. GWS must simply improve or some players will just shrug their shoulders and look elsewhere.

So depending on retirements I guess nothing is out of the question , but Id be happy just get something done. Have to say Devon Smith would be a handy pickup

I just think for obvious reasons our key focus will be on getting one or both of Dangerfield and Selwood to the club, and any other players will be very much a secondary priority.

That said when I look at our existing list I can see us turning over 8-10 players quite easily and judging by likely retirements we will have a large amount of cap room, so being active chasing other players isn't out of the question.

I don't think they had a lot of choice re getting mature players, Turbo- unfortunately for them, things didn't go the same way as they did for the GCFC. I think all of the clubs were wary of being raided for marquee players after the GCFC act of daylight robbery and held on to their decent experienced players tightly. I remember Sheedy complaining about it at the time. Then the GWS went and took all the tall lads at the next (compromised) draft, didn't they? I'd say that this was a fair indication that they would hold the other clubs to ransom and trade these lads for experience further down the track.

As much as I'm loathed to bring up the subject Turbo, but do you reckon by seasons end we might consider moving on one of Stevie J, Stokesy, etc?
If we get Dangerfield we're going to need salary cap space and team space, now that you're mentioning GWS players who might desire a Melbourne based traditional club environment and come south.
I'd consider it negligent of Geelong if we didn't investigate the prospects available for our team in the coming years.
If we continue finishing high with high picks we'll eventually fall, we also need smart trade work to secure disgruntled players that were forced interstate to remain a flag contender imo.
Why waste that opportunity?

Last edited:

Off topic I guess but the resident NRL club the Gold Coast Titans have only this week gone into receivership and been taken over by the League,a brand new stadium and a railway line and station right at the front door made it the easiest place in the world to get to and out of, the Goldie market can be a real pack of poo ticket,this will be the 3rd possibly 4th NRL club to fail on the coast (NRL heart land)and we all remember the Bears or do we.Good luck to the Suns if there's no premiership period as was seen with the Lions and I put GWS in the same boat.

Off topic I guess but the resident NRL club the Gold Coast Titans have only this week gone into receivership and been taken over by the League,a brand new stadium and a railway line and station right at the front door made it the easiest place in the world to get to and out of, the Goldie market can be a real pack of poo ticket,this will be the 3rd possibly 4th NRL club to fail on the coast (NRL heart land)and we all remember the Bears or do we.Good luck to the Suns if there's no premiership period as was seen with the Lions and I put GWS in the same boat.

According to Brian Cook, the size of supporter base drives "all club revenue sources – members, attendees, coteries and even sponsorship income"; and even with sustained success and good management, GCS/GWS will not catch Brisbane/Sydney in supporter base size "for many decades and perhaps forever".

As much as I'm loathed to bring up the subject Turbo, but do you reckon by seasons end we might consider moving on one of Stevie J, Stokesy, etc?

Pretty sure we will have ample cap room with Enright, Rivers, Hmac and possibly Kelly and Johnson pulling the pin.
There is no need to sell the farm.

Do you think it has something to do with being too touristy with so many of the GC inhabitants being blow ins on vacation?

After all it's proving quite difficult for any sporting side to get a foothold on the Gold Coast as along with the club's you've mentioned there was also an A-league team too (owned by Clive Palmer iirc).

I read something a few years back about GC house prices being relatively low because it was hard to get people to want to live there, visit and holiday was no trouble but getting people to settle there was difficult.

Do you think it has something to do with being too touristy with so many of the GC inhabitants being blow ins on vacation?

After all it's proving quite difficult for any sporting side to get a foothold on the Gold Coast as along with the club's you've mentioned there was also an A-league team too (owned by Clive Palmer iirc).

I read something a few years back about GC house prices being relatively low because it was hard to get people to want to live there, visit and holiday was no trouble but getting people to settle there was difficult.
My family left Geelong and moved to the gold coast for a couple of years when I was a grommet. I said go bears once when i was about 5, never seen my old mans hand move so fast towards my backside. Look at the issues brisbane has had from shortly after their golden era, 2013 trade period showed how hard it is for a team not challenging for the flag up there, and this year would have been nothing special if not for one off personal circumstances from a couple of gun mids. As for GWS, their fate was sealed the moment the wanderers won their title. The battle for western sydney has been lost. Move the team to Tassie.

My family left Geelong and moved to the gold coast for a couple of years when I was a grommet. I said go bears once when i was about 5, never seen my old mans hand move so fast towards my backside. Look at the issues brisbane has had from shortly after their golden era, 2013 trade period showed how hard it is for a team not challenging for the flag up there, and this year would have been nothing special if not for one off personal circumstances from a couple of gun mids. As for GWS, their fate was sealed the moment the wanderers won their title. The battle for western sydney has been lost. Move the team to Tassie.

Tassie Wombats.. :cool:

Sounds good and will do better than the Giants…

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back