2015 Membership Thread - 70,000 MEMBERS! WE BROKE LAST YEARS RECORD!! ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Remove this Banner Ad

With news that the soccer may affect the number of games at the MCG next year for us, perhaps it is a smart move by the club to get members signed up before the 2015 draw is released later in the year. Plus, with us winning games at the moment / slight chance at finals, it is a good time to strike with the morale of the supporters up.

Last edited:
Committed Tiger so that'll happen by itself :)

I'm actually interested in what other Interstate members think of their membership? I know a bunch of people who support Richmond in Perth but they don't want a membership, they don't go to games, it doesn't impact their level of support, to them it's a no brainer. Is there anything you think could be improved that might get these people to change from supporters to members?

Personally I would think Fox Footy Membership packages would help, suggested as much last year but I'm sure there would need to be heaps of arrangements made in order to get that through, particularly since it probably needs to be an arrangement with Foxtel and the AFL. Maybe the club could look at other options like producing DVD packages that automatically get sent every 4 weeks or so? I just know that Interstaters without Foxtel can only see the game if it's broadcast on Free to Air, they download it or go to a pub (some of these just aren't possible for some people).

Maybe an online membership that give you access to all Richmond games via the streaming service. Sort of makes sense and could be managed through the club website as Telstra have the streaming rights.

Maybe an online membership that give you access to all Richmond games via the streaming service. Sort of makes sense and could be managed through the club website as Telstra have the streaming rights.

Think thats been looked at in the past, but the Telstra online media rights in Australia is a barrier (which is why its only offered to international members)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think thats been looked at in the past, but the Telstra online media rights in Australia is a barrier (which is why its only offered to international members)
What I'm suggesting is that a version of the AFL live subscription be offered in a membership package. I would have thought it would increase the subscriber base for Telstra and allow the club, not just Richmond, to offer another type of membership.

What I'm suggesting is that a version of the AFL live subscription be offered in a membership package. I would have thought it would increase the subscriber base for Telstra and allow the club, not just Richmond, to offer another type of membership.

why would Telstra agree? They would effectively be giving away their scrubscription rights, or selling them to the clubs at a bargain basement price.

Off memory the current annual subscription is $90, so you would need to add close to this to the cost of the membership

why would Telstra agree? They would effectively be giving away their scrubscription rights, or selling them to the clubs at a bargain basement price.

Off memory the current annual subscription is $90, so you would need to add close to this to the cost of the membership

Not quite selling it off cheaply. If they offered a one club package, i.e. you only get access to games involving your club, at a reduced rate that the club could on sell with a mark up as a membership then everyone wins assuming that the uptake on those memberships are people who wouldn't normally bother with the current AFL live offering.

Anecdotally the take up on the online subscriptions has been very low so it could be a way on increasing revenue for both Telstra and the clubs.

Either way it's a nice to have but I doubt it would happen.

Not quite selling it off cheaply. If they offered a one club package, i.e. you only get access to games involving your club, at a reduced rate that the club could on sell with a mark up as a membership then everyone wins assuming that the uptake on those memberships are people who wouldn't normally bother with the current AFL live offering.

Anecdotally the take up on the online subscriptions has been very low so it could be a way on increasing revenue for both Telstra and the clubs.

Either way it's a nice to have but I doubt it would happen.

Most people who would get the online subscription would only be using it to view their side, so not much of an increase.

Telstra has always been playing the long game on this, online streaming of live TV has been growing year on year

This season people have been buying the Telstra option over Foxtel, this wasn't even discussed on this forum last year. The demand for the very crappy FTA streaming sites has finally evolved into Freeview Plus, with many people (such as myself) viewing TV online via these sites now more than via the traditional box. Add to that the number of people watching world sport online and live, the market is a real one and it is growing.

Also if you start giving away streaming rights with memberships, this will only further add to the growth in hardware needed to cope with the demand at peak times. You need cash to pay for that, and under your plan Telstra is getting SFA to pay for that required expansion.

Telstra paid millions for these rights, and they are finally starting to get coin for them. They won't give them away for giggles.

FWIW for $90 a year, for all games, the Telstra option is a cost effective and reasonable one for anyone who wants a streaming option

Committed Tiger so that'll happen by itself :)

I'm actually interested in what other Interstate members think of their membership? I know a bunch of people who support Richmond in Perth but they don't want a membership, they don't go to games, it doesn't impact their level of support, to them it's a no brainer. Is there anything you think could be improved that might get these people to change from supporters to members?

Personally I would think Fox Footy Membership packages would help, suggested as much last year but I'm sure there would need to be heaps of arrangements made in order to get that through, particularly since it probably needs to be an arrangement with Foxtel and the AFL. Maybe the club could look at other options like producing DVD packages that automatically get sent every 4 weeks or so? I just know that Interstaters without Foxtel can only see the game if it's broadcast on Free to Air, they download it or go to a pub (some of these just aren't possible for some people).
Live in Adelaide now mate but have lived in Melbourne and Brisbane before and i all ways have a membership even if i cant attend all games as i understand no successful AFL club ever became successful without money, hell when i have a good win on a punt some of it all ways makes its way to the Tigs as well. If you have seen some of my posts though im a Tigers man through and through and possibly not the sanest of human beings walking around at times so the way i think may not be for everyone.

I like how they chose a marketing headline that won't backfire on them ie whatever it takes.

Drug taking - embrace the roar, nope.
Dusty drives a car into a swimming pool - embrace the roar, nope
Team bombs again - embrace the roar, nada.

It's bullet proof.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back