Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's been pushed out of his position by the likes of Crozier and Neale. We need goal kickers and last year he barely kicked any. Croz has developed his defensive game such that we don't lose the pressure applied by Mayne in the forward half of the field. Mayne has to go back or he has no position.
Agree with you on this. Mayne looked like he got his yips back.
He put his body on the line so many times and relied on his defensive role.
Was his role last year to be more defensive?
He seemed to palm off absolute sitters that was his bread and butter in 2013.

Slightly concerning that the boys are still needing advice on the fundamentals of goal kicking.

I noticed in the intra highlights that Taberners kicking action at goal from 40+ was atrocious. He tries to kick the living suitcase out of the footy with his whole body spinning around 180 in the process.

Tabs is a very poor kick at goal from a mark/free kick. I like his ability to play as a key forward BUT that kicking will cost unless it improves a lot.

Agree with you on this. Mayne looked like he got his yips back.
He put his body on the line so many times and relied on his defensive role.
Was his role last year to be more defensive?
He seemed to palm off absolute sitters that was his bread and butter in 2013.
I think it boiled down to Ross valuing his defensive pressure more than his goal kicking, which answers the question above about spotting up moving targets, as he would often make the contest, win the ball and dish it off to another player in front of goal. I wouldn't say he got his yips back – he certainly wasn't as bad as that year where he missed everything - he just wasn't thinking about kicking goals at all. If Croz can provide the contest as well as kick the goals, then Mayne can go and help shore up half back.

Last edited:
Could be wrong but I think having Mayne training as back gives Lyon more flexilibity.

Last year, we had Johnson, Silvagni and McPharlin all injuried in the finals. If we have Mayne as a back against the Swans our match ups would have better and against Port Mayne could I have played on Wingard.

I think Mayne will be used forward and back from game to game and quarter to quarter.

Tabs is a very poor kick at goal from a mark/free kick. I like his ability to play as a key forward BUT that kicking will cost unless it improves a lot.
Both Franklin and Cloke are/were very poor in front of goal and they cost an average of $925000 a year.

Hopefully Tabs gets it locked down earlier than those two.

To those saying Mayne has no place forward, what place down back does he have if all of McPharlin, Dawson, Johnson and Ibbo are fit? That group has big question marks over staying on the park, so I think it is likely Mayne is just a back up plan. Or maybe a specific matchup for someone like Gunston.

He would know forward play/structures well enough. If he is going to be a swingman, there would be more need to get his training into getting to know the structures down back. But I don't think it necessarily means he's going to be primarily a defender this year. If we are at full strength, I think Mayne still plays forward.

Both Franklin and Cloke are/were very poor in front of goal and they cost an average of $925000 a year.

Hopefully Tabs gets it locked down earlier than those two.
The difference is those guys can kick 60M bombs. Tabs barely makes the distance from 40. Its not just accuracy, he can barely kick over a jam tin.

The difference is those guys can kick 60M bombs. Tabs barely makes the distance from 40. Its not just accuracy, he can barely kick over a jam tin.
I have made the same observation, however, I wonder if that is also because he is exhausted from all the running he often does leading up to the shot on goal. I think saint nick suffers in a similar fashion.

I have made the same observation, however, I wonder if that is also because he is exhausted from all the running he often does leading up to the shot on goal. I think saint nick suffers in a similar fashion.

Tabs isn't too dissimilar to Riewoldt actually. Supeme athlete and not the greatest kick in front of goal but boy, he covers a lot of ground with his repeated lead ups where he usually gets first hands on the footy and either clunks them or brings the ball to the ground.

Nick obviously far superior but I'm sure Tabs is modelling his game on him, evident in last years game v Brisbane.

I think he's been pushed out of his position by the likes of Crozier and Neale. We need goal kickers and last year he barely kicked any. Croz has developed his defensive game such that we don't lose the pressure applied by Mayne in the forward half of the field. Mayne has to go back or he has no position.

I don't think he has lost his position. He barley had a pre-season and was playing injured last year. He is in great condition and could go back to kicking goals like 2013. That would be perfect scoreboard pressure. Crozier could just be added to the forward/mid rotations. If anything I would move deBoer out of the forward line for Crozier because he doesn't kick enough goals. He could play more mid this season.

I don't think he has lost his position. He barley had a pre-season and was playing injured last year. He is in great condition and could go back to kicking goals like 2013. That would be perfect scoreboard pressure. Crozier could just be added to the forward/mid rotations. If anything I would move deBoer out of the forward line for Crozier because he doesn't kick enough goals. He could play more mid this season.
Someone has to spend less time forward for Croz to come in. I can't see anyone else in Mayne's size other than maybe de boer who is vulnerable, and he was on the fringe last year. It sounds like Mayne will be rotating through attack and defense anyway, so wouldn't purely be a defender. He may be groomed to eventually take on the Mzungu role, who turns 29 in two days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My new theory on Mayne back is that he will swap with Johnson to expose small defenses for sections of the game.

Swapping with Johnson in what regard? Where is johnson going? I don't think you ever want our back six to be without him, regardless of opposition size. Unless injured Johnson is a permanent lock in the backline. I see MJ as a waste up forward if thats what you are suggesting?

Swapping with Johnson in what regard? Where is johnson going? I don't think you ever want our back six to be without him, regardless of opposition size. Unless injured Johnson is a permanent lock in the backline. I see MJ as a waste up forward if thats what you are suggesting?
That is exactly what I am suggesting.

Drifting forward to create a mismatch, force a coaching change and then roll onto the next phase.

Even on the half forward line he will create chances for 15 minutes a game.

Mayne could become our Adam Hunter minus the drug addiction and stupid faux mohawk of course.

Very reliable at the forward and back position.

Unless Mayne improves his kicking I don't see a role for him in the forward line that other people could not play better.

That leaves him playing 3rd tall in defence with Johnson loose man or 4th tall, so he is competing against player like Ibbotson.

I think the best thing for him is to working on his kicking and be picked as the defensive forward who also can kick a goal. Obviously the clubs believe differently.

Tabs just has terrible mechanics with his kicking. Not unlike DeBoer. This is the reason the 2 of them weren't taken till the rookie draft.
DeBoer has done very well to improve his, lets hope Tabs can do the same.

Drifting forward to create a mismatch, force a coaching change and then roll onto the next phase.

I see where you are coming from but i don't think it justifies carrying Mayne into the game for that role. Unless he hits the scoreboard he is surpassed by Crozier. Down back i only see him displacing Ibbo (which he wont) or Spurr (probably too big for elite smalls).

The only way I can see Mayne staying in the forwardline to provide that option to flick back for johnson is if D. Pearce is replaced by Croz. It solves the two biggest problems faced by most freo posters atm, getting croz into the team, and geting pearce out.

I see where you are coming from but i don't think it justifies carrying Mayne into the game for that role. Unless he hits the scoreboard he is surpassed by Crozier. Down back i only see him displacing Ibbo (which he wont) or Spurr (probably too big for elite smalls).

The only way I can see Mayne staying in the forwardline to provide that option to flick back for johnson is if D. Pearce is replaced by Croz. It solves the two biggest problems faced by most freo posters atm, getting croz into the team, and geting pearce out.
I am in the last paragraph group.
I see Crozier as a midfielder that drifts forward, not a forward option so I want to play him around the wing, perhaps as the offensive compliment to Mzungu's defensive sweeper role.

If we line up how I expect then Mayne is competing with Pavlich for that undersized leading/marking/set shot forward position (3rd tall).

Tabs just has terrible mechanics with his kicking. Not unlike DeBoer. This is the reason the 2 of them weren't taken till the rookie draft.
DeBoer has done very well to improve his, lets hope Tabs can do the same.

Totally agree regarding the mechanics of Tabs kicking style. There were two shots he had on goal in the recent scratch match that were very gettable but he stuffed them both up. No momentum in his run up at all.

I like his football a lot and am not going to bag him as he is still on his P plates footy wise. Please work on that kicking Tabs - Freo need you kicking goals to be a threat in the finals.

Yep, been done a few times before with great success. Johnno almost won us the game in half a quarter when we were not performing against Syd's knee in '13. think you hit the nail on the head. If Ross isn't thinking about what you suggested, he should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back