NFL 2015 - Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When's this months owners meeting?
I want to know the venue of superbowl 53 (plan on going to it)

It's 3 and a half years away! What's the point of posti........oh doesn't matter

It's 3 and a half years away! What's the point of posti........oh doesn't matter
I don't want to wait another 5/6 years to get to a super bowl.

If I'm doing one as a neutral, I'm doing it on my birthday.
This is the next, and I believe 53 is going to Atlanta. Just want confirmation :)

The league has concluded the Dolphins didn't violate tampering rules in their pursuit of Ndamukong Suh.

The Dolphins' agreement with Suh appears to have been hammered out a full three days before the start of free agency, but the league doesn't want another scandal on its hands. The NFL has made things hard on itself with its vague and begging-to-be-broken "legal" tampering rules. A clarification should be in order for 2016.

According to multiple reports, suspended Jaguars WR Justin Blackmon did apply for reinstatement to the NFL this offseason, but was denied by the league.

The Associated Press' Mark Long reported Blackmon's reinstatement attempt was denied, and the report has been "confirmed" by Mike Dempsey of 1010 XL in Jacksonville. The "feeling" is reportedly that Blackmon failed another drug test, though Dempsey suggests Blackmon also may have missed a test, which counts as a failed test in the NFL's eyes. Either way, we're not optimistic that Blackmon will be returning to the field anytime soon.

I don't want to wait another 5/6 years to get to a super bowl.

If I'm doing one as a neutral, I'm doing it on my birthday.
This is the next, and I believe 53 is going to Atlanta. Just want attention :)
FIFY :p

If I wanted attention I'd be making some comment about Matt Miller (and maybe Grant Hedrick too?!?!?!?) being cut by Denver.

God, you're such a tool.

If I wanted attention I'd be making some comment about Matt Miller (and maybe Grant Hedrick too?!?!?!?) being cut by Denver.

God, you're such a tool.
I was lampooning you... A good old fashioned lampoon.

NFL to discuss “protocols” for footballs at next week’s league meetings
Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 13, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwvkm2uzzwfln2q4mtkxnwi0zdfjm2e2nty2yje0ogq1.jpeg
AP
The subject of game balls will be on the docket at next week’s NFL meeting in San Francisco, the league said Wednesday.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told PFT the league’s “protocols on (gameday)” regarding footballs will be discussed.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones, a member of the NFL’s Competition Committee, has also indicated the game balls will be discussed at the league meetings, according to ESPN’s Ed Werder.

Game balls were not among the topics considered by NFL owners at the annual meeting in March. However, the league now appears ready to take a closer look at the issue in light of the Wells Report.

The NFL’s game ball management is covered in the official rule book. As of last year, it was a two-section, 384-word series of guidelines that fit on one PDF page.

The question now is whether the league is ready to make any alterations to the rules or procedures governing the game balls after the investigation into New England’s alleged football deflation in the AFC title game.

Owners to consider three new extra point proposals at meeting
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 13, 2015, 12:57 PM EDT
cd05oddlnmnhy2mwmjrlzwqzntjhm2viytq1y2vly2yzocznpwewodawowfjodmzn2qyyzrhyjg5ogizndq1yjg0ywq5.jpeg
AP
Extra points are something that everyone seems to want to change, even if they weren’t sure how.

Now, there are at least some concrete proposals.

According to the Associated Press, NFL owners have three proposals on the table specific to extra points when they meet next week in San Francisco.

The proposal forwarded by the Patriots offers the chance to snap from the 15-yard line for a one-point kick or snapping from the 2-yard line for teams trying a two-point conversion.

The Eagles proposal is similar, with two-point conversion attempts coming from the 1-yard line, and offering the defense the chance to score on turnovers on two-point tries. That puts it in line with the college rules Chip Kelly knows so well.

The competition committee (sans suspended co-chair Rich McKay) proposal mirrors the Eagles plan, except with two-point conversion attempts coming from the 2-yard line.

Teams are currently kicking from the 2-yard line, and they’re so easy as to be boring, leading most owners to want to juice the system. It takes 24 of 32 votes to pass any of the proposals, and it seems inevitable that one will be adopted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to G/T La'El Collins' agent, the Rams were prepared to select Collins with one of their two seventh-round picks before ultimately passing on him.

"We were praying he didn’t get picked," agent Mike McCartney said. "There was a team that had drafted four offensive linemen," fellow agent Gene Smith added, "and they said, ‘We’re taking him.’ And I texted back, ‘You’re going to embarrass yourself. You’re going to waste this pick.’" The Rams foolishly passed and instead used their seventh-rounders on DE Martin Ifedi and LB Bryce Hager, two players who face long odds of making the 53-man roster or contributing in the NFL.

So....Collins' agent did all he could to stop a team from drafting him. Poor form, by both Collins and his agent. He'll bust now imo.
Just showing that Collins has the poor character to fit right in at the Cowboys

Dean Blandino says process of handling balls “will change”
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 15, 2015, 1:42 PM EDT
blandino.jpg
Getty Images
NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino’s talking to some players at the moment.

And one of them was good enough to share the conversation, and the #asexpected news that things are changing, as it pertains to the handling of the balls.

Colts linebacker Henoc Muamba said on Twitter that Blandino told them: “The process of handling footballs before games will change from here on in in the NFL.”

That seems apparent, given the week we’re in. And it also could be an easy fix, such that the whole #DeflateGate thing couldn’t have been headed off by a few simple steps.

While teams get to offer their own equipment, the addition of (for lack of a better title) a ball steward to inspect and secure them would allow the game officials more control over the process, and perhaps eliminate 100-second trips to the bathroom.

The league has said they’re going to discuss “protocols” for handling footballs during next week’s owners meetings, but Blandino’s suggestion seems to make clear that changes are coming, and soon.

Via Muamba, Blandino also suggested that the possibility of “chips” in the football was being considered and discussed. Whether the chip had anything to do with measuring PSI, or just a simple goal-line technology as is used in soccer remains to be seen.

While keeping a closer eye on the footballs is anticipated, seeing the league take a proactive step would be a nice change as well.

Getting signed by the Deadskins can do that to you....

------

Undrafted rookie QB Connor Halliday is no longer with the Redskins.

Halliday won't attend this weekend's rookie minicamp, and it's believed he may be done with football. A source told ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim that Halliday "had lost his love for football." Halliday put up record-breaking statistics at Washington State, where he played in Mike Leach's shotgun spread.

Getting signed by the Deadskins can do that to you....

------

Undrafted rookie QB Connor Halliday is no longer with the Redskins.

Halliday won't attend this weekend's rookie minicamp, and it's believed he may be done with football. A source told ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim that Halliday "had lost his love for football." Halliday put up record-breaking statistics at Washington State, where he played in Mike Leach's shotgun spread.

His mum wrote an article for SI.com about their journey to the draft etc., good piece about his love of the game.

Like GG knew two years ago, the Seahawks know he isn't worth that much coin. Know it was all Lynch and the D that got them to two Super Bowls, and that Wilson would sink if the offense, indeed, the whole team, had to rely on him, ride on his shoulders.

---------

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports it's "highly unlikely" the Seahawks will extend contract-year QB Russell Wilson's deal this year.

Wilson is said to be seeking in excess of $20 million annually on a five-year extension. Per Cole, the Seahawks "have no desire to get anywhere close to that" and are willing to let him play out the final year of his rookie contract and then use the franchise tag back-to-back years through 2017. That would net Wilson around $45-48 million over the next three years. Recent reports have suggested the two sides are "10s of millions" apart in contract talks. Cole's report seconds that.

A league source told Yahoo Sports that Browns coach Mike Pettine "was ready to move on" from Johnny Manziel when Manziel checked himself into rehab following an abysmal rookie season.

A separate league source told Yahoo's Charles Robinson that owner Jimmy Haslam, GM Ray Farmer, and new OC John DeFilippo "still believe Manziel can be salvaged." Despite his head coach's skepticism, there is still enough support inside the Browns' building that Manziel will get a long look in his second NFL training camp. His lone real obstacle to be Cleveland's starter is Josh McCown, who turns 36 in July and and committed 18 turnovers in 11 starts last year.

Like GG knew two years ago, the Seahawks know he isn't worth that much coin. Know it was all Lynch and the D that got them to two Super Bowls, and that Wilson would sink if the offense, indeed, the whole team, had to rely on him, ride on his shoulders.

---------

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports it's "highly unlikely" the Seahawks will extend contract-year QB Russell Wilson's deal this year.

Wilson is said to be seeking in excess of $20 million annually on a five-year extension. Per Cole, the Seahawks "have no desire to get anywhere close to that" and are willing to let him play out the final year of his rookie contract and then use the franchise tag back-to-back years through 2017. That would net Wilson around $45-48 million over the next three years. Recent reports have suggested the two sides are "10s of millions" apart in contract talks. Cole's report seconds that.
Yeah, nah...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back