Position 2015 SuperCoach defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in the end a lot of how our backline will shape up depends a lot on the whole essendon thing. If it doesn't go their way then suddenly Dalgleish and Edwards become very tempting, not to mention Mitch Brown who killed pre-season and would be priced at about 190k. We'd suddenly have 6+ rookie priced guys to choose from come round 1.

I think in the end a lot of how our backline will shape up depends a lot on the whole essendon thing. If it doesn't go their way then suddenly Dalgleish and Edwards become very tempting, not to mention Mitch Brown who killed pre-season and would be priced at about 190k. We'd suddenly have 6+ rookie priced guys to choose from come round 1.
& those guys will have no JS whatsoever.

It's a hard one :(

2 to 3 max IMO.

hope it does go there way so it's back to backline chaos
not to mention slotting Hibberd in :cool:

The backline is the biggest if this year... I need to write this for myself to try and find some clarity...
All the hawks players don't really tempt because
hodge - possibility of being rested and his role being farmed out to improve the younger players
burgoyne - who is the A-plan player will often score lower because Hawthorn will not always need their A-plan
Gibbo - will score well when both Chip and lake are playing, but maybe not if Birchall is playing? His two great scores in NAB are against teams he always scores well with as they have weaker forward lines where he does not need to have a role.
Other premiums
Malcheski - paying overs at the moment but maybe he is worth it for a consistent scores
Simpson - getting on and with an influx of midfielders at Carlton probably won't see much time there
Smith - just not filling me with confidence?? anybody have any reassuring words?
Shaw - looks likely but I'm still feeling is a risk with the collingwood badboy hangover.
Jaensch - I read somewhere he is fighting for his spot?
So now we are under 480 and have a raft of choices which could go either way.
I think Murphy is looking good and with Beveridges hawthorn game style and the bulldogs loss of quite a few players will see him get more of the ball this year.
The two H bombs are looking tempting but I know they will both blow up!
Yarran - meh
Adcock - don't trust his DE
Fisher - maybe
so now we are in the lower, awkward price
So where to look??
Bewick would look good but with the influx players at Brissie may see less time in the heat of the game??
Suggestions anyone?

The backline is the biggest if this year... I need to write this for myself to try and find some clarity...
hodge - possibility of being rested and his role being farmed out to improve the younger players
burgoyne - who is the A-plan player will often score lower because Hawthorn will not always need their A-plan
Gibbo - will score well when both Chip and lake are playing, but maybe not if Birchall is playing? His two great scores in NAB are against teams he always scores well with as they have weaker forward lines where he does not need to have a role.
Other premiums
Malcheski - paying overs at the moment but maybe he is worth it for a consistent scores
Simpson - getting on and with an influx of midfielders at Carlton probably won't see much time there
Smith - just not filling me with confidence?? anybody have any reassuring words?
Shaw - looks likely but I'm still feeling is a risk with the collingwood badboy hangover.
I think Murphy is looking good and with Beveridges hawthorn game style and the bulldogs loss of quite a few players will see him get more of the ball this year.
Yarran - meh
Fisher - maybe
So where to look??
Bewick would look good but with the influx players at Brissie may see less time in the heat of the game??
Suggestions anyone?

Usually uses the ball quite well, not sure where your concerns with regards to his DE comes from (except for the last NAB cup game)?

He will score but will he score enough? I doubt it.

Just under mid price I think shows some value, he has had a good pre season and being young will naturally progress. I stay away from Mid price guys but I think Macmillan will improve and we could get low 80s high 70s from him, enough cash increase to use to upgrade or keep as a solid little investment. Backline is really tough this year.

Other premiums
Yarran - meh
Fisher - maybe
So where to look??
Suggestions anyone?

Burger is the biggest lock, he is very consistent. I'm not sure how many games he scored less than 80 last year but he always seemed to be around 90-105 mark, very durable as well, never injured. I'd stay away from the others on our list, I may have taken Whitey had he played pre season matches but his a good wait and see.

Other premiums
Yarran - meh
Fisher - maybe
So where to look??
Suggestions anyone?

You have summed up everyone's feelings pretty well. Whoever gets the backs and rucks right early in the piece will come close to winning SC this year imo.

Other premiums
Yarran - meh
Fisher - maybe
So where to look??
Suggestions anyone?
probably worth considering michael johnson

EDIT: and james kelly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usually uses the ball quite well, not sure where your concerns with regards to his DE comes from (except for the last NAB cup game)?

He has a tendency to bomb the ball rather indiscriminately, especially when going into the forward 50. I think these are the sort of kicks CD often counts as effective though, even if it does put your forwards under the pump and often result in a rebound. I've got Adcock though, think he's good value with his current role and price.

Hoping for at least 85 - 90 which I think is within his capabilities in the midfield. 90+ would be great.
Yeah 85-90 seems about right 80 av last year.
what do you think Adcock with av? really unsure on hes role he can play a few differnt roles.

He has a tendency to bomb the ball rather indiscriminately, especially when going into the forward 50. I think these are the sort of kicks CD often counts as effective though, even if it does put your forwards under the pump and often result in a rebound. I've got Adcock though, think he's good value with his current role and price.
I think either a 45+ or 50+ metre kick to a contest is considered effective and also could gain a point or so in metrage (CD loves counting metres gained even though we don't play american football and yardage doesn't actually have anything to do with the rules).

I've seen enough from him in the pre-season to believe that he will be a decent pick, has been playing on a wing, has gotten a fair amount of the ball, been at the stoppages for short periods, been tackling alot, can't see how it's not a decent value pick for this season.

I think either a 45+ or 50+ metre kick to a contest is considered effective and also could gain a point or so in metrage (CD loves counting metres gained even though we don't play american football and yardage doesn't actually have anything to do with the rules).

I've seen enough from him in the pre-season to believe that he will be a decent pick, has been playing on a wing, has gotten a fair amount of the ball, been at the stoppages for short periods, been tackling alot, can't see how it's not a decent value pick for this season.

Ave'd 91.2 in '13 finishing in top 10 defenders IIRC for total points.

This was also a year where quality of defenders overall was a lot better than this year's options.

Putting down last year as an 'off' year and with NAB form encouraging, hoping he can return to 90-ish ave this year.

Behind Houli (86) with most game splayed over last 4 years as well - 85, is positive too.

418k :thumbsu:

Yeah 85-90 seems about right 80 av last year.
what do you think Adcock with av? really unsure on hes role he can play a few differnt roles.

I think he should be able to finish up with an average around the low 90s.

Thanks for the responses peoples!
A the moment thinking eski, shaw, murphy, newnes, goodes, saad (oxley, mcintosh)
Adcock is still in the mix because you would think he will get more outside ball with the additions of the Brisbane mids, but will he be in competition with bewick for the backline outside run?

Thanks for the responses peoples!
A the moment thinking eski, shaw, murphy, newnes, goodes, saad (oxley, mcintosh)
Adcock is still in the mix because you would think he will get more outside ball with the additions of the Brisbane mids, but will he be in competition with bewick for the backline outside run?
Read an interview with him a couple days ago (not sure where) where he stated adding Rich, Bewick, Beams etc. to their backline will free him up and some others to play more in the midfield.

I'm wondering if it's worth the risk of Macmillan and just spend the extra 70 on Ibbo, or do you take a punt on Macmillan at D4-5 and maybe upgrade to say a Cockatoo from Lambert. Tricky one.
Personally and this is just me, the only sub $400k mid-pricer I am at all interested in is B.Goodes (with KK being a remote second). Macmillan seems to be a defensive minded player and I don't think he will score consistently enough however I haven't seen him that many times to know exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back