List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we could be more objective as a board , why we continually view ourselves as THE club to come to to achive success bewilders me , without going to deeply in to it I can garentee you next year WILL BE a transition year .
Oh HBD why did you start this, some on this board have us winning the next five premierships, no doubt about it.:drunk:

So, this is the way it looks to me atm.

Dangerfield - Gone to Cats!!!
Bennell - can't see us anywhere near him as he will cost heaps and is happy at GC?
Jaeger Bomb - Pipe dream. No way!

Looks more and more likely we may end up with Howe and Karnezis. Lol.

I wish we could be more objective as a board , why we continually view ourselves as THE club to come to to achive success bewilders me , without going to deeply in to it I can garentee you next year WILL BE a transition year .

The league is transitioning from a restricted trade to free trade business, no more do clubs have cycles where they bottom out and need to use the draft to re-build. Whilst ALOT of clubs are less diligent than ours, the fact we have FA and can trade up future picks could very well mean we see periods of long sustained sucess.

Think the Lakers and the Heat in the NBA, both organisations have had decades of success simply on the back of smart trade and free agency periods. No reason why Hawthorn can't do the same with smart operating.

Where is the the Karenzis talk stemming from? I trust our recruitment folk if we do bring him on board - but if you're a forward and can barely get a game in a team that has an injured and struggling forward line - then you have to wonder. If we got him I could only see him filling in for Sicily at Box Hill when he hopefully gets more senior games next year.

Think the Lakers and the Heat in the NBA, both organisations have had decades of success simply on the back of smart trade and free agency periods. No reason why Hawthorn can't do the same with smart operating.

Wouldn't really say the Heat have had 'decades' of success - but take your point absolutely!

Stop dashing our dreams of reliving the 80s, HD

It's not like Hawthorn openly wants to be known as the "Destination Club" or anything................oh wait!

The league is transitioning from a restricted trade to free trade business, no more do clubs have cycles where they bottom out and need to use the draft to re-build. Whilst ALOT of clubs are less diligent than ours, the fact we have FA and can trade up future picks could very well mean we see periods of long sustained sucess.

But different to NBA. If you land an NBA player to the equivalent of a Dangerfield (top 5 player in the league) it's effectively like landing 5-7 players in the AFL (as only 5 on the court).

If you land that one player in the AFL and are a bottom half team I'm afraid you are still probably going to be a bottom half team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know about Karnezis.....but I guess a lot of supporters weren't thrilled when we recruited Spangher...who was a relative no-one, and look how that has turned out

Spangh was also "free" in that he was delisted.

$750k for 4 years vs $900k for 4 years. What does the extra money actually provide?

Lake took a huge pay cut because he wanted flags. Does anyone think he regrets that decision for even a microsecond?

If Danger just wants the $$$ then we would be better off wifthout him. There will always be players who want success, even if it costs them some coin.

Provides another $90k or thereabouts after tax each year for a bloke who will never earn that kind of money again after he's 34. Premierships are great - but they aren't guaranteed no matter where he goes. You can't begrudge players chasing money. If someone offered you 20% more money for a job that may not be quite as fulfilling - I dare say you would at least be tempted by it. Geelong isn't exactly the Brisbane Lions either - I don't think they'll be a top 4 side with Selwood and Danger, but they'll at least be a top 8 side again.

We've played in 3 of the last 3 Grand Finals and won 2 of the last 2 of them. Potentially about to +1 to all those numbers in one months time.

The club's latest mission statement is to have sustained top 4 finishes and to be viewed as a destination club.

We have recruited at least one experienced player into the club nearly every year for the last 5-6 years and I can't think of one that hasn't enjoyed success in one form or another. This extends passed playing staff and into the coaching staff also.

We're not the only club where players can come to achieve success but it shouldn't bewilder you why many of us consider us currently THE club to do so.

Provides another $90k or thereabouts after tax each year for a bloke who will never earn that kind of money again after he's 34. Premierships are great - but they aren't guaranteed no matter where he goes. You can't begrudge players chasing money. If someone offered you 20% more money for a job that may not be quite as fulfilling - I dare say you would at least be tempted by it. Geelong isn't exactly the Brisbane Lions either - I don't think they'll be a top 4 side with Selwood and Danger, but they'll at least be a top 8 side again.

You really think the money dries up for someone like Dangers? As I said, he can chase money. But we dont need that. We need players who are chasing Premierships.

Does Geelong play in Grand Finals in the next 4 years?

You really think the money dries up for someone like Dangers? As I said, he can chase money. But we dont need that. We need players who are chasing Premierships.

Does Geelong play in Grand Finals in the next 4 years?

The $900,000 a year kind of money? Absolutely that can dry up. Sure, players hopefully have business interests out of footy. And maybe he gets media work afterwards. But earning $750,000-$900,000 once he retires - it's not a given. Much as it's easy to pretend that footy players aren't mere mortals like us - an extra $90k a year after tax is more than appealing. I like my current employer - but if someone offered me another 20% salary for a slightly shittier place to work then I'd take it.

And I don't think that Geelong will be a contender in that time period - but who knows, they might be. And who's to guarantee we'll be a contender from 2016 onwards? History would tell you that after 5 straight top 4 appearances we are due to go down a bit. I hope and trust that we won't - but there is zero guarantee coming to Hawthorn will bring him a premiership.

Why on earth would Danger go from the crows to the cats. I believe, Adelaide have a better chance of a flag at the present time than Geelong. Makes no sense to me.

He grew up in the region, supported the club as a kid, might get more money etc. It's far from a mind-boggling situation. Much as I can't understand living in Geelong - some people apprently like it.

He grew up in the region, supported the club as a kid, might get more money etc. It's far from a mind-boggling situation. Much as I can't understand living in Geelong - some people apprently like it.

There would be a few players who would like to play for the club they supported as a kid. To get that opportunity, and a large salary would make your footy much more enjoyable. Geelong may also get back up to the top before he retires, so a flag is also possible.

Why would he go to Geelong when they are going to be rebuilding over the next few seasons.

If he wants a premiership, he just needs to climb the brown and gold ladder to success.

Are they really rebuilding though?

They lose Johnson, Rivers, Kelly & Stokes this year, possibly Enright as well. In place of them they get Danger, Henderson and possibly S Selwood plus get a fit Mitch Duncan, Dan Menzel, Rhys Stanley & Mitch Clark next year

I actually think they are still going to be a threat for the next couple of years

In terms of future planning, drafting etc does anyone think we're doing much different to the Geelong and Brisbane models?

Surely we've looked at these models and learnt what went right and wrong for these teams.

The Geelong and Hawthorn situation is not too far different, both have won 3 flags, large groups went through together, both teams lost their best player etc.

We've got the added bonus of free agency to help our cause. I reckon we can stay more than competitive in the next few seasons maybe in the manner Sydney has been able to for an extended period of time if we draft well and continue to add talent to an already solid list.

Why on earth would Danger go from the crows to the cats. I believe, Adelaide have a better chance of a flag at the present time than Geelong. Makes no sense to me.
You are right. But Dangerfield and his partner are from the region and it is not unreasonable for a person to want to live and work near their family if they have the chance to do so. So long as Dangerfield doesn't trot out the 'finals footy' line i'm ok with it. He's leaving a finals side on the rise for a non-finals side in decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back