List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The $900,000 a year kind of money? Absolutely that can dry up. Sure, players hopefully have business interests out of footy. And maybe he gets media work afterwards. But earning $750,000-$900,000 once he retires - it's not a given. Much as it's easy to pretend that footy players aren't mere mortals like us - an extra $90k a year after tax is more than appealing. I like my current employer - but if someone offered me another 20% salary for a slightly shittier place to work then I'd take it.

And I don't think that Geelong will be a contender in that time period - but who knows, they might be. And who's to guarantee we'll be a contender from 2016 onwards? History would tell you that after 5 straight top 4 appearances we are due to go down a bit. I hope and trust that we won't - but there is zero guarantee coming to Hawthorn will bring him a premiership.

We offered Buddy > $1m per year ...for 5 years
So we have been prepared to offer big contracts.
Its just Sydney's 10 years was ridiculous.

We've played in 3 of the last 3 Grand Finals and won 2 of the last 2 of them. Potentially about to +1 to all those numbers in one months time.

The club's latest mission statement is to have sustained top 4 finishes and to be viewed as a destination club.

We have recruited at least one experienced player into the club nearly every year for the last 5-6 years and I can't think of one that hasn't enjoyed success in one form or another. This extends passed playing staff and into the coaching staff also.

We're not the only club where players can come to achieve success but it shouldn't bewilder you why many of us consider us currently THE club to do so.
Geelong achieved near enough to all of the above and are a great club , yet this year find them selves not playing finals . Why believe we are any different to them .

Geelong achieved near enough to all of the above and are a great club , yet this year find them selves not playing finals . Why believe we are any different to them .
We will quite likely experience a decline akin to that of the cats now.

You just don't replace champions like Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell......just as you don't replace Ling, Harley, Scarlett.

The key is how far do we slide and how quickly do we re-generate. I can't see us sliding out of the 8, and hope we can develop Howe, Anderson, JOR, Hartung enough so we are in the mix soon enough

We offered Buddy > $1m per year ...for 5 years
So we have been prepared to offer big contracts.
Its just Sydney's 10 years was ridiculous.

I shudder to think who we would have lost and what a mess we would be in if he'd accepted that deal. Judas wasn't as motivated by money though - he wanted to go live with his holier than thou strumpet and strut around Bondi like the giant toss that he is.

There would be a few players who would like to play for the club they supported as a kid. To get that opportunity, and a large salary would make your footy much more enjoyable. Geelong may also get back up to the top before he retires, so a flag is also possible.

Josh Gibson. :thumbsu:

I shudder to think who we would have lost and what a mess we would be in if he'd accepted that deal. Judas wasn't as motivated by money though - he wanted to go live with his holier than thou strumpet and strut around Bondi like the giant toss that he is.

Probably would have lost no one just would not have got Mcevoy or Frawley.

Free agency + trading of future draft pics allows for more diversity in structuring your list. Geelong still hold some credence in the open market because of their success, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up quickly if they nail a majority of their prospects.

Probably would have lost no one just would not have got Mcevoy or Frawley.

After pulling Franklin's deal in 2013 the club went on a re-singing spree. Wouldn't be surprised if the money held aside was used to retain quite a few players. Remember that Sewell, Guerra and Savage's contracts all went away as well before getting those two players - so it's not as if those two were only obtained off the Judas savings.

After pulling Franklin's deal in 2013 the club went on a re-singing spree. Wouldn't be surprised if the money held aside was used to retain quite a few players. Remember that Sewell, Guerra and Savage's contracts all went away as well before getting those two players - so it's not as if those two were only obtained off the Judas savings.

Yeah but Budwah was getting offered around the million mark and Big Boy is reportedly on 450 k and Chippa 550 k so in that regard you could say Its Big Boy and Chippa for Franklin when it comes to Salary Cap usage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that confirmed? I've heard conflicting reports of Gibbo being a Hawks fan growing up.

Yes he was:

In 2013 Gibson won the Hawthorn Best and Fairest award, the Peter Crimmins medal. Gibson said it was an honour just to play for the club he supported as a kid, let alone to achieve what he had in this season.

We will quite likely experience a decline akin to that of the cats now.

You just don't replace champions like Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell......just as you don't replace Ling, Harley, Scarlett.

The key is how far do we slide and how quickly do we re-generate. I can't see us sliding out of the 8, and hope we can develop Howe, Anderson, JOR, Hartung enough so we are in the mix soon enough

We will slide eventually.. How far is completely at the hands of our football department. Hopefully bottoming out means bottom of the 9

I reckon the Hawks front loaded a few. Think Rough in particular, probably Lewis and a few others. I suspect that the Hawks could manufacture a pretty large kitty if they needed to.

Yeah but Budwah was getting offered around the million mark and Big Boy is reportedly on 450 k and Chippa 550 k so in that regard you could say Its Big Boy and Chippa for Franklin when it comes to Salary Cap usage.

You could say that - but that's not how it happened chronologically. Guerra and Sav's salary would have more than accounted for Big Boy, and Sewell would have freed up some money for Frawley. I'm sure the Judas money would definitely have helped - but if the prick had stayed I dare say we'd have lost a couple of players.

was traded for pick 64, got him and 70 in return

but the point is, no one rated him and its turned out well. Club knows what they are doing

I distinctly remember a few of those "we're going to delist these players" and then "Oh no, we've swapped a few nothing picks instead" that year.

I reckon the Hawks front loaded a few. Think Rough in particular, probably Lewis and a few others. I suspect that the Hawks could manufacture a pretty large kitty if they needed to.
They have the capacity to land a big trade

You're sort of missing the point. It's either Buddy's salary paid for BB/Chips and we have Goo/Sewell/Sav salary left to spend, or vice-versa. You could equally say that even if we only lose Hale/Suckling in this trade/FA period, we effectively have:

"Goo + Sewell + Sav + Hale + Suckling" worth of a salary to spend if we've front-loaded contracts cleverly.

Maybe that's the true reasoning behind elevating Willsmore+Webcam? They're likely on a new-recruit salary so we can get away with bringing in a few more rookies to keep the total salaries low.

I believe we're different because unlike Geelong we've got a history and a knowledge of trading in on a needs basis where as during their dominance they preferred to hit the draft. They've only recently gone hard at free agency and trading and they do so with all the grace and expertise of North Melbourne - trading away out of form or under-utilised players for whatever is available.

I don't think we'll be up forever and surely there will be an inevitable dip when Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne and Gibson leave but I trust the list management at Hawthorn won't see these 4 up and leave all at once. That during that transition we'll be able to bring in very good players for less than what they could get elsewhere, because even though they won't get a long time to play alongside those kind of players they do know they will be in an environment that is expertly managed and knows how to get flags.

Geelong could lay claim to that last bit too but they've left their chance to rejuvenate their list through trade and free agency a little late. It'd be like if we kept guys like Osborne, Guerra and Sewell on the list for another couple years longer than we did. Yeah they were likely still able to deliver something but it would've cost us the opportunity to get players like Hill, Duryea and Langford/Shiels to the point they are now.

I wish we could be more objective as a board , why we continually view ourselves as THE club to come to to achive success bewilders me , without going to deeply in to it I can garentee you next year WILL BE a transition year .

Odd call.
Nothing in football is guaranteed, not up, down, or remaining smack dab right where you are.
For next year to be transitional, Hodge Mitch & Lewis would need to retire after the current season and open up their own Legal firm, Rough would decide to become a tuna fisherman and swap in 'seas' to his surname , Cyril walks to Arnhem Land to take up painting and professional magic shows, whilst Gunners secretly enters competitive eating competitions to seek the fame and fortune he has always lusted for.

All that, and then still you must really not rate the under 26 crowd at Waverly. :eek:
I think with a shrewd move or two we're no worse than 4th in terms of list talent, coupled with all our great club can bring that NO OTHER can dream of.
Not the Wobbles.
Nor the Coasters.
And certainly not upstart clubs with plenty of gifted youth but no history pushing them along when tough moments arise.

And then, there's CLARKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I call 3rd on the ladder in 2016, 15 -16 wins, and at least 3 players currently not playing regular 22 football to announce themselves as the future of our great club.:cool:
I guess that's transitioning from one successful season to another...........

Assuming you are right it still leaves the first year gap of 550k as Chippa was claimed year two of a buddy departure.

If Big Boy was on (3yr 450k p/a)...theoretically we could have used the full million we were gonna use on Buddy 2014 on Big Boy for 2014.

This would leave two years of Big Boys deal left with a Total of 350k to Pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back