List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suckling won't leave unless he clearly loses his spot to a younger player like Litherland or O'Rourke. And even then he'll probably stay if he's offered a decent contract before seasons end.

Why hasn't he been re-signed if he is a required player?

It's not like we're looking to delist or trade (AFAICT) him at the end of the year.

Malceski was AA in 2014. For a three year deal, he is worth more than Suckling, even though he is older. Can people actually see teams offering Suckling 600-650k+? Like be realistic, Suckling is good, but that is elite level money. There is almost no chance we get a first round pick for Suckling, and quite frankly, i have no issue with that.
I could see him being damaging at Snort with their run & pace, but they're not going to chase him (nor would we let him go) & he'd be handy at shitme as well - they'd probably offer him $800k to our $500k just to rack up a win over Hawthorn after the GF.

I don't know he'd be too valuable at other clubs right now - maybe norf

What are you talking about, the only way we weren't getting pick 19 for Franklin is if the AFL decided to use their brains. That's obviously very unlikely to happen, meaning pick 19 was almost always what we were getting.

But you're right, i was perhaps a bit too strong with that. But to get a first rounder for him, he would need to get an offer of more than 500k for three years (Given Malceski only got Sydney a second rounder), probably closer to 600-650k+. What are the chances someone will offer him that? Possible, but unlikely for a player like Suckling.

What am I talking about?....Clearly the notion of Principle is one which you need to familiarize yourself with!

The incertitude with regards compensation for Free agents is the point!....I'd of thought that to be plainly clear!....Wheather it be under s or overs...Though the one point that held firm under the dictatorship of Vlad; was that Hawthorn were delivered unders on every occasion!

Your self-righteous certitude with regards what we will get or be offered for Suckling strikes me as rather naive...He is an elite kick of the football & such elite skills render high returns in outcomes....On that point alone, he could command a high salary....Your dismissal of that notion as near impossible is more the debatable point.

Your notion of Pick 19 being all we were ever going to get for Buddy smacks of cynicism & bowing to the inevitable corrupt ways of Vlad...Only he could have performed that swindle in order to favor his Sydney side & weaken ours at the same time....Everyone in the AFL knew full well that Pick 1 was the only just & worthy compensation for the number 1 Forward....Your hindsight seer-ship gives your point not a jot more extra weight!

I don't hate Suckling at all, he's a good player in fact. I was just saying that out of all the Premiership players on our list he's the one who may be squeezed out of the side. That doesn't mean that I don't rate him or that he will leave our club.

Not sure about that. Suckling is cream, an serious offensive weapon. He is harder to replace than someone like Hale, Duryea or Puopolo. I'd like to hope that by this September, Anderson will be putting pressure on Poppy, O'Rouke on Duryea and Ceglar on Hale. Not all like for like but I still think Suckling is harder to replace than those three...

I was one suggesting he was lucky to be playing finals last year, but his September won me over and then some. When he is delivering the ball inside 50 its just ******* brilliant.

I could see him being damaging at Snort with their run & pace, but they're not going to chase him (nor would we let him go) & he'd be handy at shitme as well - they'd probably offer him $800k to our $500k just to rack up a win over Hawthorn after the GF.

I don't know he'd be too valuable at other clubs right now - maybe norf

Agreed, Sydney would love him in the team to take pressure off an aging Rhys Shaw now Malceski's gone.

FWIW, Suckling is an important component to our team, giving us depth and options across half back as an elite ball user, taking pressure off birchall as a rebounder. His ball use is so good that it really makes the most of the hard running of Hill, Smith etc. Hawks will make re-signing him a priority.

What am I talking about?....Clearly the notion of Principle is one which you need to familiarize yourself with!

The incertitude with regards compensation for Free agents is the point!....I'd of thought that to be plainly clear!....Wheather it be under s or overs...Though the one point that held firm under the dictatorship of Vlad; was that Hawthorn were delivered unders on every occasion!

Your self-righteous certitude with regards what we will get or be offered for Suckling strikes me as rather naive...He is an elite kick of the football & such elite skills render high returns in outcomes....On that point alone, he could command a high salary....Your dismissal of that notion as near impossible is more the debatable point.

Your notion of Pick 19 being all we were ever going to get for Buddy smacks of cynicism & bowing to the inevitable corrupt ways of Vlad...Only he could have performed that swindle in order to favor his Sydney side & weaken ours at the same time....Everyone in the AFL knew full well that Pick 1 was the only just & worthy compensation for the number 1 Forward....Your hindsight seer-ship gives your point not a jot more extra weight!

Look, i'm not gonna argue with you anymore as this is going nowhere. I'd be absolutely baffled if a team offered Suckling the 600-650k+ that would be required to get us a first round pick. That's not an attack on him, more that a contract of that size should be for an absolutely elite player, and imo Suckling is nothing but a good player who's got elite kicking (again, not an attack on him, just my honest appraisal). That's the kind of money you give your best 3 or 4 players, and i don't think Suckling is at that level.

Agreed, Sydney would love him in the team to take pressure off an aging Rhys Shaw now Malceski's gone.

FWIW, Suckling is an important component to our team, giving us depth and options across half back as an elite ball user, taking pressure off birchall as a rebounder. His ball use is so good that it really makes the most of the hard running of Hill, Smith etc. Hawks will make re-signing him a priority.
I was one that knocked Suckling quite a bit but I think the last half of last season he improved his hardness at the ball and his tackling, so now he is a quite valuable player considering his kicking skills. Now that Gibson and Mitchell and Hodge have signed up I would have thought he would have signed by now. Will be very interesting to know what he expects, will he explore the market, imaging he would. If he did get a carrot from another club will he hold out and expect the same from us. He probably is around the 19 to 22 in our team, however he would be a lot higher up in some opposition teams.

Suckling is likely to be offered an extra 100k by an opposition team that have the cap space. Because of this i see him definitely going at the end of the year. I believe Litherland could step up and fill the void left by him.

Suckling is likely to be offered an extra 100k by an opposition team that have the cap space. Because of this i see him definitely going at the end of the year. I believe Litherland could step up and fill the void left by him.
Why is he likely to be offered more?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude they're completely different players - Lithers simply can't kick.

Being that he missed 2013 & enjoyed 2014 so much, I don't think he'd go for an extra $100k. I completely agree that he'll be offered $100k more by a couple of teams than we'll offer him though - I think you're spot on there - but I don't think he'll leave.

Why is he likely to be offered more?
Pressure on Hawthorns cap space can only increase after this year, especially if hawks win the premiership again. I can see a lot of rival clubs valuing him highly, especially clubs with poorer users of the ball on the hbf. It isnt unreasonable for him to be offered around the 450k mark to our 350k.

Being that he missed 2013 & enjoyed 2014 so much, I don't think he'd go for an extra $100k. I completely agree that he'll be offered $100k more by a couple of teams than we'll offer him though - I think you're spot on there - but I don't think he'll leave.
There is no doubt suckling is currently the better player and a far superior kick. However, Litherland is very good and breaking the lines and works hard to tackle. I think he has huge upside.

I believe most people in this situation would take the money and go. His circumstance doesnt change the fact for me.

Pressure on Hawthorns cap space can only increase after this year, especially if hawks win the premiership again. I can see a lot of rival clubs valuing him highly, especially clubs with poorer users of the ball on the hbf. It isnt unreasonable for him to be offered around the 450k mark to our 350k.

There is no doubt suckling is currently the better player and a far superior kick. However, Litherland is very good and breaking the lines and works hard to tackle. I think he has huge upside.

I believe most people in this situation would take the money and go. His circumstance doesnt change the fact for me.
But are they going to offer $100K more to a player whose weaknesses are well covered by the team defensive structure and his strengths are emphasized by the team's offensive setup?

Is there any team with cap space to offer an extra $100K that has the same effective defensive structure and ability to run and spread like Hawthorn do?

You may be right re: money; &, only time will tell, but we'll soon lose Hodge, Burgers & Gibbo from HBF & Suckers (with Duryea lesser) will be the guy relied on to kick from defence - nobody on our list gives anywhere near that option. Birch & Stratts will continue & O'Hawk will come on, but long & accurate kickers will be worth more as Hodge & the like retire.

Awesome to hear Burgoyne's manager in talks to extend his contract for next year
Surely our best ever trade
The beauty of this post is that it's highly debatable. Burger has been an amazing acquisition, however I think Gibbo should be part of the debate and who knows what heights Gubston will have reached by the end of his career. In 10 years it could be seen as the blockbuster Stephen Gilham and a pick downgrade for Jed Anderson trade. In other words...we're awesome at trade week!

The beauty of this post is that it's highly debatable. Burger has been an amazing acquisition, however I think Gibbo should be part of the debate and who knows what heights Gubston will have reached by the end of his career. In 10 years it could be seen as the blockbuster Stephen Gilham and a pick downgrade for Jed Anderson trade. In other words...we're awesome at trade week!
Agree
Gibbo has been incredible too
I'd add Russell Greene to that mix as well

But are they going to offer $100K more to a player whose weaknesses are well covered by the team defensive structure and his strengths are emphasized by the team's offensive setup?

Is there any team with cap space to offer an extra $100K that has the same effective defensive structure and ability to run and spread like Hawthorn do?
The counter argument to this sort of logic is: Eddie Betts

I think that's a bit harsh on Lithers. He has a booming kick and last season showed not only his zip off half back, but also good kicking as well into the forward line. Obviously, he doesnt beat Suckers in the kicking dept, but no one in the league does. I do follow the sentiment that IF we did lose him, which would suck (no pun intended), we do have adequate cover for his position.

I mean look at all the backline talent who are just chomping at the bit for a reg position, who would be in the first team for other squads: Lithers, Duryea, Spang, etc.

I think that's a bit harsh on Lithers. He has a booming kick and last season showed not only his zip off half back, but also good kicking as well into the forward line. Obviously, he doesnt beat Suckers in the kicking dept, but no one in the league does. I do follow the sentiment that IF we did lose him, which would suck (no pun intended), we do have adequate cover for his position.

I mean look at all the backline talent who are just chomping at the bit for a reg position, who would be in the first team for other squads: Lithers, Duryea, Spang, etc.

His kicking style is flawed. Kicks it way too high which is fine bombing it long but hitting targets just comes with extra risk that doesn't wprk at AFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back