Mega Thread 2015 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Why strength work in the gym? Wouldn't it be all about running?
If you think about running as the delivery of strength, repeated over time until the battery is empty then every step/jog/sprint, depending on the effort applied, is a certain percentage of the maximum effort.

Walking might be 5% effort (being able to walk about twenty times the distance you can sprint)
Jogging might be 20% effort (being able to jog five times more than you sprint)
Sprinting might be 100% effort

If the strength of the muscles in the legs allows that percentage of effort to drop then the power can be applied for a longer time at the same level.

So as long as your added muscle strength isn't adding extra bulk you will be able to run harder for longer, but from your perspective you are running the same effort for a longer distance. It amounts to the same thing.

So you're telling me the reason for the bad form at the moment is because their training loads have increased therefore they're performance in rounds 20 onwards will suffer?
Modern AFL is about getting to space either to block it and intercept opposition ball movement or to create options to link play. It's all about run.

When we can't run we aren't able to do it, means we can get burned on transition in the later quarters. We couldn't fill space in the fourth, we can't create space to move the ball easily up the field.

It isn't a problem as long as the team can be refreshed prior to the actual important games starting.

Modern AFL is about getting to space either to block it and intercept opposition ball movement or to create options to link play. It's all about run.

When we can't run we aren't able to do it, means we can get burned on transition in the later quarters. We couldn't fill space in the fourth, we can't create space to move the ball easily up the field.

It isn't a problem as long as the team can be refreshed prior to the actual important games starting.

Yes yes, you post this all the time.

However, from what I vagualy gather from your response is that yes, our form is bad because the boys are getting slayed at training. Not to worry then. What a load of crap - that's a cop out. First it was the boys were that far ahead RTB decided to just pack up shop and cruise through quarters, then it wsa the wet weather now it's because the guys are getting destroyed at training but it's all good because these rounds don't matter. They have had perfect opportunities to secure top spot = best run towards the GF and they couldn't do it. If they were of the thinking of as you say then why wouldnt they secure their top spot and THEN coast towards the finals?

Yes yes, you post this all the time.

However, from what I vagualy gather from your response is that yes, our form is bad because the boys are getting slayed at training. Not to worry then. What a load of crap - that's a cop out. First it was the boys were that far ahead RTB decided to just pack up shop and cruise through quarters, then it wsa the wet weather now it's because the guys are getting destroyed at training but it's all good because these rounds don't matter. They have had perfect opportunities to secure top spot = best run towards the GF and they couldn't do it. If they were of the thinking of as you say then why wouldnt they secure their top spot and THEN coast towards the finals?

Do you think there was much discussion when the committee sat down to decide between going all out to win the minor premiership or to put the team in the best physical position to win the flag?

You're getting hung up on finishing top, we only need to beat Melbourne to finish with the home final. We would have beaten North if not for silly mistakes while still having no run in the fourth.

A cop out for what? Round 21 doesn't matter. Round 22 doesn't matter. Round 23 doesn't matter.
You want it to matter but the hard work has already been done earlier in the season.

The problem with the training loads excuse is that you are, in addition to claiming that our increased training loads (whether or not they actually exist) are impacting our performance, claiming that other clubs that we have been flat against have not implemented a similar program. Despite the fact that those clubs are also positioning themselves for a run at the finals. And in the case of West Coast, having a similar advantage of ladder position.

The problem with the training loads excuse is that you are, in addition to claiming that our increased training loads (whether or not they actually exist) are impacting our performance, claiming that other clubs that we have been flat against have not implemented a similar program. Despite the fact that those clubs are also positioning themselves for a run at the finals. And in the case of West Coast, having a similar advantage of ladder position.
Why do you think Hawthorn was outrun by Port who have nothing to play for after round 23?
Do you remember Brisbane outrunning Geelong a couple of years ago and almost pinching a win?

This happens every season from clubs who are used to 25 game years.

Do you think there was much discussion when the committee sat down to decide between going all out to win the minor premiership or to put the team in the best physical position to win the flag?

You're getting hung up on finishing top, we only need to beat Melbourne to finish with the home final. We would have beaten North if not for silly mistakes while still having no run in the fourth.

A cop out for what? Round 21 doesn't matter. Round 22 doesn't matter. Round 23 doesn't matter.
You want it to matter but the hard work has already been done earlier in the season.

haha you have no idea.

If you're trying to excuse what the boys did on the weekend with training overload you're just going to embarrass yourself. Had nothing to do with fitness. Fitness hasn't been a major issue all year.

It was our inability to perform basic skills like handballing, short kicks and shots on goal. We are terribly out of form, hopefully Melbourne can play us into form.

If you think about running as the delivery of strength, repeated over time until the battery is empty then every step/jog/sprint, depending on the effort applied, is a certain percentage of the maximum effort.

Walking might be 5% effort (being able to walk about twenty times the distance you can sprint)
Jogging might be 20% effort (being able to jog five times more than you sprint)
Sprinting might be 100% effort

If the strength of the muscles in the legs allows that percentage of effort to drop then the power can be applied for a longer time at the same level.

So as long as your added muscle strength isn't adding extra bulk you will be able to run harder for longer, but from your perspective you are running the same effort for a longer distance. It amounts to the same thing.

Awesome post. Ta.

It was our inability to perform basic skills like handballing, short kicks and shots on goal. We are terribly out of form, hopefully Melbourne can play us into form.
I agree with the basic skills of handballing and short kicks however we kicked 7.0 to start the game then the wheels fell off in that area coinciding with the other skill errors. We had form and lost form all in the same game.

If you're trying to excuse what the boys did on the weekend with training overload you're just going to embarrass yourself. Had nothing to do with fitness. Fitness hasn't been a major issue all year.

All of which are effected by fatigue. Which could possibly be a result of an increased training load. Possibly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West coast were 10 premiership points behind us before the derby. That is nowhere near the advantage we had 2 weeks ago.

What I see above is Taylor putting forward a logical argument and you having no answer.

Why bother, I have already stated how ridiculous the theory is. I am not going to continue to argue about it when I know that ill get back is regurgitated coach talk which vaguely skirt around what I am querying.

And North Melbourne, would they not be doing something similar to us in regards to training?

NO, their emphasis would be on H & A winning games to get the best possible ladder position.

Also our skills started to deteriorate after the first qtr.

Fatigue would start to effect players even by the end of the first quarter.

And North Melbourne, would they not be doing something similar to us in regards to training? Why didn't their skills go to poo?

Also our skills started to deteriorate after the first qtr.
Some teams are fighting for where they finish. That hasn't been the case for Freo for weeks. Some teams' goals are to play finals, others are to win the whole thing. Teams like Adelaide, Geelong, NM, etc are battling to keep their players as fresh as possible for the game each week, knowing that if they lose, there chances of making finals are significantly dented. Then there's teams like Freo, Hawthorn and Sydney that have expected for most of the season to finish top 4. They have used this time to try and eek out wins and be fresh for the finals.

West Coast are stuck in between, they have known they are top 4 for a while (unless you ask ep2006) but have been striving for top 2.

Why bother, I have already stated how ridiculous the theory is. I am not going to continue to argue about it when I know that ill get back is regurgitated coach talk which vaguely skirt around what I am querying.

You've stated that you think it's ridiculous, but you haven't given any reasons why you have formed that opinion. I'm genuinely interested to hear why you think it's so ridiculous.

So you're telling me the reason for the bad form at the moment is because their training loads have increased therefore they're performance in rounds 20 onwards will suffer?
For what it's worth we've increased the training load at the 2/3 mark for the last 3 seasons, and so have other teams. we've had noticeably flat games in past seasons leading into finals.

It's not an excuse for poor performance, but it is something we do to give us the best chance during finals.

You've stated that you think it's ridiculous, but you haven't given any reasons why you have formed that opinion. I'm genuinely interested to hear why you think it's so ridiculous.

As I've said, see above.

It is ridiculous to blame poor form on simply not giving a s**t about these rounds. Thought the reasons would be obvious? I disputed the comment initially because it seemed like just another excuse.

For what it's worth we've increased the training load at the 2/3 mark for the last 3 seasons, and so have other teams. we've had noticeably flat games in past seasons leading into finals.

It's not an excuse for poor performance, but it is something we do to give us the best chance during finals.

Maybe so and understandable, but to say that the FFC don't care about these rounds is a cop out. I know that's not what you said but that's what I'm not agreeing with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back