2015 WOMENS WORLD CUP THREAD-June 6 to July 5 *AUST V JAP Q/F 6am SUN*

Remove this Banner Ad

This Rapinoe is killing us. USA much better in the second half. We were happy with 1-1. They can still do it.

Solo might be batshit mental but she kept the yanks in the game with a couple of great saves early.

That's true but at the same time we've got quite an experienced World Cup team now too. For a few of them are now at their third world cup. Win the Nigeria game and it goes a long way to getting one of the good third placed spots.

Hoo boy, according to those at the FFA, the US aren't that good: http://matildas.footballaustralia.c...n4bb0tp772tw1kr49r0303wcs#tqMHgVrivjMFj7dF.99

1: The USA, well, they just aren’t that good

The US certainly like to talk a good game. The reality is they play a fairly rudimentary, bog-standard 4-4-2, were short of ideas going forward and outmanoeuvred tactically. ‘Play it long and look for the head of Wambach’ seems the default game-plan for a team stuck in the past.

World football has moved, in case Jill Ellis hasn’t noticed. US were outplayed by a better, smarter footballing side – who were also without two certain starters in Polkinghorne and keeper Williams – before the Aussies ran out of gas.

US relied on the individual brilliance of Megan Rapinoe to win them this game. And Hope Solo in the US goal saved the Americans on numerous occasions in front of a vocal ‘home’ crowd in Canada. If it wasn’t for this world-class keeper, this could’ve been a different result.

2: Australia has developed into a world-class team

Technically gifted, tactically aware, good pressers, attacking intent, young, fearless – this team is fabulous to watch and has developed to a point where they are clearly a better footballing nation than the US.

How many times did they play through the lines? Hold possession in dangerous areas? Play out from the back?

Being able to do this for 90 minutes is the next level for them.

Considering we've lost, this is a bit rich. I think this one speaks for the minority.

Last edited:
I've watched a game a morning so far this week and have thoroughly enjoyed it :thumbsu:

Back at work next week though so doubt I will be seeing anymore of it, but have enjoyed what I have seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't missed a match yet (bless you semester break) and I must say this has been a really enjoyable tournament. The standard of football being played has been really high IMO.

Dissapointed at the lack of media attention it's getting though.

Last edited:
Australia didnt play at their absolute best but you cant complain about a world cup win.

Did anyone see that elbow from njoku of nigeria? Bloody disgraceful

Couple of good finishes there from Simon. Not sure why she didn't start against he US, seems to be our best finisher.
Michelle Heyman has been the dominant striker in the w-league the last 3 or 4 years and probably deserved first crack at the role.

I've tried, but the standard is so poor. Unwatchable IMO.

Glad to see I'm not in the majority there though, crowds have been very impressive so good on them!

Very happy for Simon as she's had to do everything the hard way. She was injured just before being given a scholarship and then broke her leg again a couple of years ago. Her parents also both worked 2 jobs to make sure her and her siblings could go to good schools and not have the same obstacles they had growing up indigenous in Redfern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back