Analysis 2016 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key FF targets: Lynch, Boyd, Cameron, McCarthy, etc would have an immediate up front impact. But would cost us pick #1 and $1m a year in a long term contract.
We
need to develop one IMO. Casboult Gorringe Phillips will need to improve and play the role until KJ, Silvagni, McKay and C Curnow emerge.
Still have no idea on Foster, or why he was picked ahead of Reece McKenzie? No major issue so far as both have not played AFL.

Foster was THE leading goalkicker in the TAC Cup. Good pace to get separation on the lead and a good kick.
Other than McKenzie being the "gorilla" type he has nothing to suggest he is any better prospect than Foster.
Limited opportunities in his first year due to injuries and some decent reports have filtered down from time to
time. I am hoping he gets a good run at it this season, but is still very young by KPP standards. Performed well
at both ends of the ground in NB's. Might not have the hype of some other recruits, but I hope we persist, giving
him time to mature should at very least give us a capable depth swingman.

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/player-profile/tom-lynch

Reading that, I doubt the Suns would just let him walk out the door without a serious fight. If he is as good as you say he is, they will be signing him to a long-term deal very quickly.

Also, what makes you think Lynch is "mature enough to walk in as a ready made leader and command respect" ??

The bloke has already captained his club in the absence of GAJ and Rischitelli (joint vice-captains I believe).
I think I already covered it. Please don't allow your lack of knowledge of other lists to cloud your judgement.
No true student of the game would question the bolded.

I have no idea if he harbours the "go home" mentality as a Victorian boy, but we would have to do due diligence.
I find it astounding that a poster who has bombarded us on the need for big KPP over 195cm as they win games
to question this.

Of any off contract player that we may have a remote chance of attracting he most fits our needs. Do you want
to wait for the KPP rookies you screamed for to mature before moving ahead? Who are they going to learn from?

Foster was THE leading goalkicker in the TAC Cup. Good pace to get separation on the lead and a good kick.
Other than McKenzie being the "gorilla" type he has nothing to suggest he is any better prospect than Foster.
Limited opportunities in his first year due to injuries and some decent reports have filtered down from time to
time. I am hoping he gets a good run at it this season, but is still very young by KPP standards. Performed well
at both ends of the ground in NB's. Might not have the hype of some other recruits, but I hope we persist, giving
I think BR has a point here. McKenzie wasn't just a gorilla; he tested in the top ten at the combine in the vertical leap and the 20 metre sprint (!), and was equal first in the clean hands. When he was on he kicked bags. It was a surprise when we passed on him, especially as a son of a former player, and took the son of a mate of Mick's.
Having said that, he seems to be struggling at Richmond. Hope they both come good, but I would have picked Reece.

The bloke has already captained his club in the absence of GAJ and Rischitelli (joint vice-captains I believe). I think I already covered it. .

He has filled in as captain for a game or two ....... so what ?? You have covered nothing at all !!

Weitering & Cripps will be leaders of this team over time, we don't need to be recruiting players on what you perceive their leadership potential is.

Please don't allow your lack of knowledge of other lists to cloud your judgement. No true student of the game would question the bolded.

So because I don't spend countless hours pouring over the lists of the other 17 teams in the comp, my judgment is clouded ??

You must be a real hoot around the dinner table at night.

I have no idea if he harbours the "go home" mentality as a Victorian boy, but we would have to do due diligence.

I would of thought a true student of the game would already know the answer to that.

I find it astounding that a poster who has bombarded us on the need for big KPP over 195cm as they win games to question this.

Don't confuse my mantra on drafting 196cm key position players and the realistic chances of securing a readymade forward from another club who is already light-on for players in that department.

Of any off contract player that we may have a remote chance of attracting he most fits our needs. Do you want to wait for the KPP rookies you screamed for to mature before moving ahead? Who are they going to learn from?

By all means, look at all potential players on the market but FFS, throwing stupid amounts of money at a guy his age will certainly come back to bite you on the butt, it's only a matter of time before the Dogs find that out with Boyd.

Who are they going to learn from ?? What a cop-out line !!

And yes, I am more than prepared to wait for all of the newbies to develop into a seriously competitive team, I've had a gutful of the quick-fix approach which has got us nowhere.

Last edited:
What are the tall forwards like in this years draft? I would rather draft one with our first pick than trade it.

Not the point of my post, but other than academy types and ruck/forwards like Strnadica the KPF
in the draft will include Josh Battle, who has been claiming the honours in AFL academy time trials and
one for Blues fans is Patrick Kerr who has had his style compared to Nick Riewoldt and happens to be
the grandson of Carlton Hall of Famer Laurie Kerr FYI.

The post, which has escaped some others like the desert dweller, was more suggesting our lack of
leaders in the forward line, given our focus on "leadership density". Of the off contract premium players,
Lynch is the one I feel best suits our needs rather than the Prestia, O'Meara types many on here are
drooling over. Or middle of the road (maybe slightly better) types like Tomlinson.

Like you, I fully favour the draft, but drafting means patience, and it is in short supply around here.

Not the point of my post, but other than academy types and ruck/forwards like Strnadica the KPF
in the draft will include Josh Battle, who has been claiming the honours in AFL academy time trials and
one for Blues fans is Patrick Kerr who has had his style compared to Nick Riewoldt and happens to be
the grandson of Carlton Hall of Famer Laurie Kerr FYI.

The post, which has escaped some others like the desert dweller, was more suggesting our lack of
leaders in the forward line, given our focus on "leadership density". Of the off contract premium players,
Lynch is the one I feel best suits our needs rather than the Prestia, O'Meara types many on here are
drooling over. Or middle of the road (maybe slightly better) types like Tomlinson.

Like you, I fully favour the draft, but drafting means patience, and it is in short supply around here.

A few have asked the question regarding forward line leader / general on field in other threads - me included. It is a good question and a fair question. Coaching the forwards will be the toughest job at Carlton this year I suspect - perhaps an answer will lie in how well drilled and coached these blokes will be.

I have noticed that Casboult is running straight lines in a few of the video snippets - hopefully it is straight lines out of the goal square - smashing ayone in his way out of the way. If Walker gets his body right and features he will probably provide the general duties in terms of organising on field moves and ensuring that (for example) we don't allow for loose man situations without the opposition taking risks or easy get outs. Won't surprise me to see Jones being given another decent run at things early on if his fitness has improved - and it looks like Gorringe is being slotted into a tall role in forward line as well - otherwise Everitt will have to play much more forward and his run down the wings will be missed.

It is pre-season and we all get a bit optimistic at this stage ( hence my Jones comment) but with Gorringe/Phillips/C.Curnow a rotating Kreuzer/Everitt and Jones available - at least the height factor is now covered. The small forward situation is one of greater challenge - and here we have to look for Kerridge/Lamb/Smith - perhaps Buckley or Thomas to take the opportunity.

Walker Gorringe(?)/ Kreuzer(?) Boekhurst
Lamb? Kerridge ? Casboult Thomas ? Buckley? Smith ?

It will be interesting to see what Bolton comes up with in pre-season games as a hint towards making up a starting forward six.

This is where you have me wrong, I am all about the draft and thoroughly building a list. I have the patience to wait for it to return on the investment too.

I don't want to see quick-fixes or shortcuts, we've tried them and failed on each occasion.

Upon draft night, Foster was annointed as our Jack Gunston type prodigy/hope. Agile, good kick for goal. Let him at it in the VFL and see how he goes.

in the draft will include Josh Battle, who has been claiming the honours .

Please, please stay away from Strnadica..
Finding a relevant pun on his name would be nigh on impossible!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Upon draft night, Foster was annointed as our Jack Gunston type prodigy/hope. Agile, good kick for goal. Let him at it in the VFL and see how he goes.

Agreed - Foster did not have a great first year at the club, but he should be given time if we can afford to give it, which we can.

Was played both forward and back at VFL level last year. I'd like to see him permanently up forward for the Northern Blues to show what he has to offer.

Agreed - Foster did not have a great first year at the club, but he should be given time if we can afford to give it, which we can.

Was played both forward and back at VFL level last year. I'd like to see him permanently up forward for the Northern Blues to show what he has to offer.

Yes, many of us would like to see him permanently forward at the Northern Blues. He may be in some danger of delisting at season's end if he does not perform, however...........
.....if we don't fast track Charlie Curnow we are going to have McKay, Jones, Curnow, Foster, Silvagni, Phillips/Gorringe rotating with Wood and maybe Korchek in the ruck as tall targets at Northern. A couple have to miss out or play elsewhere. Really hoping Foster is given a fair audition (more confident of it happening this year than last)

Yes, many of us would like to see him permanently forward at the Northern Blues. He may be in some danger of delisting at season's end if he does not perform, however...........
.....if we don't fast track Charlie Curnow we are going to have McKay, Jones, Curnow, Foster, Silvagni, Phillips/Gorringe rotating with Wood and maybe Korchek in the ruck as tall targets at Northern. A couple have to miss out or play elsewhere. Really hoping Foster is given a fair audition (more confident of it happening this year than last)

Fair to say that he is. Will need to pull a rabbit out of the hat and quick. SOS isn't particularly patient as we've all seen.

Foster, DVR, Smith, Tutt, Rowe, Armfield, Gowers, Dick, Graham, Wood, Gallucci and Wright would all be in the gun at this stage.....for starters

Fair to say that he is. Will need to pull a rabbit out of the hat and quick. SOS isn't particularly patient as we've all seen.

Foster, DVR, Smith, Tutt, Rowe, Armfield, Gowers, Dick, Graham, Wood, Gallucci and Wright would all be in the gun at this stage.....for starters
I get that all rookies are naturally in the gun given they are often on year-to-year contracts, but I hate seeing it written before they've even started their first season. Feels like we don't give them a chance and just assume they will be written off.

I get that all rookies are naturally in the gun given they are often on year-to-year contracts, but I hate seeing it written before they've even started their first season. Feels like we don't give them a chance and just assume they will be written off.

Got you and fair enough. Shouldn't have put that in.

All fair enough, and all players in their final year of contract (or initial). They'd be well aware of where they sit in the scheme of things, such is the beast of list management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back