Preview 2016 NAB Cup Preview: Week 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
AM-3936-1115-NC-AFL-WH-940x135.jpg

Notes

Unlike last year this years NAB Cup will not feature a match every day. All NAB Challenge matches will be live on Foxtel, the AFL app, and on watchafl.com for those overseas.

(If you dont have Foxtel, you can get if here with no lock in contract at $50 a month). If you are overseas you can get access to matches via watchafl.com ($164 for the season, $28 per month) - note some clubs also offer a digital membership that includes this product and is priced from around $170.00 [eg Carlton].

Please do not ask for streams in gameday threads or elsewhere.

Member entry this year

Club Members with home & away entry entitlements will have free general admission access to NAB Challenge matches in which their Club is competing by scanning their membership card into the venue on match day, subject to capacity.

Alternatively, Club members can guarantee their entry by registering for a general admission ticket or upgrading to a reserved seat via the relevant ticket agent using their 2016 membership barcode, subject to availability.

Rule Changes

The "Sub Rule" has been removed and the interchange cap reduced from 120 to 90 rotations per game in 2016. The game will return to four interchange players with clubs allowed to also make changes at quarter breaks. Forced changes such as the blood rule, concussion assessment and stretcher changes will not be counted as part of the rotations.

Dangerous tackles will be more heavily punished in 2016 as the AFL clamps down on tackles made with a lifting, slinging or rotating technique.

In a series of minor changes the AFL will also:
- Widen the protected area around the mark
- Monitor the handover of who is guarding the mark
- More strictly apply the deliberate out-of-bounds rule
- Have stronger grounds to appeal tribunal and MRP penalties

There was strong discussion around trialling a rule that would see clubs lose possession if their last kick or handball went out of bounds but that will not happen. Rather, the AFL will monitor results of the new rule being adopted in the SANFL.

2016 NAB Challenge - Week 1 Fixture

2016NAB1_HawvCarl.png

2016NAB1_FreovRich.png

2016NAB1_StKvNorth.png

2016NAB1_SydvPort.png

2016NAB1_AdelvWCE.png

2016NAB1_BrisvGC.png

Other notes

Last edited:

i might head to the Lions v Suns game...
i'm not too far at all from the venue... easier to get to for me than The Gabba

I picked up my GA ticket to the Unley Oval Crows v WEagles game last week. Only 10,000 available due to the capacity of "Dog Poo* Park."
2 weeks until footy is back :D

*So called because the local residents petitioned their council to replace the permanent fences around Sturt FC's SANFL home with removable fences to be taken down after each match so 'their' oval could be more like an English Village green. They then proceeded to walk their dogs on it. strewth!

Playing Freo...I'm assuming it's in WA, so I'd expect a 'very young team' from Richmond. Credit to any non-Richmond fans who know who the players are. (and I wouldn't expect Freo to have their top line in either)

Of course, after this game that wont stop anyone from using the game as proof of their theories about how the season will go. (also true for almost all NOB challenge games).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might head out to the Swans Power game. Don't mind Blacktown as a stadium to watch a pre season game.

I was lucky enough to play there last year.

Rooty Hill ftw!

Who were you playing for?

Watched my friend play a women's grand final there last season (was the curtain raiser for a NEAFL final). Great ground to watch the action close up :thumbsu:

UTS Bats - div 5 semi

Not bleeding, but rather still covered in Tiger blood 5 months on

Really? I would have though the more recent and bigger defeat of North by the Eagles would have left more blood.

My List of players to watch during the NAB regional Challenge

Adelaide; Brad Crouch
Lions: Schache
Carlton: Wietering
Collingwood:Aish
Essendon: Parrish
Fremantle; Weller
Geelong: Menzel
Goast Coast: O'Meara
GWS: Hopper
Hawthorn: Howe
Kangaroos:Anderson