Oppo Camp 2016 non-Geelong match and general football (Australian Rules) discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christensen was going to be a focal point of our midfield for the next decade. He had off field issues (something the club should have tried to monitor a lot more closely than what they did) and due to this, he asked to be traded. It has cost us a very dynamic footballer. Mids who kick a goal per game and use the ball as well as he can on the outside are highly sort after. Big loss in the long term scheme of things.
Jarrad Jansen was also treated a little unfairly. Similarly to Joel Hamling, some of these kids showed they could mix it with the best (NAB Challenge), and their form in the VFL most certainly warranted at least a crack at the big time but they didn't get that opportunity. If Jansen does indeed break into Brisbane's best 22 and becomes a regular contributor, the Geelong footy club has no one else to blame but it's self for not giving him a go.
It is no different to the circumstances which begun to arise midyear last year with Jake Kolodjashnij who had spent a couple of years in the VFL without receiving a single senior game and rumors began to circulate he was testing the waters in regards to a possible trade at seasons end. Thankfully, injury and form slump to Jared Rivers persisted and Jake got his opportunity. But it could have been a whole lot different had Rivers remained in solid form and Jake remained in the VFL for the rest of the season.

Not sure how closely a club can monitor and dictate a player's personal life, without breaching that person's privacy and relevant privacy laws, or being seen as 'Big Brother'.

He made the choices he did, not the club. He needed to get out of town because of those choices, not because the club failed.

Not sure how closely a club can monitor and dictate a player's personal life, without breaching that person's privacy and relevant privacy laws, or being seen as 'Big Brother'.

He made the choices he did, not the club. He needed to get out of town because of those choices, not because the club failed.
no no no,the club made him gamble and made him knock up some Lara chick and do all his other s**t.
I blame Chris Scott for not holding Bundys hand 24/7.

Am I doing it right Bobby ?

totally agree
He can enjoy his cash and his new home
Tool of the highest order

no no no,the club made him gamble and made him knock up some Lara chick and do all his other s**t.
I blame Chris Scott for not holding Bundys hand 24/7.

Am I doing it right Bobby ?
Same applies for Hartman. He made choices and one of those was to turn his back on an AFL career. He has to live by those choices.

All I hope is that he's happy with the choice he's made. If he's happy with his choices then that's all that really matters.

Christensen was going to be a focal point of our midfield for the next decade. He had off field issues (something the club should have tried to monitor a lot more closely than what they did) and due to this, he asked to be traded. It has cost us a very dynamic footballer. Mids who kick a goal per game and use the ball as well as he can on the outside are highly sort after. Big loss in the long term scheme of things.
Jarrad Jansen was also treated a little unfairly. Similarly to Joel Hamling, some of these kids showed they could mix it with the best (NAB Challenge), and their form in the VFL most certainly warranted at least a crack at the big time but they didn't get that opportunity. If Jansen does indeed break into Brisbane's best 22 and becomes a regular contributor, the Geelong footy club has no one else to blame but it's self for not giving him a go.
It is no different to the circumstances which begun to arise midyear last year with Jake Kolodjashnij who had spent a couple of years in the VFL without receiving a single senior game and rumors began to circulate he was testing the waters in regards to a possible trade at seasons end. Thankfully, injury and form slump to Jared Rivers persisted and Jake got his opportunity. But it could have been a whole lot different had Rivers remained in solid form and Jake remained in the VFL for the rest of the season.
I work with Jarrad's uncle and the money he is getting from the Lions is three times the amount than what we were offering him. So it is a bit much to say the club has only itself to blame. Not many 3rd year players often get a pay rise in the magnitude of 3 times their previous salary

I work with Jarrad's uncle and the money he is getting from the Lions is three times the amount than what we were offering him. So it is a bit much to say the club has only itself to blame. Not many 3rd year players often get a pay rise in the magnitude of 3 times their previous salary
Wow, then that changes things given who we recruited and how tight our salary cap apparently has become.

the issue for the lions is to pay him circa 350 and then performs and asks for a pay rise, you are placing your list at risk with a number of players getting overs
long term its a risky strategy

not at all, an untried player should not be getting paid 250 or above
its madness money
Did you comprehend what I'm saying?

It is outrageous money for someone with zero games. I was saying that all this talk about how we were negligent in losing him is now confirmed to be off the mark given what it appears is the reason he left.

I call BS

Did you comprehend what I'm saying?

It is outrageous money for someone with zero games. I was saying that all this talk about how we were negligent in losing him is now confirmed to be off the mark given what it appears is the reason he left.
i did
it was said at the time he left it was for cash
old news

bundy went there as they offered him great coin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I call BS
Just passing on what I was told VC, asked him why Jarrad left was it for game time or another reason. He said that the lure of game time was a factor but he couldn't turn down the difference in what the Lions were offering and what we were. I asked how great it was $50-100k? And was told the three times the amount figure.

To be fair most of the recent dross in here was moved from the Scott thread :$
No it was in the PD/Gore trade thread….
And it sure as hell didn't belong there.

Go Catters

Just passing on what I was told VC, asked him why Jarrad left was it for game time or another reason. He said that the lure of game time was a factor but he couldn't turn down the difference in what the Lions were offering and what we were. I asked how great it was $50-100k? And was told the three times the amount figure.
Always suspected it was the offer of a larger contract with more game time .

Good luck to the kid I hope he makes something of his opportunity , although I suspect that moving to a weaker club with a weaker list will do damage to his football development.

But can't begrudge the oppurtunity to earn that kind of money .

No doubt being in the queue and not moving up is hard, and that made harder by a Top 3 player in the comp coming in.
I get the attraction of other opportunities - and 40 does not go into 22 very well…

I tend to agree that of the 2 environments GFC is the better place to experience as a player ( IMO from the outside looking in) but that gets hard when you are not making it at the highest level.

Good luck to him.

Go Catters

totally agree
He can enjoy his cash and his new home
Tool of the highest order
There were a few players who didn't seem to have a problem with Bundy post the Lions game last year, from memory,Mots,Cocky, Bartel, Johnson and maybe a couple of others went to him immediately after the game and I didn't see any animosity in fact quite the opposite,so not to sure your call of tool of the greatest order is shared by his ex team mates.

There were a few players who didn't seem to have a problem with Bundy post the Lions game last year, from memory,Mots,Cocky, Bartel, Johnson and maybe a couple of others went to him immediately after the game and I didn't see any animosity in fact quite the opposite,so not to sure your call of tool of the greatest order is shared by his ex team mates.
yup cocky was around with him for how long

Especially when they have yet to crack it for an AFL game.

Didn't know what to do with this so bunged it here.
Australia Post AFL Multicultural Player Ambassadors:

• Tom Hawkins (Geelong)
  • Adam Saad (Gold Coast Suns – Lebanese)
  • Tom Nicholls (Gold Coast Suns – Fijian)
  • Nic Natanui (West Coast – Fijian)
  • Bachar Houli (Richmond – Lebanese)
  • David Zaharakis (Essendon – Greek)
  • Paul Puopolo (Hawthorn – Italian)
  • Shem Tatupu (Hawthorn – Kiwi)
  • Alipate Carlile (Port Adelaide – Fijian)
  • Jimmy Toumpas (Port Adelaide – Greek)
  • Stephen Coniglio (GWS Giants – Italian)
  • Aliir Aliir (Sydney – Sudanese)
  • Lin Jong (Western Bulldogs – Taiwanese and East Timorese)
  • Jason Johannisen (Western Bulldogs – South African)
  • Tendai Mzungu (Fremantle – Zimbabwean)
  • Dayne Zorko (Brisbane Lions – Yugoslavian)
  • Darcy Vescio (Western Bulldogs – Chinese and Italian)
  • Sabrina Frederick-Traub (Melbourne – English)

• Tom Hawkins Geelong FFS. Geelong AUSTRALIAN we still exist

Didn't know what to do with this so bunged it here.
Australia Post AFL Multicultural Player Ambassadors:

• Tom Hawkins (Geelong)

You don't need to be a non-anglo to be the Ambassador I suppose, but gee it looks strange! Like Tony Abbott being the Minister for Women.

Might as well ask the brethren in here as well. Who is/was a better footballer. Judd or Hodge?
Judd was more brilliant at his peak but Hodge has been/is more durable and consistent and is still not finished. Moreover, whilst Judd lead by inspirational individual performances on field Hodge has evolved into a superb on field leader directing the traffic, but capable of individual brilliance as well. Considering his output has hardly dropped over the last 3 years and that he can play forward, midfield or back as required and can virtually coach the team on field Hodge for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back