Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2022, part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From yesterday:

That is absolutely ridiculous from Brisbane. If they keep that up all season, they will go close to the flag.

A super common thing I have noticed the last few seasons is teams with a small injury list keep their best teams on the park, which means cohesion goes up.

Only thing against Brisbane is if they face certain teams on the MCG they will lose.

That is absolutely ridiculous from Brisbane. If they keep that up all season, they will go close to the flag.

A super common thing I have noticed the last few seasons is teams with a small injury list keep their best teams on the park, which means cohesion goes up.

Only thing against Brisbane is if they face certain teams on the MCG they will lose.

Had a quick look, and since 2000, the majority of premiership sides have used 30-35 players during the season, which tends to suggest they've been able to keep most of their players out of the medical room and been able to keep a large core of players on the park to build up continuity and synergy during the season.

Last year for example, we used 35 players, and 19 of them played 20 games or more during the season. On GF day, only Danger (18), Parfitt (17), Henry (17) and Rohan (12) had played less than 20 games during the year.

Had a quick look, and since 2000, the majority of premiership sides have used 30-35 players during the season, which tends to suggest they've been able to keep most of their players out of the medical room and been able to keep a large core of players on the park to build up continuity and synergy during the season.

Last year for example, we used 35 players, and 19 of them played 20 games or more during the season. On GF day, only Danger (18), Parfitt (17), Henry (17) and Rohan (12) had played less than 20 games during the year.
At the moment from our best 22 as it stands I would say its only Stanley, Stengle and Henry who are a real low chance of hitting 20 games because of their injuries. I think Kolo and Duncan started slow but both usually are consistent and don't get many injuries. And I would guess there would be 2 players that might play finals this season with under 20 games because we have players who I think will be in and out of the team because they can't cement a spot.

It can't be a coincidence, it sure looks like a massive factor.

Will Schofield out of retirement for the WCE ressies because they are so short on numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mostly Tiger fans 😂. That fan base amazes me with what they post and carry on about.

Not intending to make light of CET, but I saw a Richmond fan on Twitter earlier this week wondering if Vlaustin's drop of form could be due to the hit he received from Dangerfield in the 2020 grand final. Bit of a long bow to draw there I would've thought.

Not intending to make light of CET, but I saw a Richmond fan on Twitter earlier this week wondering if Vlaustin's drop of form could be due to the hit he received from Dangerfield in the 2020 grand final. Bit of a long bow to draw there I would've thought.
Who hit Cotchin and Dusty and Reiwoldt and Lynch then?

Been a big drop across the board to the whole team …must be CTE across the entire team

There a lot more wrong with Richmond than injury though.

Changing your midfield over is like changing the lead singer in a band. It's a whole new band with a new sound.

They need to discover their new sound, and the risk is that when they figure out what that sound is it might not be that great.

Worth noting that our upcoming issue is almost identical, though I would say we're better prepared.

There a lot more wrong with Richmond than injury though.

Changing your midfield over is like changing the lead singer in a band. It's a whole new band with a new sound.

They need to discover their new sound, and the risk is that when they figure out what that sound is it might not be that great.

Worth noting that our upcoming issue is almost identical, though I would say we're better prepared.
The issue is they picked up two players from probably the 10th best performing midfield last season. And you would still take Kelly, Green and Coniglio over Hopper and Taranto. The funny thing is GWS received so many ridiculously high draft picks yet most of this list are not good users of the footy. Taranto gets in and under, finds ways to rack it up but is less efficient and far less damaging than Dangerfield ever was. Without that game breaking dominance. A fine enough recruit but I just don't see him or Hopper saving the team. They should've gone to the draft.

The issue is they picked up two players from probably the 10th best performing midfield last season. And you would still take Kelly, Green and Coniglio over Hopper and Taranto. The funny thing is GWS received so many ridiculously high draft picks yet most of this list are not good users of the footy. Taranto gets in and under, finds ways to rack it up but is less efficient and far less damaging than Dangerfield ever was. Without that game breaking dominance. A fine enough recruit but I just don't see him or Hopper saving the team. They should've gone to the draft.
I really want to find an old interview from a post match with Hardwick circa 2018-19ish where he was defending a question from a journalist about not winning clearances.

I remember him saying something along the lines of "we used to try and just get the ball and kick it to the key forward, we finished ninth"

I remember it shocked me at the time he was so blunt about previous years performances and previous game plan.

Now, they're going out of their way to create a midfield that just slams it on the boot and hopes it finds Lynch. I wonder where they're on track to finish this year.

I really want to find an old interview from a post match with Hardwick circa 2018-19ish where he was defending a question from a journalist about not winning clearances.

I remember him saying something along the lines of "we used to try and just get the ball and kick it to the key forward, we finished ninth"

I remember it shocked me at the time he was so blunt about previous years performances and previous game plan.

Now, they're going out of their way to create a midfield that just slams it on the boot and hopes it finds Lynch. I wonder where they're on track to finish this year.

You can't always recruit the types of players you need/want sometimes you can only get what is available. Similarly you shouldn't play a style that doesn't suit your players. Richmond used to fill their outside players and flankers with guys who can run, now they've fitted in a bunch of banged up 30 year olds who used to be inside mids.

We wanted Hopper and once that wasn't possible we settled for Bruhn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back