NRL 2016 NRL Grand Final - Melbourne Storm vs Cronulla Sharks

Who'll win the 2016 NRL Grand Final

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

i has a query.

cronk was being tackled just after kicking. is there a rule that prohibits this? everytime a shark did it, a storm player just ran to distract without contact
Grey area. If hit late enough it's a penalty where the ball lands, and if attacking the elgs/hitting the player in the air it's a penalty where the ball lands. But it's very much to the refs discretion. There was a couple last night I thought Cronk got hammered pretty late but unlikely to see it penalised, and it wasn't.

Are you referring to the second man in swinging arm when the player was on the ground? Yeah, it's the fault of the guy who got a high shot, not the tackler.

It was a tap, my little sister used to hit harder than that.

He dived and milked it beautifully but it ruined the game and tainted the premiership.

He dived and milked it beautifully but it ruined the game and tainted the premiership.

He had already been tackled and the second man in flopped on him with a swinging arm under the chin. You are the only person I have seen suggest otherwise.

Happy for you to think it was tainted though. Makes it all the sweeter when rationality goes out the window and people lost their s**t.

Wow what a game, what a win!!!

One thing tonight's game showed, they need tougher rules for dirty play on GFs. Storm went the man, took out players at will and at what cost? One is leaving and any others will miss a couple of early games next year. Change the rules, reportable offence = 10 in the bin. Would have won comfortably if they had been binned, that way one team isn't penalised for losing players to dirty play

Anyway fantastic win against the odds, refs were OK even though Storm had to try and kill someone to be penalised and even then some of them got overlooked like the shoulder to the head...

Sharks can thank Sutton for screwing up first week of finals so bad he got demoted from no1 ref! Smith would have missed QLDs no fan tonight

I am pretty sure this post is taking the piss.

It was as blatant a penalty as you'll ever see.

Facts of the NRL Grand Final Refereeing (as posted by a neutral team's CEO):

Up to the NRL Grand Final the head referee (Matt Cecchin) officiated:

• 7 Cronulla Sharks matches (7 wins, 0 losses)
Of those 7 matches;

• 4 opposing head coaches questioned game-deciding or game-breaking decisions
  • The NRL's elite performance manager of referees (head of NRL Referees), Tony Archer, agreed with the opposition coaches on all four occasions.

• 5 Melbourne Storm matches (1 win, 4 losses -- note: Storm lost FIVE total games before the NRL Grand Final)
Of those 4 losses

• Craig Bellamy sent a please explain to Tony Archer on 3 different occasions. Each time Tony Archer sided with Craig Bellamy and said that Cecchin was wrong.

On a personal front

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Cecchin

"Cecchin's father played reserve grade for the Newtown Jets."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown_Jets

Note the last sentence:

Re-emergence

In 2000, Newtown entered a team in the NSWRL Premier League, the second-tier NSW competition to the NRL. While a stand-alone club for many purposes, they have acted as a feeder for NRL teams such as South Sydney, Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, Auckland, Sydney Rooster (until the end of the 2014 season), and as of the start of the 2015 season with the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks.

It doesn't get any more damning than that. The 2016 NRL Grand Final was fixed.

Just got home after an epic weekend.
Perfect weather in Sydney.
Great game. Sharks outdefended the best defensive team in the comp. They deserved to win.
Gotta say, Sharks fans were absolutely brilliant. No bullshit negative aggro comments unlike in 2012 when we played Canterbury.
They were good natured, gracious in victory and friendly.
Congratulations Sharks. Up, up...

Of those 7 matches;

• The NRL's elite performance manager of referees (head of NRL Referees), Tony Archer, agreed with the opposition coaches on all four occasions.

• 5 Melbourne Storm matches (1 win, 4 losses -- note: Storm lost FIVE total games before the NRL Grand Final)
Of those 4 losses

• Craig Bellamy sent a please explain to Tony Archer on 3 different occasions. Each time Tony Archer sided with Craig Bellamy and said that Cecchin was wrong.

On a personal front

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Cecchin

"Cecchin's father played reserve grade for the Newtown Jets."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown_Jets

Note the last sentence:

Re-emergence

In 2000, Newtown entered a team in the NSWRL Premier League, the second-tier NSW competition to the NRL. While a stand-alone club for many purposes, they have acted as a feeder for NRL teams such as South Sydney, Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, Auckland, Sydney Rooster (until the end of the 2014 season), and as of the start of the 2015 season with the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks.

Newtown were a standalone NSWRL club in their own right and have no historical ties to Cronulla. In fact when they were turfed, it was after Wests were booted out and went to court to be reinstated and it came down to Cronulla or Newtown to go. An old Newtown player probably wouldn't have any particular affinity with us.

Aside from that which were the contentious game changing decisions that made the game fixed?

The penalty for the high shot on Townsend that has seen the tackler charged? The high shot that lead to another set whereby Fifita scored.

Happy to debate specific penalties but a general vibe that we got the rub of the green this season doesn't take away the GF result. Sharks were clearly the better team on the night IMBO.

Newtown were a standalone NSWRL club in their own right and have no historical ties to Cronulla. In fact when they were turfed, it was after Wests were booted out and went to court to be reinstated and it came down to Cronulla or Newtown to go. An old Newtown player probably wouldn't have any particular affinity with us.

Aside from that which were the contentious game changing decisions that made the game fixed?

The penalty for the high shot on Townsend that has seen the tackler charged? The high shot that lead to another set whereby Fifita scored.

Happy to debate specific penalties but a general vibe that we got the rub of the green this season doesn't take away the GF result. Sharks were clearly the better team on the night IMBO.
If we won, we would have pinched it.
Don't get me wrong. I'm ******* proud of my team and the way they played the season and fought it out last night. A lesser team would have been beaten by 20. How Cronulla were in front by only 8 at half time was a testimony to our defence and how good it is.
But Sharks did deserve to win. They played better, they took their chances and just generally controlled the game.
Refereeing? Meh. Nothing to see here. Thought the game was refereed quite well.
Once again, better side won.
Bring on 2017.

Of those 7 matches;

Of those 4 losses

I love it when Melbourne Storm lose, it's always the referees fault

Yep we have a great record with Cecchin, probably as we won most games this year and he is a good referee. Doesn't call or fall for bullshit penalties

Let's face it, if Sutton doesn't screw up the Broncos v Titans so badly he has to be dropped, Storm may have won the premiership. If you want to talk about clear cheating then Sutton is your man.

I know Sharks have a shocking record with him, Storm probably unbeaten and we know he loves Cam and the QLDers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to put chambers in there.

He was MOTM for the Sharks for not passing to Cronk! Typical centre though wouldn't know how to set his winger up even if there is a 4 on 1 overlap! He's lucky he scored the earlier one as he had a man un-marked on his outside!

The only thing that was ordinary was the Melbourne attack...funnily the only time Melbourne looked good and dangerous was the last 10 minutes when they spread the ball, the halves for Melbourne were competing for Worst on Ground.

If it is high, it's high. Stop clocking blokes high and there won't be penalties!

Back