Live Event 2017 Charles Sutton Medal - 4 October, 7pm @ Crown Palladium

Remove this Banner Ad

Bont is now the youngest player in our history to win duel Charles Sutton Medals. Took the mantle from Scott West.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

i-challenge-you-to-a-duel.jpg

jj had a shocking season maybe 3-4 rounds he was decent.

58b60830d26ef5b1f63fd4edb732fe5c220cba41465f207836d5bf861c5ece40.jpg
I'm surprised at the result but don't think this is accurate at all. Reckon he had maybe four poor weeks and a handful of mediocre ones.

Charles Sutton Medal Top 10

1. Marcus Bontempelli (185 votes)
  2. Jason Johannisen (184 votes)
  3. Jack Macrae (155 votes)
  4. Easton Wood (138 votes)
  5. Caleb Daniel (134 votes)
  6. Lachie Hunter (125 votes)
  7. Matt Suckling (119)
  8. Zaine Cordy (119)
  9. Shane Biggs (95 votes)
  10. Liam Picken (85 votes)

Yep, and it's not just the Ching voters! ;)

Naah, they are different voting systems. Ours is simply the top 5 vote totals from all submitted votes. The CSM (correct me someone if I'm wrong) is based on every player getting between 1 and 5 votes from multiple coaches (dunno how many). So even if you have played a poor game you get at least 1 vote. And even our best on the day might not get 5 votes.

Over the years we have not been too far off the mark with the Ching but the CSM always throws up a surprise or two in the top 3 (Hunter and Morris come to mind in recent years) and occasionally even the winner.

So Bont and Macrae played 22 games this year and JJ played 20. That means JJ averaged 9.2 votes per game while Bont averaged 8.4 and Macrae 7.0. That's why I'd be interested in knowing how many coaches vote. Might only be 3-4 of them.

afl.com.au article says “Following each AFL match, coach Luke Beveridge and four assistants each give a vote from zero to five for each player. Players can receive a minimum of zero or maximum of 25 votes for any game.”

afl.com.au article says “Following each AFL match, coach Luke Beveridge and four assistants each give a vote from zero to five for each player. Players can receive a minimum of zero or maximum of 25 votes for any game.”
Thanks. The 0-5 makes more sense.

I read a post from VD earlier that said players received 1-5 votes from each coach.

#BanVD

Dahlhaus also you would think should have been top ten.

Dahl was on fire the first half of the season, plenty were saying he'd be leading the B&F.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen enough
It's not just our Ching votes
The players own expectations
Or the stats which all make this embarrassing
JJ s season is clearly worse than last season.
These votes are insane
Suckling - god almighty

Anyone who has been involved at a club will appreciate what a * up this is -

Those hair line stress fractures just became compound breaks

Mark my words we are in free fall.

We will have a new coach for the 2019 season

What is often overlooked is that managing success is the hardest thing of all. And we are not managing at all.

bont 185 votes ÷ 22 games played = 8.4 votes a game on ave.

surely bont wasnt only averaging 8.4 votes out of a maximum 25 each game ?

or have i calculated it incorrectly..?

I've seen enough
These votes are insane
Suckling - god almighty

Anyone who has been involved at a club will appreciate what a **** up this is -

What is often overlooked is that managing success is the hardest thing of all. And we are not managing at all.

Relax please... you are worrying fellow posters.

Congrats to the Bont, another well deserved B&F. Surely has to be odds-on to win it again next year?

JJ's vote count is so high because the 5 games that he was out of form, we lost 4 and only beat North in a close game, so therefore he probably didn't "miss out" if half the team were getting 0's anyway. What we can glean from the total votes, it's not as if, on average, a 3 is given to the 11th best player in an average performance - that's massive overs.

e.g. winner = Bont = 185 votes/110 (b/c 5 coaches, 22 games) = 1.7 votes per coach in an average game.

Our best player still averaged less than a 2 for the typical game he played, which seems kind of silly for a voting system where there's the option of getting as many as 25 points in a game, 5 from 5 coaches.

That means that in a typical game, even players who played 'okay' would still be getting 0's, lumped in with the atrocious performances (like JJ getting 9 touches and his direct opponent Hewett getting goals the other way), 1 for 'good' games, 2 for 'very good', 3 for 'outstanding' and 4 and 5 reserved for the once-in-a-season type performances. My guess is that in some of our worse losses, upwards of 15 or 16 players would be getting 0's.

That's just logical deduction for the maths to make sense.

It seems like a terrible system to me, because, the whole purpose of a voting system where you rate every player on a scale, is so you can be a bit more granular, so you don't lump the worst player with the 10th or 14th or 7th or whatever worst player or whatever in any given game. That's clearly also a disadvantage of the Ching and the Brownlow, but it's there to measure the best of the best, not to rate every player which our voting system is clearly trying, but failing to achieve.

To further reiterate the point, Picken was our 10th best player and got 85 votes across the 22 that he played. That means the average coach gave him an average of 0.77 votes per game. That means, given he would have scored 2's or 3's in more than one game, that something 60-70 of the opportunities to get votes from the 110 voting games, he would have gotten 0. If you're giving your 10th best player a 0, where there's five numbers that can be given, what is the actual point of that as a voting system?

Going off on a tangent here but I also wonder if any one of the 5 coaches tends to give higher-scoring games than the other 4, they can bias the results, given that their votes suddenly impact more than the other 4.

It seems so ridiculous that I have to open the possibility that the AFL.com.au reporting of how we vote seems a bit off. Maybe there's some sort of weighing involved to prioritise Beveridge's votes over the assistants? Maybe line coaches only vote for the players that they directly coach?

Last edited:
I've seen enough
These votes are insane
Suckling - god almighty

Congrats you are now melting at a faster rate than the Larson Ice Shelf.

I've seen enough
These votes are insane
Suckling - god almighty

It's going to be OK, mate. Chill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back