List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Just reading through these last few pages it looks like Scott Clayton went out today in only the way that you would expect him to.
By delivering us one last time a complete calamity.
How on earth can you judge a rookie draft a calamity 30 minutes after finishing?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Haiden schloithe wasn’t picked up
No, but Kelly and Ryan did. Schloithe's numbers only look good because he was left to do his own thing when the oppositions minder went to Kelly every game.
and Guelfi is gonna be something pretty special i think he played pretty much every position this year, whereever they had a problem he played. true utility.

Once again hopes drained but lets see how it turns out. But once again skinny prospect in an area where tbh we have quite alot of depth atm. I honestly dont understand the thinking of clayton and tbh good riddance.

I like holman (allthoigh question is is he better than hallahan or davis??) and great to see two locals get a crack.

But honestly. Is it really that hard to choose a player that was on peoples radar just once hahah

No, but Kelly and Ryan did. Schloithe's numbers only look good because he was left to do his own thing when the oppositions minder went to Kelly every game.
and Guelfi is gonna be something pretty special i think.
Pretty hard to win a Sandover being just ok

ruggles very unlucky and would love have given him a crack! Also wouldnt have minded mynot or parish. And i assume crameri said he didnt want to go interstate as cant comprehend why else we wouldnt gibe him a fre years to help tom out

nicks a great pick up. got told by carlton they would redraft him but got over looked which lit a fire to prove them wrong.

loves a fight to ha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crameri is rookie eligible and the preseason draft and rookie drafts have run at the same time for as long as I can remember.
You're not wrong, but neither am I. A club could have taken a recycled player such as Crameri in the preseason draft, it is just that nobody did. I also didn't say that the AFL suddenly lumped the PSD in with the Rookie Draft recently, although the PSD pre-dates the RD and some time in the transition they were put in the same timeslot. From memory the PSD was held as late as January.

Just watched a 5 mins highlight package of Holman - he goes as at least as hard as David Swallow, runs hard with intent (not overly fast), disposal is meh
Coming out of the juniors his kicking was the one big knock on him. I didn't see him much in the VFL but in the games he played for Carlton it was excellent, really precise. Didn't rack up much of the ball for Carlton whereas in the TAC cup he used to get a fair bit of it through hard running, he was coming along well though and shouldn't have been delisted.

That's the 2nd PBC I was talking about...(Late comer to the area.. but still PBC!!)

"Speedy".. can play!!
I have also heard Heron is very quick. So, 28.5% (12/42) of the list is now made up of Queenslanders:

1. Jarrod Harbrow (South Cairns)
2. Lachie Weller (Broadbeach/Southport)
3. Alex Sexton (Springwood)
4. Rory Thompson (Southport)
5. Jack Bowes (Cairns)
6. Jesse Joyce (Palm Beach Currumbin)
7. Brad Scheer (Palm Beach Currumbin)
8. Max Spencer (Palm Beach Currumbin)
9. Brayden Crossley (Burleigh/Palm Beach Currumbin)
10. Connor Nutting (Broadbeach)
11. Jacob Dawson (Palm Beach Currumbin)
12. Jacob Heron (Cairns/Palm Beach Currumbin)

Heron and Dawson are great inclusions for the club, which is in tune with generating a Club Culture that has its foundation in local talent. The Suns have essentially recruited 5 Academy players, including the Blue Chip investment in Weller, plus the clear choices of Crossley and Nutting as the year's best Academy players. It can't be stressed highly enough how important this is. Just take a look at how many Falcons players end up at Geelong and they only have Father/Son to augment that, having to go through the draft.
Looking at other sports, the Melbourne Storm and Queensland State of Origin teams have been based around Cooper Cronk, Cam Smith and Billy Slater, who all came up in the same year through the same feeder club. Manchester United were nothing special compared to Liverpool, but then they got lucky through local boys Nicky Butt, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, plus Gary and Phil Neville and went on to become the most successful club in the world. Ryan Giggs has won more trophies than any other footballer, despite his country of Wales never winning anything. A chunk of the San Francisco 49ers players in their 80s and 90s Super Bowls were from nearby Stanford, which also produced many of their successful coaches. The Ella brothers swept all before them in the early 80s, winning against opponents like no other Wallabies team ever had.
You can't make a club's culture, but you can continue to develop the conditions for the culture to grow. Even looking at Weller's case in point, you can see how the Club's efforts to grow the culture have paid off because this guy, whose family only came to the GC because his older brother was drafted there, actually wanted to come back to the club who nurtured him and couldn't hold onto him but paid overs to get him back because they said they would and STOOD BY THEIR WORD TO THE FUTURE CAPTAIN!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back