List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

If you listen to that interview it sounds like he is sticking around , talking about next years crop that we are going to pick up .

Any chance he is offered and accepts a demotion as I don't think we have yet to fill the Dom Ambrogio role as yet? He's 58 yo and could be looking to wind down...

Maybe he can identify young talent and let someone else manage the actual list and make final calls on who we draft.

So shall we say Weller needs to be as good as Paddy Dow :think:

I watched the JLT game and I thought Dow had a great game, and worthy of his #3 in the Draft......but c'mon lets be fair dinkum here...it was a pre-season game played at his familiar surroundings. He will need to show that consistently at home and away before this jury reaches a decision.
Whereas Weller has played 47 games and in his 4th year, and while not setting the world on fire so far, he has more than demonstrated his ability to perform all over the country, and hasn't missed a game in the last 2 seasons, and he's glad he's a SUN.
I for one, am glad he's on our list, and he won't want to go home in 2 years....we just can't get enough of that, especially someone who's able to stay on the park, and wants to be here....

Last edited:
I watched the JLT game and I thought Dow had a great game, and worthy of his #3 in the Draft......but c'mon lets be fair dinkum here...it was a pre-season game played at his familiar surroundings. He will need to show that consistently at home and away before this jury reaches a decision.
Whereas Weller has played 47 games and in his 4th year, and while not setting the world on fire so far, he has more than demonstrated his ability to perform all over the country, and hasn't missed a game in the last 2 seasons, and he's glad he's a SUN.
I for one, am glad he's on our list, and he won't want to go home in 2 years....we just can't get enough of that, especially someone who's able to stay on the park, and wants to be here....
Weller's value will be proven over time. Do you think Carlton fans sit around giving each other Dutch Rudders gloating about the Judd Trade? Or are West Coast fans are sitting smug knowing they gave up their GOAT for a 500 and counting goalkicker plus a 200 game midfielder? Seriously, don't buy in to the debate. Haters will still hate. For mine, Weller immediately improves the team without question.

An experienced player trumps a draft pick anyday. Draft picks are all about potential and yes weller still has an aura of potential about him we have seen in the last year his base and that is enough to me to suggest he'll be a 200 game plus player for the suns which is really the best we could hope for. You cant say that about dow, ldu or brayshaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could of had Dow and Weller if we didn’t blink. The point is not Wellers ability to improve the team it is the price
You don't know that for sure Iva. Freo were never trading him for less last year, and if he stayed then Weller might've chosen to go to Brisbane this year.

Dow looks good. But as TSG mentioned, he probably would have gone back in 3-4 years anyway. Every time he'd come out of contract it would be another media circus until he eventually left, to give us an early pick, and to start the wheel all over again.

And if we traded WC's 2018 first rounder then we miss out on a first rounder this year who could be just as good or better than Dow in a deeper draft. Swings and roundabouts. Lauchie will be a good player for us, on track for 200+ games at the moment. I can't wait to see him get out there.

You don't know that for sure Iva. Freo were never trading him for less last year, and if he stayed then Weller might've chosen to go to Brisbane this year.

Dow looks good. But as TSG mentioned, he probably would have gone back in 3-4 years anyway. Every time he'd come out of contract it would be another media circus until he eventually left, to give us an early pick, and to start the wheel all over again.
As you stated I don’t know if we could of had both but you don’t know that who ever we picked up would leave.
It was a shocking trade fail and that is evident by the reaction of the football world to the trade

As you stated I don’t know if we could of had both but you don’t know that whoever we picked up would leave.
It was a shocking trade fail and that is evident by the reaction of the football world to the trade
Because your first statement is true (and I agree that no one actually knows either way), your second statement can't be true... yet. It's all guesswork right now.

As you stated I don’t know if we could of had both but you don’t know that who ever we picked up would leave.
I think more to do with other players contract extension in future , eg lynch , Jack Martin ,swallow , ah chee etc.Short term GC paying over for Weller but long term nobody know .

Trading for Weller and being willing to pay overs was a signal of intent from the Suns. We are ready to do business now in the sure knowledge that the team is instantly better the next time we go out and play, not next year, not if we are winning, but right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Weller became the face of the Franchise once he's played some games and shown the brilliance that he's flashed at Freo. He's been brought in to help make up for the loss of Ablett, which nobody can do on their own, but together with the emerging 2nd, 3rd and 4th year players and the vet recruits from the past two trade periods.

I was initially disappointed with the Weller trade but i am now completely fine with it.
HE wanted to come here and HE wanted to play for us. We don't have the luxury of players, especially good young players wanting to come here very often.
Who says pick 2 whoever we took would stay for more then 2 years? Would they even be a good player? Weller will play at least another 150 games for us and at a high quality. Yes we payed overs but it is needed for us to get these sort of players in. We have a great young core of midfielders in Bowes, Brodie, Weller, Fiorini, Martin and Ainsworth to build with the next few years. Im happy we payed overs because we are guaranteed a player who will stay here

O’Cockface said he wanted to be a one club player too... just sayin’ ;)
I have greater faith it means more to Wil FWIW.

Wil is all about football, has good character and looks to come from a great family. I don't know anything about O'Meara's family but he looks to place other things above loyalty, is all about himself and speaks in half truths.

I heard in a recent interview that O'Meara caught up with Lynch recently and although didn't talk contracts said it would be great to have him at the Hawks. O'Meara needs to not talk about the Suns or his "mates" that he walked out on, and asking them to do the same.

Wil is all about football, has good character and looks to come from a great family. I don't know anything about O'Meara's family but he looks to place other things above loyalty, is all about himself and speaks in half truths.

I heard in a recent interview that O'Meara caught up with Lynch recently and although didn't talk contracts said it would be great to have him at the Hawks. O'Meara needs to not talk about the Suns or his "mates" that he walked out on, and asking them to do the same.
Definitely seems to be that way yes :thumbsu:
Now let's all just hope Wil turns into the player we all want him to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back