State of Origin 2017 NSW vs QLD SoO Discussion Thread - QLD win 2-1

Game 3 Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He's rubbish mate. He completely misread his tackle on Munster and then got in the way of the other player who could've actually tackled him in the break that lead to the game-deciding try by Holmes.
Try as he might, he's simply not up to origin level.
But he had 2 big plays! Just ask Gus

How many of those games has Pearce actually been good in during the 7 series? He goes missing way too much. I know he wasn't the sole reason for them losing the game/series but he literally does nothing when his team is down.

Has been historically shite, yes. Wasn't too bad this year though. We have no other options, and he's far from the worst of our worries. He's just an easy target.

He's rubbish mate. He completely misread his tackle on Munster and then got in the way of the other player who could've actually tackled him in the break that lead to the game-deciding try by Holmes.
Try as he might, he's simply not up to origin level.

Too much was left to too little. Some of Fafita and Woods' efforts were insipid. Ferguson was a liability at times. Dugan's try was fantastic, but some his knock-ons killed them. He's simply the best halfback we have, even if he isn't good enough at Origin level.

NSW have lost 11 of the last 12... what's your point?

Also worth noting that bloody Trent Hodkinson was halfback for the series they did win.
I think the reason Qld lost in 2014 is that Cronk broke his arm about 10 minutes in during game 1. He missed game 2. NSW win both games. Cronk comes back in game 3 Qld win.

I think the reason Qld lost in 2014 is that Cronk broke his arm about 10 minutes in during game 1. He missed game 2. NSW win both games. Cronk comes back in game 3 Qld win.

Probably. Queensland were pretty uninspiring in attack in both those games iirc (bugger me, that second game was boring). Was more so making a comment on the lack of options behind Pearce and the fact that he's far from NSW's biggest issue.

It's not their fault NSW continually fail. Pearce has played 7 Origin series and hasn't won one, but they keep picking him. Their forwards are way better than QLD on paper but they didn't turn up the last 3 halves of the series.

Queensland also have a winning mentality and have for over a decade now. Some of the best clutch players that's ever played the game in JT and Smith also helps.

See that to me is a myth.
Cordner and Fifita, and maybe Trbojevic - yeah they're outstanding forwards. Woods is a plonker, Jackson is just a worker ant, Frizzell has moments of impact but goes missing, Klemmer is starting to become the player he's been hyped up to be but for a long time he traded on the 'wow, he's dumb as dog s**t and looks angry so he must be tailor made for origin' thing etc.

In the Queensland side, you've had Cooper - Thurston's bodyguard for a decade and the most consistent Cowboys forward during their most successful period, Gillett and Maguire who never play a bad game between them, Napa who has been undeniably the hardest hitting prop in the game for the last season and a half, Papalii who at the very least is a Frizzell equivalent only he's been doing it for longer etc. now admittedly right now with Wallace and Glasby they've got two guys who haven't done as much as some of their Blues counterparts but in years gone by Scott was miles better than any NsW player, Myles has been elite for 12 years, Thaiday etc.

Maybe as metre eaters NSW has had a better pack at times in that period but you'd be hard pressed to mount any argument that they've had a better pack in general at any stage.

See that to me is a myth.
Cordner and Fifita, and maybe Trbojevic - yeah they're outstanding forwards. Woods is a plonker, Jackson is just a worker ant, Frizzell has moments of impact but goes missing, Klemmer is starting to become the player he's been hyped up to be but for a long time he traded on the 'wow, he's dumb as dog s**t and looks angry so he must be tailor made for origin' thing etc.

In the Queensland side, you've had Cooper - Thurston's bodyguard for a decade and the most consistent Cowboys forward during their most successful period, Gillett and Maguire who never play a bad game between them, Napa who has been undeniably the hardest hitting prop in the game for the last season and a half, Papalii who at the very least is a Frizzell equivalent only he's been doing it for longer etc. now admittedly right now with Wallace and Glasby they've got two guys who haven't done as much as some of their Blues counterparts but in years gone by Scott was miles better than any NsW player, Myles has been elite for 12 years, Thaiday etc.

Maybe as metre eaters NSW has had a better pack at times in that period but you'd be hard pressed to mount any argument that they've had a better pack in general at any stage.
Which is why I said they're better on paper.

Queensland don't have to have the most flashy forwards but they just do their job. Wallace and Napa were great tonight, in-fact all the Queensland forwards were great. Gillett was outstanding defensively and the best in the game at what he does IMO. Cooper was great and McGuire just did what he had to do.

The problem with NSW is when they're down on confidence it affects the whole team. Their forwards did a shocking job tonight and therefore it affected the impact the backs had on the game. Queensland bashed up Fifita in game two and they did the same tonight. Klemmer was their best forward, JTurbo was decent and the rest were shite. It was one of the worst performances by a forward pack I've seen in an Origin game for a long time.

Politics continues to get in the way of selection policy for NSW nothings really changed.

Anyway NSW should have wrapped the series up in game 2.

I don't know how Woods gets picked, he might be a big unit but he's lazy, spends most of his time walking, NSW look better when he's off the ground.
They're too big. Qld ran them off their legs. It was a great game plan by Kevvie. Who would've thought that Munster would be given that much room? Smith was a maestro as well. What you lose in smarts with JT injured was made up for with pace and that combination in the spine.

Hard to credit? Pearce has played 15 origins for 4 wins. His papers should be stamped. He's had the equivalent of 5 origin series to prove himself and he never has. He might be a good club halfback but that's where it ends.

Reynolds has more than just a good kicking game.
Can make that 18 origins for 5 wins.

Last night wasn't entirely his fault but enough is surely enough. He just does not have what it takes. Munster did better on debut than Mitch ffs.

I don't care what form he's in next season, just do not pick him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that combination in the spine.
It'll be interesting to see in coming years if the origin teams go for combinations from one team. Playing together week in, week out certainly gives an edge.

I really don't think Pearce was that bad last night and as mentioned who comes in for him?

Gotta say wearing my retro Qld jersey to a pub in sydneys east for the first time was a joy I wont soon forget.
A Reynolds.

But there's 10 months for someone else to come through. Hell, put Nathan Cleary in and blood him.

Not expecting many changes for Qld next year but this would be my blues side injuries pending

1. James Tedesco
2. Tom Trobjovic
3. Dylan Walker
4. James Roberts
5. Josh Dugan
6. Nathan Cleary
7. James Maloney
8. Andrew Fifita
9. Nathan Peats
10. David Klemmer
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Tyson Frizell
13. Jake Trobjovic

14. Jack Bird
15. Jack De Belin
16. Paul Vaughan
17. Wade Graham

Blood Cleary with Maloney next to him. get some Speed and strength in the backline.

Back