Prediction 2017 Round 1 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

for round 1-

Tom Cutler, Josh Walker, Darcy Gardner.
Ryan Harwood, Harris Andrews, Sam Mayes.

Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff.
Dayne Zorko, Daniel Rich, Rohan Bewick.

Mitch Robinson, Michael Close, Lewis Taylor.
Tom Bell, Eric Hipwood, Jake Barrett.

int- Nick Robertson, Daniel McStay, Ryan Lester, Ben Keays.

fantasy i know, but if everyone is available for selection-

Tom Cutler, Jack Frost, Darcy Gardner.
Ryan Harwood, Harris Andrews, Sam Mayes.

Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff.
Dayne Zorko, Daniel Rich, Allen Christensen.

Mitch Robinson, Eric Hipwood, Hugh McCluggage.
Michael Close, Josh Schache, Lewis Taylor.

int- Nick Robertson, Marco Paparone, Rhys Matheison, Rohan Bewick.

Interesting you've named Josh Walker at FB for the round 1 team. Presume it's because you'll lack a bigger bodied defender without Frost.

What's Walker's defensive capability like?

Interesting you've named Josh Walker at FB for the round 1 team. Presume it's because you'll lack a bigger bodied defender without Frost.

What's Walker's defensive capability like?
he played a couple of NEAFL trial games there and from reports he went pretty well, how that translates to AFL is another question. with Schache, Hipwood, Close and Freeman as KPF options Walker may be able to carve out a reasonable career as a KPD.

Warning: Long post incoming-

B Gardiner Andrews Harwood
HB Cutler Walker Robertson
C Bewick Rockliff Rich
HF Barrett Close Taylor
F Bell Hipwood Robinson
R Martin DBeams Zorko
I Lester Bastinac Mayes Cox
E McStay Keays Smith

If you look at the 25 players I've listed I think they are the only players in contention for a spot in the seniors with Matthew Hammelmann and Claye Beams probably the only other players on our list who'd be considered. Christensen, Schache, McCluggage, Mathieson, Paparone, Witherden and Skinner are all out injured. Jarrod Berry and Cian Hanley are only just returning to the reserves from injury. Frost is out suspended. I think our other new recruits in Lyons, Allison, Eagles, McInerney, Hinge and Grewar are all likely to play reserves particularly when you consider none of them except Allison played in the JLT series.

I can't see William getting a rookie upgrade just yet(Although I'd love to be proven wrong) so that rules him out as well. That leaves just 4 players: Dawson, Clayton, Jansen and Freeman. Dawson, Jansen and Clayton didn't participate in the JLT series and seem a fair way down the pecking order and I think Jono Freeman is below the likes of Hippy/Close/Shack.

I have placed Walker in our defensive unit as Hammelmann is not ready for senior level and would require an upgrade to be in consideration(Which could yet happen) and with Frost out suspended Walker is our only other option other than McStay who I don't think is ready to hold down a KPD post at this stage. He seemed a long way off the pace in the final JLT game after a long lay off and would benefit from a reserves game or two before coming back into the seniors. I'd like to give Walker a chance to see what he can do down there and I think we'll need his big body to help combat the twin towers of Lynch and Wright. I think we'll go in with one ruck with Smith as an emergency with Close/Walker options to pinch hit to provide Martin with relief.

I think guys like Bastinac and Taylor were disappointing in the JLT series but with Christensen, Mathieson and McCluggage all out injured they keep their spots for now. I've left Keays out because I think he needs some time in the reserves to play midfield time, rack up the footy and to build his confidence back up. I think both Keays and Barrett play very similar roles at senior level as defensive half forwards who can accumulate the footy and apply defensive pressure but are let down by their lack of pace and skills so I think we can only carry one in the side and I reckon Barrett has earned a spot.

I actually think we have a really good mix in our defensive 50 particularly if Walker is serviceable with Andrews and Walker taking the gorillas, Gardiner capable of playing on dangerous medium/small forwards and Harwood, Robertson and Cutler providing the run and carry out of the defensive 50. With Gardiner, Robertson and Harwood in our back 6 we have a bit of a hard edge in the defensive unit as well:thumbsu:

The final spot came down to Cedric Cox and Claye Beams and despite the fact that I think Cox is a fair way off being ready for consistent senior games I think there is merit in giving him a taste in Round 1 over CBeams. In the final JLT game I think he showed some glimpses playing off both the half back and half forward flank which are the two positions CBeams plays. Cox has far more upside than Beams does and I think we'd get more out of giving Cox a game over CBeams at this stage and I actually genuinely think Cedric Cox could contribute more than CBeams this weekend. His pace and skills are no doubt something our side needs and are something that the coaches will be enticed by.

To summarise when I first started putting this team together I had no intention of putting Cedric Cox in the side and I highly doubt he'll be named tomorrow, however, it wasn't until I actually did a bit of analysis and realised we only have 27 players who are legitimately in contention for the 22 spots up for grabs and I realised when it came down to a choice between Cox and CBeams that it'd be worth giving Cox a game.

B Gardiner Andrews Robertson
HB Cutler McStay Mayes
C Bewick Rockliff Rich
HF Lester Close Taylor
F Bell Hipwood Robinson
R Martin DBeams Zorko
I Barrett Bastinac Harwood Keays

A few things
1) I like the combo of Mayes, Bewick & Cutler to play the possession then rebound HB/wing roles. All start easily for me.
2) Robertson playing a tighter defender role on smalls
3) McStay plays down back and hopefully makes Frost earn his spot. This is his position for the future too imo
3) Keays I hope starts playing a rotation mid. Get him away from goals and let him accumulate
4) Barrett takes Keays 2016 forward pressure role
5) Basti, Taylor & Bell are lucky our depth is horrid
6) Rich to kick out when possible then push hard through the middle getting touches. No walking around the midfield for him please

B Gardiner Andrews Robertson
HB Cutler McStay Mayes
C Bewick Rockliff Rich
HF Lester Close Taylor
F Bell Hipwood Robinson
R Martin DBeams Zorko
I Barrett Bastinac Harwood Keays

A few things
1) I like the combo of Mayes, Bewick & Cutler to play the possession then rebound HB/wing roles. All start easily for me.
2) Robertson playing a tighter defender role on smalls
3) McStay plays down back and hopefully makes Frost earn his spot. This is his position for the future too imo
3) Keays I hope starts playing a rotation mid. Get him away from goals and let him accumulate
4) Barrett takes Keays 2016 forward pressure role
5) Basti, Taylor & Bell are lucky our depth is horrid
6) Rich to kick out when possible then push hard through the middle getting touches. No walking around the midfield for him please

Bell was one of our best in jlt 3, hardly think he's lucky to get a game.

Solid post otherwise.

Bell was one of our best in jlt 3, hardly think he's lucky to get a game.

Solid post otherwise.

I wasn overally impressed. But more so havent been impressed with him since he joined our club. I was hoping he would make a statement this off season...cant say he has done that. Still a bit of coasting with him for me

I wasn overally impressed. But more so havent been impressed with him since he joined our club. I was hoping he would make a statement this off season...cant say he has done that. Still a bit of coasting with him for me
Can not agree. Bell always goes hard, runs all day, kicks goals but is a shocking field kick. Has been hampered by a troublesome knee but gives his all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back