Play Nice 2018 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

I bet Bulldogs would have said the same thing at the end of 2016. They have tons of contested ball winners.
But like legit, you need someone.

Sydney have beasts and they slayed your team like meat going through a grinder. You were no match and did nothing to address this flaw in your list.

Yeah you can look at the draft but that player isn't in your age profile.

While Melbourne have players like Clayton Oliver, Jack Viney and Nathan Jones, Essendon have pretty boy Heppell and Zakarakis, you're no match for the other teams in the comp based on contested players.

Your spine is excellent and you've got a potential top 5 player in the comp - Danniher, but you don't have enough grit to really make a challenge next year. You need someone like a Luke Parker.

Haha! Richmond is like an electric tower, Essendon like two patatoes trying to generate electricity with some metal and copper.

Continue to overrate.

You'll be back, comfortable at 9th in 2018. It's okay, I know these waters have you all confused.
Just 5 more and you'll be up there with Essendon and Carlton mate.

But like legit, you need someone.

Sydney have beasts and they slayed your team like meat going through a grinder. You were no match and did nothing to address this flaw in your list.

Yeah you can look at the draft but that player isn't in your age profile.

While Melbourne have players like Clayton Oliver, Jack Viney and Nathan Jones, Essendon have pretty boy Heppell and Zakarakis, you're no match for the other teams in the comp based on contested players.

Your spine is excellent and you've got a potential top 5 player in the comp - Danniher, but you don't have enough grit to really make a challenge next year. You need someone like a Luke Parker.

We don't need to be equal in contested footy to other sides to beat them. We have other strengths. Do we need to improve in that area? Yes we do but we actually have a lot of young mids that will be between years 2-5 and we are backing them in to become key parts of our side.

I'm sure plenty of people have called Cotchin a pretty boy as well. An accumulator that does no damage and many things besides. I have no doubt Heppell can break those sorts of tags as well.

I also think people are not really correct when they refer to our weaknesses. We got smashed in the Sydney final true - but it was mostly our defensive actions that got exposed. In particular defending marking contests (we had tons of contested marks taken against us) and just generally not applying enough pressure. This will be the true test for how much we improve.

Sydney didn't actually win that many extra clearances or contested possessions. Its just they were able to do a lot more with them which was mostly because we didn't defend well enough.

Don't believe me? - Sydney only won the contested possessions 136 to 132. Clearances 39 to 35. However inside 50s were 54 to 32 and marks inside 50 were 19 to 5. Our issues are being misidentified by the group think that goes on.

In any case - I think people will be wrong to put too much stock in that one game. The players that had returned from 12 months off were not at their best by the time we hit finals. Hooker was out injured, Hurley had just returned from injury, Heppell was not even training towards the end of the season, Watson was barely making it through resting every 2nd week etc

We will go into 2018 as an improved side on paper and one without the disadvantage of having large numbers of players out from footy for 12 months and in some cases even longer.

We don't need to be equal in contested footy to other sides to beat them. We have other strengths. Do we need to improve in that area? Yes we do but we actually have a lot of young mids that will be between years 2-5 and we are backing them in to become key parts of our side.

I'm sure plenty of people have called Cotchin a pretty boy as well. An accumulator that does no damage and many things besides. I have no doubt Heppell can break those sorts of tags as well.

I also think people are not really correct when they refer to our weaknesses. We got smashed in the Sydney final true - but it was mostly our defensive actions that got exposed. In particular defending marking contests (we had tons of contested marks taken against us) and just generally not applying enough pressure. This will be the true test for how much we improve.

Sydney didn't actually win that many extra clearances or contested possessions. Its just they were able to do a lot more with them which was mostly because we didn't defend well enough.

Don't believe me? - Sydney only won the contested possessions 136 to 132. Clearances 39 to 35. However inside 50s were 54 to 32 and marks inside 50 were 19 to 5. Our issues are being misidentified by the group think that goes on.

In any case - I think people will be wrong to put too much stock in that one game. The players that had returned from 12 months off were not at their best by the time we hit finals. Hooker was out injured, Hurley had just returned from injury, Heppell was not even training towards the end of the season, Watson was barely making it through resting every 2nd week etc

We will go into 2018 as an improved side on paper and one without the disadvantage of having large numbers of players out from footy for 12 months and in some cases even longer.

Bombers have weaknesses (like every side) but have bought in some talent this year along side some pretty good players and a strong spine. If they innovate to their strengths then anything could happen. If the players and plan click then they could be top 4, if not then I at least can't see them going backwards from where they were. I wouldn't write them off

Wasnt it Woosha who developed the Eagle web or whatever the hell it was that got them into the 2015 Grand Final?? He could have something up his sleeves for Essendon that clicks with the talent on his list. I'll be looking forward to watching how they all play as a team

I'm looking forward to the dreamtime game this year. If we can bring our pressure and you guys get up and running it'll be a cracker to watch.
I get it with Cotch looks like he's real proud of his perfect leggo hair, but he's got a hard head mate and can go and get the ball.
There's two reasons why I don't think you'll win two finals next year.
It showed against Sydney..you guys played without hope or without that determination to not have to endure the feeling of a finals loss, cause you haven't had that real stinger of a loss and sitting around watching the Grannie thinking you should've been innit.
I reckon most premiers have had one you can go all the way back to the cats losing to nick Davis for examples.
It's not that you've got too many receivers but you don't have enough of those blokes that are like an irrepressible border collie dog that will go and get the ball all day.
The players that are at their best within a mtr of the ball.
And when your in that second final and the games there to be won or lost and you need players to refuse to accept the idea of losing I don't think you've got enuf mileage.
I am looking really forward to seeing how we play against you guys next year.

I imagine everyone will be making an upwards adjustment to their St Kilda placing in their prediction, now that we've picked up Logan Austin. :)
I already have

Dangerous territory to count chickens before they've hatched. Your players may have been disadvantaged by having a year off or mentally it could have refreshed them. A different result for each player I reckon.

Sides look for weaknesses and then exploit them. Essendon do need contested ball winners because if you don't have them, teams will adopt a sluggish, stoppage gameplan against the Bombers and wear them out.

Richmond won the premiership because virtually every team had to change their structures for our small forward line and it just killed them. We exploited teams for being too tall in defence.

Heppell and Zak's certainly can change their game style, but here's the difference with Cotchin. The way he played this year is how he played juniors. The way he plays now is his natural playing style and why he was initially drafted. You can't just magically start doing what he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Adelaide
2. Essendon
3. Port Adelaide
4. Richmond
5. GWS
6. Melbourne
7. Sydney
8. Geelong
9. Western Bulldogs
10. St Kilda
11. Hawthorn
12. Fremantle
13. West Coast
14. Carlton
15. Brisbane
16. Collingwood
17. Gold Coast
18. North

In the 8, Essendon and Port Adelaide to be the big improvers based on their trade period, while Geelong falls because I don't think the return of Ablett is enough to offset the loss of Mackie and Lonergan. Melbourne with the acquisition of Lever should finally make the 8, while West Coast might do better than I've predicted if Nic Nat is on fire when he returns, but I worry about their depth.

Outside the 8, I think this is the year both Carlton and Brisbane start to improve as their recent draftees mature, while Freo benefits from Wilson as well as Bennell finally being fit enough to play. Collingwood to fall since they did nothing to improve their forward line or their defence and I think this is the year they start giving games to kids. Bulldogs, St Kilda and Hawthorn will all be in the finals hunt but fall short.

My woefully inaccurate predictions, with some explanations where neccessary:

1. Sydney. Uber-consistent in minor rounds, no late start this time.
2. Adelaide. We will be consistent but not the most consistent.
3. GWS. Their customary place.
4. Geelong. Will Bradbury their way into the 4 and do nothing in finals again.
5. Richmond. Game plan gets found out.
6. Port. Okay side, no more.
7. Melbourne
8. Essendon

9. Bulldogs
10. St Kilda
11. West Coast
12. Hawthorn
13. Collingwood. As predictable as the sun rising in the east.
14. Gold Coast
15. Carlton
16. Fremantle
17. Brisbane
18. North. Seem bereft of any hope or rebuilding progress.

1. Crows
2. Swans
3. Power
4. Giants
5. Bombers
6. Tigers
7. Cats
8. Eagles
9. Dogs
10. Demons
11. Dockers
12. Saints
13. Lions
14. Hawks
15. Pies
16. Suns
17. Blues
18. Kangas

Showdown gf every victorians worst nightmare.
Why do interstate supporters think Victorians give a toot about all-interstate football? If you're the two best teams in 2018, Vics will be happy as hell that they see a high quality grand final.

1. Sydney Swans
2. Richmond
3. Adelaide
4. Port Adelaide
5. Melbourne
6. Essendon
7. Geelong
8. Fremantle
---------------------
9. Collingwood
10. Western Bulldogs
11. Hawthorn
12. GWS
13. Carlton
14. West Coast
15. St. Kilda
16. Brisbane Lions
17. North Melbourne
18. Gold Coast

1. Sydney
2. GWS
3. Richmond
4. Melbourne
5. Port Adelaide
6. Adelaide
7. Geelong
8. Hawthorn
9. Essendon
10. Bulldogs
11. Collingwood
12. West Coast
13. Fremantle
14. Carlton
15. Saints
16. Brisbane
17. Kangaroos
18. Gold Coast

Last edited:
Swans
Crows
GWS
Cats
Dees
Port
Tigers
Essendon
------------------
Bulldogs
Saints
Hawks
Pies
Eagles
Blues
Lions
Dockers
North
Suns

1. Richmond - Superb at the MCG, Fantastic interstate and 3 of the best in the comp, massive chance for b2b
2. Adelaide - will be still very talented and consistent
3. Sydney - always around the mark, need another flag from this group but I just can't see it
4. Geelong - The holy trinity will win games alone, defence suspect but playing at KP will ensure home wins
5. Melbourne - Big risers, talented list and will finally take the next step, lever will be brilliant
6. GWS - have the talent but lack the heart of the teams above them i.e. richmond
7. Port Adelaide - Have recruited well but can they beat the top teams? I'm not sure...
8. Collingwood - Collingwood simply don't miss the finals five years in a row, their midfield and likely easy fixture will fire them back into the finals

9. Western Bulldogs - Probably the hardest side to place, they really should be making the finals but if they carry their 2017 form I just can't see it
10. Carlton - Another big improver, this team has recruited and traded well. Was mostly competitive in 2017 and defeated some top teams, can see them becoming much more consistent and finally winning games. Will still struggle to kick high scores but be one of the best defensively
11. Hawthorn - Very hard to place, can't see them bouncing straight back into the 8 but cant see them falling, a plateau season for the Hawks
12. St Kilda - The loss of Riewoldt will hurt and they haven't made any major moves as of yet to improve the side, can see them stagnating
13. West Coast - There is little to be excited about when it comes to the Eagles, will begin a slide and rebuild quickly
14. Essendon - Shrewd trading has vastly increased the talent of the best 22. However, the midfield weakness will mean they struggle to control possession and can see them being ultimately uncompetitive. Another side hard to place
15. Brisbane - This team is on the right track and with the additions of Cameron and Hodge will become to turn their form into 4 points
16. Fremantle - Trade period winners are definitely will be rising soon, just not this season
17. North Melbourne - Gee they've dropped off, cupboard looking very bare. I fear for the long term viability of this club if they have a sustained period at the foot of the table.
18. Gold Coast - A basket case on and off the field. Just need to reset and start again, though another club that could soon be on the chopping block, must surely be envious of GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back