2024 Grand Final Predictions?

Remove this Banner Ad

On what we know right now, Giants vs Pies is probably the safest bet.

Melbourne are in shambles. Sydney & Port will f**k it up when it matters. Brisbane need top 2 or it's over for them.

The next batch is probably Saints, Carlton, Geelong, Adelaide, and maybe the Dogs.

All could do it without it being a shock, but all have huge question marks for one reason or another.

You wouldn't be shocked to see a St Kilda vs Adelaide grand final?

With the greatest of respect to both sides, I suspect everyone else would be shocked, as an understatement.

You wouldn't be shocked to see a St Kilda vs Adelaide grand final?

With the greatest of respect to both sides, I suspect everyone else would be shocked, as an understatement.
Not particularly, we've become accustomed to those sort or scenarios.

A finals team and a team that missed out via the ARC taking the next step wouldn't be shocking for mine. It wouldn't be my pick, but it wouldn't surprise either.

I know it's St Kilda, and we're predisposed to not expect anything...but their path ahead of them is pretty similar to a lot recent GF attendees in terms of the year prior, or a 2-3 year track record.

2022 - Swans
2021 - Dees, Dogs
2018 - Collingwood, West Coast
2017 - Richmond
2016 - Dogs

There's one or two clubs most years who make that leap from fringe finalist to a true contender

I have real confidence it will be a Melbourne v Collingwood Grand final. Melbourne were the best "out in straight sets" team, and really beat Collingwood in the inside 50 count in the QF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda v Collingwood GF.
Saints to come from behind strongly in the final quarter to win by 24 points.
Norm Smith: Cooper Sharman

From memory it is only Zorko and Neale that are actually over 30 from their best 10 players.

Given they get a free top 5 pick every year from F/S, they'll be able to cope with that for at least another 2-3 years.
From their best 22 players, they had 4 in their grand final, but 8 of their grand finalist players will be over 30, this year. I also think the grand final loss will affect them negatively.

From their best 22 players, they had 4 in their grand final, but 8 of their grand finalist players will be over 30, this year. I also think the grand final loss will affect them negatively.

Only 4 are currently over 30 and only two of them as top 10 players. Lester and Lyons (especially Lyons) won't make any difference.

Blokes that are 30 this year are going to drag them down, the contrary, those blokes are in their prime.

They might regress for some reason, but it won't be age this year.

Only 4 are currently over 30 and only two of them as top 10 players. Lester and Lyons (especially Lyons) won't make any difference.

Blokes that are 30 this year are going to drag them down, the contrary, those blokes are in their prime.

They might regress for some reason, but it won't be age this year.
Squads are made up of 22, though, not 10, and it will be 6 over 30 in just 2 days, not 4. It'd be a mix of age and their grand final appearance, happens all the time. Brisbane have been contenders for 5 seasons in a row, then they finally got to the Grand final near the last roll of the dice. Maybe had they missed out on it, it would have driven them like Geelong in 2021 with their very aged list in 2022, then fallen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back