List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d guess both, Weightman follow up and Bianco maybe a change of landscape including a trade.
I don't think we're trading down. Many draft-watchers rate Bianco higher than Pickett.

I expect if we pick Bergman/Weightman/Bianco with our first rounder, we look at an indigenous small forward with our second pick with a view of settling him in and getting him close to JUH next year. PG's comments earlier in the year offer some insight.

Where’s the article?

Western Bulldogs are zeroing in on teenage small forward Cody Weightman, who would complement spearheads Aaron Naughton and Josh Bruce in a potent attack next season.

Weightman toured Whitten Oval today and was interviewed by a panel of Bulldogs recruiters in a sign he is in the mix to be recruited at pick 13 in the national draft on Wednesday night.

List manager Sam Power and head recruiter Nick Austin introduced the 177cm goalkicker to football boss Chris Maple and the Dandenong Stingrays product then watched the club’s youngsters train.

Weightman wouldn’t exactly crumb at the feet of Naughton and Bruce, given he is an excellent overhead mark himself and plays in the mould of Collingwood’s Jamie Elliott.

Draft prospect Cody Weightman (right) is shown around the Whitten Oval by Western Bulldogs list manager Sam Power, national recruiting manager Nick Austin and football manager Chris Maple. Picture: Michael Klein

The lively prospect and Magpies supporter also models his game on Sydney’s Tom Papley and Brisbane’s Charlie Cameron.

Weightman’s nine goals for Vic Country this year earned him All-Australian honours. The Pakenham junior kicked two bags of four goals in the under-18 national championships, netting him 132 and 102 SuperCoach points in those games.

Weightman is one of the more popular players in the draft pool, with recruiters liking his charismatic personality.

The Bulldogs are actively hunting a speedy small forward, given premiership sharpshooter Tory Dickson, 32, is nearing the end of his career.

While Weightman is in the mix at the Bulldogs, they are still considering multiple players at pick 13.

Cody Weightman watches the Bulldogs train with the club’s recruiting staff. Picture: Michael Klein

Kysaiah Pickett (171cm) – who is the nephew of Norm Smith Medallist Byron Pickett – is another small forward in contention, while Miles Bergman is also around the mark.

The Bulldogs are admirers of defender Fischer McAsey, although he could be taken as early as Adelaide’s pick 6.

There is a chance Melbourne — which tabled Elliott a contract this year before he re-signed at the Pies — swoops on Weightman at pick 10 after moving on Jeff Garlett and Jay Kennedy-Harris.

Recruiters are completing their final interviews and it is not uncommon for prospects to tour several clubs on the eve of the draft.

Last year Ben King and Bailey Smith were invited to Whitten Oval in the days leading up to the draft, with the Bulldogs ultimately drafting Smith directly after Gold Coast selected King.

Weightman played school football with King at Haileybury last year and has also learnt from former teammates including Andrew Brayshaw (Fremantle) and Aiden Bonar (North Melbourne).

Weightman remains close friends with Richmond’s Jack Higgins, bonding when they trained under the same running coach seven years ago.

“We’re both similar heights, but we play pretty different styles,” Weightman said.

“He’s a much better small forward in the traditional way, whereas I like to play taller as a small forward.”

I don't think we're trading down. Many draft-watchers rate Bianco higher than Pickett.

I expect if we pick Bergman/Weightman/Bianco with our first rounder, we look at an indigenous small forward with our second pick with a view of settling him in and getting him close to JUH next year. PG's comments earlier in the year offer some insight.
Reckon PGs comments were made knowing we were pushing hard for AMT and Jack Martin, trying to make them feel that little bit more welcome

That being said, reckon we'd love a mature age indigenous option at 53, should a suitable candidate be available. Anyone reckon there may be such a candidate?

Reckon PGs comments were made knowing we were pushing hard for AMT and Jack Martin, trying to make them feel that little bit more welcome

That being said, reckon we'd love a mature age indigenous option at 53, should a suitable candidate be available. Anyone reckon there may be such a candidate?
Yeah I reckon we were pretty confident on Martin.

WA also seems to produce indigenous goal sneaks who are boom/bust types. Some take a couple of years longer to settle down into a routine that makes them draft worthy. A few names are floating around.

WA also seems to produce indigenous goal sneaks who are boom/bust types. Some take a couple of years longer to settle down into a routine that makes them draft worthy. A few names are floating around.

Tyrone Thorne is definitely an interesting one. Though if we draft Weightman or Pickett, I’d want someone who can play wing or a tall defender with our second pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tyrone Thorne is definitely an interesting one. Though if we draft Weightman or Pickett, I’d want someone who can play wing or a tall defender with our second pick.
If we pick up a small with our first I'd be keen on shute or butler for a wing or pasini ruscoe as taller options

Alternatively, we could just take whoever we reckon the best player is at each pick, figuring that our current list balance is not that horrible.
I have a list of players I believe will be best available. Putting a little bit of weight into positions of need (defense, wing, small forward) but at the same time if some one drops that is clear best available then all for grabbing him. The draft imo is equal between 15-25 then again from 26+ so its easier to go off positional needs then years passed

Any footage on Bergman? Does sound like he has all the attributes to be a really damaging winger which we could definitely use

yeah, there is one on afl website somewhere I think. Shows him taking some grabs basically. Not enough of his field kicking on show. I like his intensity.

I like Pickets video better, but maybe that just becaues its a better video.

Tell me more. Why do you favour him?

He's a big dude but still has pace on him. Great intercept marking, great leap, kept Ben King to one goal when playing on him. From a Draft Central post:

His form this season is arguably the best of any 19 year-old tall and that continued on the weekend against inexperienced rucks. He not only gets the hitouts, but follows up with clearances and tackles, and most importantly is able to take the game on without being a liability. He has a quick few steps and can sidestep opponents but does not overdo it, and uses hands to draw an opponent and handball clear to a teammate. Along with his above average athletic traits, Kelly was able to manhandle his opponent in the third term, throwing him out of the way, grabbing the loose ball and getting his hands free to pass to a teammate. His second efforts were exemplified in the final term when he dropped an intercept mark he should have taken, but quickly followed up cleaning it up and handballing quickly to a teammate.

If we don't get a tall with our first pick, which I'm pretty sure we won't, I think he'd be a good use of our pick in the 50s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back