2019 - The Smokies

Remove this Banner Ad

VSTone

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 17, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Smokies, we all have them and hope that they go under the radar until you've got the jump on the pack. But as always they come into the light with a bunch of glowing training reports or some super work in the JLT lead ups? Lay claim to unearthing the hidden gems for the season ahead.

Worpel is now on everyone's radar. Jordan Dawson (Swans) is my long shot bolter for the season ahead. Who is yours?

Jack Higgins from my lot, Fwd but slotted for more mid time, had highest ever scores in TAC, takes a mark, tackles and loves a snag. Scores better in SC at mo.

Jack Higgins from my lot, Fwd but slotted for more mid time, had highest ever scores in TAC, takes a mark, tackles and loves a snag. Scores better in SC at mo.
I think with Conca leaving Higgins will slot into that near permanent midfield role, he'll still rotate up forward (like many midfielders) but I'l be really watching him throughout the pre-season.

Due to his mature body and the uniqueness around his junior career I'm not as worried about second year woes. Normally I wouldn't go anywhere near a second year player, he is a real smokey though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brandan Parfitt. Almost a certainty to gain a lot of midfield time this year, given the exodus of fringe players and a focus on gaining forward line players like Dahlhaus and Rohan. Have him locked in for a big year in Geelong's midfield (but in my forward line, haha).

The other one is Taranto. Had a big year last year, but think he could take it to an elite level this year, given his talent, tackling ability and increased midfield time. Has been picked as the player to replace Shiel, so there is a full-time mid spot for him.

Last edited:
Like the players mentioned in

Taranto - Hes the next underpriced Premo on my list of midfielders if i can fit him in or an injury occurs to another

Parfitt - If structure suits and i see the wing role proposed then hes a good chance. Still feel Geelong have too many ie: Dangerfield, J.Selwood, Duncan, Kelly, Parfitt, Ablett, Dahlhaus, Parfitt, S.Selwood, Menegola ect

Well for me its Jack Redden. Only mines not really speculating on what I think could happen because of this and that. Its based on actual game scores from 2018

Well for me its Jack Redden. Only mines not really speculating on what I think could happen because of this and that. Its based on actual game scores from 2018

Averaged 108 outside of those first 4 games before he broke into the midfield

Luke Ryan for me, reckon he could be big. i dont have the balls though as too awkwardly priced but will watch early
Ryan is an easy one. When we play well, he scores well. When we play poorly he scores poorly.

So if you think Freo will be more competitive this year, then picking him makes sense.

Rory lobb. Heard he is plunking everything down there atm. Could be a good stepping stone? With sandi's injury history it wouldnt suprise me to see lobb playing a lot of games as sole ruck

I think Berry will have a breakout year but probably not enough to warrant picking him in those valuable midfield spots

Its a ballsy pick. Could come off but when you have b. Crouch 40k cheaper and the mid price trio in libba, hanners & miles all over 100k cheaper it makes it hard.

Another smokey is tom rockliff. Priced at 600k which is an average of 80! I do think he was carrying something last year for a fair chunk of the season. Can see him go around the 95 mark which would be a nice stepping stone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back