2019 World Cup - Who should Australia select?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the XI I'd choose right now, which i know will get panned (and probably rightly so):

Warner
Lynn
Carey
Smith
Finch
Stoinis
Maxwell
Marsh
Agar
Starc
Tye

This team definitely needs another bowler imo....could see this lineup giving up way too many runs. Feels short of another strike bowler....Starc would have to bowl out of his skin.

Batting lineup obviously looks strong but would keep Finch as an opener as i don't think he's done much wrong lately. Maxwell & Marsh almost seem like a bit of a waste at 7 & 8 too.
But don't mind your thinking going with batting depth...

This is the XI I'd choose right now, which i know will get panned (and probably rightly so):

Warner
Lynn
Carey
Smith
Finch
Stoinis
Maxwell
Marsh
Agar
Starc
Tye
Agar, Marsh and Lynn out.
Lyon, Hazlewood and Head in.

Warner
Finch
Head
Smith
Stoinis
Maxwell
Carey
Starc
Hazlewood
Tye
Lyon

Quality rebuttal.

Lynn is one of the most overrated players in Australia. Head is objectively better
Hazlewood has a good ODI record in England.
Lyon is more economical than Agar and Zampa, something we need to worry about given Zampa’s propensity to leak at least a run each ball whilst the oppo take no risks.

Now do you want to actually make a claim Mark or continue to sit in the peanut gallery and not be taken seriously?

Which makes it even more laughable that they’re still yet to win a World Cup. Recruiting talent from all over the globe yet still utter s**t.

If we're talking comments from the peanut gallery this is what I'd be referring to.

No reply from Kram well colour me shocked. I guess the cats got his tongue now that he actually has to form an argument on something and can’t regurgitate the words Pastings, Quiney9 or McGain...

Nice deflection son. Feel free to make a case any time soon.
Leaving out M.Marsh was just so predictable, you are comfortably one of the most biased and immature posters on here and the king of the state partisan rubbish. This is why you have very little credibility.

Leaving out M.Marsh was just so predictable, you are comfortably one of the most biased and immature posters on here and the king of the state partisan rubbish. This is why you have very little credibility.
He was batting at 8 in the side I referred to. Well sorry but Hazlewood is a better option as a frontline paceman and Maxwell, Stoinis and Head are objectively better batsmen and provide the power hitting required from a modern day middle order to get those 300+ scores. Unless you drop the keeper and give Davey the gloves then there’s no spot inside the top 7 as Finch, Smith and Warner aren’t getting dropped either.

I mean * I’m still not even satisfied with my side but that’s because this country doesn’t seem to presently have a stand out death bowler unless Starc is getting swing late in the innings.

He was batting at 8 in the side I referred to. Well sorry but Hazlewood is a better option as a frontline paceman and Maxwell, Stoinis and Head are objectively better batsmen and provide the power hitting required from a modern day middle order to get those 300+ scores. Unless you drop the keeper and give Davey the gloves then there’s no spot inside the top 7 as Finch, Smith and Warner aren’t getting dropped either.

I mean **** I’m still not even satisfied with my side but that’s because this country doesn’t seem to presently have a stand out death bowler unless Starc is getting swing late in the innings.

I'd argue Marsh should be in over Head.

Head's been fairly mediocre with the bat in the middle order (and a success opening but Finch and Warner are ahead of him there) and with Lyon in the side we wouldn't need his bowling at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd argue Marsh should be in over Head.

Head's been fairly mediocre with the bat in the middle order (and a success opening but Finch and Warner are ahead of him there) and with Lyon in the side we wouldn't need his bowling at all.
His most frequented position has been no5 which is where he's done best so far. He only has 1 innings at 3 and I like Head and Smith for those middle overs and then Stoinis, Maxwell and the keeper to bludgeon the ball later. My actual preference based on it being in England is to play Bailey but they won't do that.

I'm not sold on Tye yet but can't see a standout death bowler not in the team so we'll see on that one.

My Squad would be (as of March 9, 2018):

1. Steve Smith (C)
2. David Warner
3. Aaron Finch
4. D'Arcy Short (can bowl a bit of left arm chinaman as well)
5. Glenn Maxwell
6. Marcus Stoinis
7. Mitch Marsh
8. Peter Handscomb (primarily as a backup keeper)
9. Alex Carey (WK)
10. Nathan Coulter-Nile (if fit)/Jason Behrendorff
11. Mitchell Starc
12. Pat Cummins
13. AJ Tye
14. Josh Hazlewood
15. Mitch Swepson

Why didn't I consider:
Travis Head: I know he's rated highly, and his batting is reliable, but compared to Maxy, he doesn't bowl nearly as well, and doesn't even rate when it comes to fielding.

James Pattinson: The forgotten man of cricket can't stay healthy.. He's the Richard Hadley (AFL) of the Aussie team.

Chadd Sayers: Because his List A numbers are rubbish, that being said, he could be a smoky for the Ashes.

Why I chose:
D'Arcy Short: Ahead of Chris Lynn, fitness aside, I've been on BF for about 13 hours, he has a fanboy on here who is totally irritating.. But more to the point, he bowls left arm chinamens, as I noted and with a bit of work with Brad Hogg, he could develop into a batting all rounder. Also, Aaron Finch has proven he can bat at 5 in T20s, like he does in first class cricket, and personally, I think he's better suited in the middle order. We should try the Kaluwitharana/Jayasuriya combo with Warner and Short, despite the latter both being left handed.

Mitch Swepson over any other leg spinner: I'm not saying he'd play, but a trip to England, and learning to bowl on their wickets in the lead up matches could be beneficial to the Australian team.

AJ Tye over Jhye Richardson: AJ's change ups on English wickets, pretty much explains itself.

Handscomb over Wade/Paine: Unless Wade is considered as a keeper/batsman, who can bowl, ala Tim Zoehrer in the 1993 Ashes, Handscomb has actually played in English conditions and will be 27 (or thereabouts) by the time the World Cup rolls around.

Could be Mitch Marsh. The team is all over the shop, so I can't really see anyone else who is a first 11 pick who will probably stay as a first 11 pick till Smith gets back.

I hope not Head!

Khawaja could do it if they'd bloody well pick him.

Who opens with Finch (the only legitimate captaincy option)?
May need to be Carey. Think our best side is something like:

Carey (+)
Finch (c)
Smith
Head
Maxwell
Stoinis
Marsh
3 of Starc/Hazlewood/Tye/NCN/insert other quick here
Agar/Lyon

I'd lean towards Agar due to batting and a couple of offies in the top order. Dunno who the reserve bats will be.

May need to be Carey. Think our best side is something like:

Carey (+)
Finch (c)
Smith
Head
Maxwell
Stoinis
Marsh
3 of Starc/Hazlewood/Tye/NCN/insert other quick here
Agar/Lyon

I'd lean towards Agar due to batting and a couple of offies in the top order. Dunno who the reserve bats will be.

Can't compare a wicket-taking offie with part-timers. Other than that, the side looks ok, dodgy in the middle order but then other than Finch or Smith everyone looks dodgy to me.

Can't compare a wicket-taking offie with part-timers. Other than that, the side looks ok, dodgy in the middle order but then other than Finch or Smith everyone looks dodgy to me.
Maxy, Stoinis and Marsh have been good in their history. But yeah, not a great side.

Who opens with Finch (the only legitimate captaincy option)?
now probably isn’t the time to trial it, but given the way he’s been batting recently I’d be interested in seeing what Mitch Marsh could do

now probably isn’t the time to trial it, but given the way he’s been batting recently I’d be interested in seeing what Mitch Marsh could do
I'd suggest Stoinis ahead of MM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back