Review 2022 Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

As not much of a VFL expert, Id much rather trust recruitment teams from multiple professional afl clubs over bigfooty experts.

Welcome Kallan!

How about someone at least that can come in and cover for some of our injured players what is it 26 fit players?

I doubt the $85k is gonna be make or break and we have 1 pick in the top 50-60 this year man. Keeping our list light makes sense if we had a modicum of draft capital.

I've got no doubt we'll put together a better draft package than that (whether trading back in or PP) but we'll still have to draft three in the ND (including Harvey) and a lot of the guaranteed outs are rookie list. I get why they didn't bother punting for the hell of it.

I've got no doubt we'll put together a better draft package than that (whether trading back in or PP) but we'll still have to draft three in the ND (including Harvey) and a lot of the guaranteed outs are rookie list. I get why they didn't bother punting for the hell of it.
The 3 can include elevated rookies so could be pick 2, Harvey, J.Edwards.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think the Dawson pick is getting a bad wrap.

Actually moves pretty well for someone his size and from playing b grade ammos last year id suggest he still has improvement in him.
Definitely something there to work with and happy to back him in. Would have loved El Nour, but he wasn’t picked by anyone, which speaks volumes.

I think the issue with Massimo was clearly the sheer volume of similar type players we have on the list.
The key difference obviously is his ball use, however, it almost means you don’t have any faith in recently drafted Goater or Bergman, aswell as either Atu, Young, P Walker, Hayden, Bonnar, Lazzaro, Perez, Scott who all play a similar role.

They cannot all play and we are already too stacked in this position… I guess they have faith in either Bergman or Goater being the long term distributor type off half back?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No point paying someone we don't rate. Rookie wage still comes from the cap. Could go to a contract resigning or better recruit.Soft cap reductions also means coaches have less time to spend with players. Wasted time spent on developing a player we don't think will make it.
A reminder too that Newcombe is basically the only player to show anything so far from last year's draft. These are the dregs of the dregs.
That is correct however drafting extra players in as rookies and having a large injury lists hurts our soft cap so it does have a flow on effect.

North Melbourne​

Pick 2: Kallan Dawson (Williamstown, 195cm, defender)

Pick 17: Pass

Cherny: North conducted a much-publicised members question and answer forum last week at which football boss Brady Rawlings flagged the likelihood of them looking at a mature key defender and small forward at the mid-season draft. Dawson soon emerged as that defender and given the shortage of tall backs on their list he should play relatively soon. The second spot was opened on Tuesday with the retirement of Tom Lynch, but it appears the Roos were beaten to the punch when Geelong nabbed Zane Williams.

Amy: With Charlie Dean ahead of him, the 196cm Dawson was unable to get a senior game for Willy last year, instead having to get his kicks in the amateurs with Williamstown CYMS. Opportunity came to him this season and he’s seized it.

Seagulls coach Justin Plapp said Dawson, a fifth-year VFL player, was “untapped’’. “He’s one of the most athletic and powerful key defenders I think we’ve seen in the VFL in the past four or five years,’’ he said.

“When you talk about prototype and upside, he’s a very exciting prospect. He’s an intercept defender, fantastic in the air. He’ll come in and either mark it or kill it.’’

Depending on our injury woes we might not take more than 1 player if it means costs will blow out.
Our soft cap is maxed out and with us having Cunnington, Hall, Phillips, Polec injured long term we can’t afford to go into the red.
Won’t be surprised if we take 1 and that’s it.
Called it

Here's a serious question. Carlton pick up Sam Durdin (26 next week), who by all reports could slot straight into their backline. Former first round draft pick. We pick up Dawson who at age 24 couldn't get a VFL game a couple of years back. What happens if Durdin goes onto play 100 games for the Carlton, and we end up with a speculative pick in Dawson who plays a game or two, and proves to be just VFL standard???? Thats a distinct possibility, it would make our club a complete laughing stock and somebody would need to put their hand up and take responsiblity. Or is Luff used as a scape goat? While only a MSD there is a fair bit at stake in terms of credibility. If nothing else Dawson needs to come in, and play every game after the bye otherwise complete waste of a pick.

I rated Durdin in his draft year and was surprised that he wasn't being played more and then delisted. I know he had a finger injury start of 2019, but were there other injury concerns?

On Dawson, the club might see that he still has more upside, hopefully he gets some game time this year

I rated Durdin in his draft year and was surprised that he wasn't being played more and then delisted. I know he had a finger injury start of 2019, but were there other injury concerns?

On Dawson, the club might see that he still has more upside, hopefully he gets some game time this year
To be honest he didn't really show much. He just sort of loped around, he didn't display any attributes that suggested he'd be a very good player - even at VFL level. In hindsight he should've been kept and given more games purely because of our list profile and to see if he could fulfil that first round pick potential. But to be honest getting delisted may have been the kick in the arse he needed because from the sounds he's produced more at state level now than what he did playing VFL for us

I think the issue with Massimo was clearly the sheer volume of similar type players we have on the list.
The key difference obviously is his ball use, however, it almost means you don’t have any faith in recently drafted Goater or Bergman, aswell as either Atu, Young, P Walker, Hayden, Bonnar, Lazzaro, Perez, Scott who all play a similar role.

They cannot all play and we are already too stacked in this position… I guess they have faith in either Bergman or Goater being the long term distributor type off half back?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Massimo's one VFL game is better than any that those have out together except maybe Ronnie and Scott.

This is the issue with the way we've gone about this rebuild. We're cornering ourselves into needs first out of sheer desperation.

I also think given we have zero drive from the back half since Hall got injured that all of the above you mentioned should absolutely have question marks over their future at AFL level. Although some of those play a different role to what D'Ambrosio will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back