Review 2022 Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, I can understand the pick of Dawson, he looks like he has all of the physical attributes you look for in a KPD, even if his disposal is below average. It also seems like he's developed rapidly since coming up into the vfl this year, so there appears to be some upside.

What I don't get is passing on El Nour. It fell in our lap to have a free hit at another young KPD with the tools to be a very good player. Why not give him a chance?

The worrying thing is that Amarfio said they had a list of 5-6 players presented to the board a couple of weeks ago. That seems like nowhere near enough, and my fear is that the recruiters identify a few favorites early and then get tunnel vision (admittedly that happens a lot on here as well though). Hopefully we get some new talent in the door soon, as it would only get worse if we just have Brady and Clayton moving forward.

The general consensus was he‘s no good.

For every North supporter moaning about passing on D’Ambrosio, there’s an * supporter on social media complaining about selecting him…” geez, a midget half back….”
Not just one, two of them.

North Melbourne​

Pick 2: Kallan Dawson (Williamstown, 195cm, defender)

Seagulls coach Justin Plapp said Dawson, a fifth-year VFL player, was “untapped’’. “He’s one of the most athletic and powerful key defenders I think we’ve seen in the VFL in the past four or five years,’’ he said.

“When you talk about prototype and upside, he’s a very exciting prospect. He’s an intercept defender, fantastic in the air. He’ll come in and either mark it or kill it.’’

I like the sound of this. The bloke faced adversity and has seized his opportunity since. IF he can kick on from here as we all hope, we could well have ourselves a mature bodied defender to assist Corr and McKay who’s on the up rather than the opposite.

Good luck to the bloke!

So we won the draft again?
dodoro GIF by AFL

For every North supporter moaning about passing on D’Ambrosio, there’s an * supporter on social media complaining about selecting him…” geez, a midget half back….”

A midget half back?

That sounds like their last no.1 draft pick, Andy McGrath.

With the year we are having you just know that Durds is going to get a chance at Carlton and show more than he ever did with us.

Good luck to the bloke. I hope he makes it.

I also guarantee is he does the media will use it as another example of poor list management from us.

If this club was burnt by Ham last year why participate in this years MSD then?
You can’t tell there is a mature key back or key forward from either the VFL,SANFL or WASFL that didn’t get selected still out there.
I think our Chair Women needs to come out like the president of Essendon and call for complete audit of everything at this club as a club you don’t get to many opportunities like this to pick up a diamond in a rough type of player yet alone 2 players.
If this club thinks it’s doing ok well got news for you were not we as a club need to start winning games to lift the morale of everyone within the walls of the NMFC and it’s supporters as we like everyone else are struggling as well .
So with that if Brady Rawlings says it my club well yes it is just like it’s Brent Harvey club Keith Greig club The Dugdale’s club The Dwyer’s club and every supporter and members club.
It’s like this how can I put it with not upsetting people it’s like having Terminal Cancer and you have a gun next to you do you put in your mouth and go bang or do you decide to fight it and fight it and fight it until the last breath you take.
To quote a line by Micky in Rocky 5
People Die in life because they don’t want to live anymore as they see everyone in life disappearing and take the attitude why the hell am for .
This currently applies to this club as I think they have giving up and all I can say is start giving a fu(king 💩 and don’t treat the supporters like fuc(ing idiots as without supporters who love this club you might as well hand this club licence to play in the AFL back to the AFL and let the Hutchinson’s Wilson’s and McGuire’s win.
Start caring please for the club for it’s history current and ex players and it’s supporters and not some spin doctor Hawaiian BS artist who is only it to keep himself reverent and to keep the $$$ rolling in .
I don’t want our club to do anything like *

With the year we are having you just know that Durds is going to get a chance at Carlton and show more than he ever did with us.

I also guarantee is he does the media will use it as another example of poor list management from us.
And rightly so.

Was just listening as I was hanging out the washing but had to stop ten minutes in. It’s just too negative for me right now. I get that it’s hard to run a podcast about a s**t club, but right now North Talk is a big downer. I’ll tune back in when we’ve had a win perhaps.

*edit: Club playing s**t. Not a s**t club.
Episode for indigenous round was very good.

Outside of that, it has been moaning all season. And the "mail" that the wrong people left in the previous episode was horrendous.

When the bloke who chooses to leave of his own accord, cries to everyone around him, don't pass his information as gospel to everyone who is listening.

It's a high performance environment where tough conversations need to be had and people need to be able to challenge each other. Crying about a lack of support in this case looks more like not being able to handle difficult conversations. In this case, be the input guy with the stats, not the manager of a department.

You know what it looks like when people aren't challenged? See list management under Joyce and Scott.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally thought he was never allowed to settle and get a decent run at it. They’d throw him forward, pinch hit in the ruck, when clearly his best junior footy was in defence and at the time he was competing with Thompson, Tarrant, Maj, and earlier on Grima and Hansen.
He had a stretch of games in the back end of 2019 where he looked assured and settled IMO. Rolls into 2020 and he's out of the side and delisted after the hub shitshow.

Apprentice sparks up at offer of Kangaroos spot

Chris Cavanagh
A SECOND-year apprentice electrician is hopeful he can provide North Melbourne with a spark in the second half of the season after making the switch from Williamstown’s VFL side.

Kallan Dawson has been plying his trade on the VFL circuit since 2018 but bolted up the AFL mid-season draft order to be selected by the Kangaroos with pick No 2 on Wednesday night.

The 196cm intercept defender was playing for his local B-Grade VAFA club Williamstown CYMS last year, unable to crack a spot in a rock-solid VFL defence.

However, Collingwood’s selection of fellow Williamstown key defender Charlie Dean in last year’s rookie draft opened up a spot at the Seagulls, which Dawson took with both hands.

“I was just playing local footy last year, so I wasn’t really thinking about the AFL too much and then it all came out of nowhere the last couple of weeks,” Dawson told the Herald Sun.

“I was still trying to get to the AFL, but I was more just trying to get a VFL game last year. I missed the first three games due to a groin injury and I didn’t break in after that.

“So I was more just focused on playing down at Willy.

Then this year I strung a few games together and now North has picked me up.

“I’m pretty overwhelmed, but I’m super-pumped.”

The 23-year-old has averaged 12.5 disposals, 6.6 marks, 5.5 intercept possessions and six spoils across eight VFL games this year and has played on AFL-listed opponents including Gold Coast’s Joel Jeffrey and Western Bulldogs livewire Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

“I feel like the more I’ve played at the level, the more I’ve grown in confidence,”

Dawson said. “I’ve definitely improved a fair bit this year.”

Dawson rolled his ankle in last weekend’s loss to Footscray, but is hopeful of putting his hand up to play some senior football for the struggling Kangaroos in coming weeks.

“Hopefully I can have an impact this year,” he said.

“I’ll be out for a couple of weeks, but then hopefully after that I’ll be playing some footy for North.”

Dawson’s day job will be unplugged for now, but it is an outlet he will look to return to down the track.

Check out Carlton board. Not one negative comment re Durdin. We should follow their lead and stop moaning.
If the Sam Durdin that played for North Melbourne shows up, they will be moaning very quickly.

Time has served Durdin very well, because if you go back and watch what he produced at both AFL and VFL level, then his delisting wasn’t unexpected.

He may have improved since he left, but at the time the right decision was made.

Obviously we were burnt by the Ham experience last year.

But to think a team like ours, with holes on every line and absolutely no depth, that we couldn't find a second player that could potentially improve us this year - that could at least play a few games of VFL and put pressure on our band of under achievers?
I'm not convinced that last year's MSD influenced this year at all.

Unfortunately for Charlie, and us, he wasn't the most professional of AFL footballers and was often late for training, nothing extreme but he was told he needed to be punctual but that didn't improve.

I'm very disappointed that we didn't take anyone with our second pick, seems like a no brainer. Worst case scenario they are on our list for half a season best case scenario they are a regular best 22.

If the Sam Durdin that played for North Melbourne shows up, they will be moaning very quickly.

Time has served Durdin very well, because if you go back and watch what he produced at both AFL and VFL level, then his delisting wasn’t unexpected.

He may have improved since he left, but at the time the right decision was made.
Might‘ve just been the kick up the backside he needed to get the best out of himself too..
wouldnt be the first or last...
all the best Durdin .

Last edited:

Brian Taylor is going to have an aneurysm trying to reconcile that Sam Durdin and Corey Durdin are two different people.

So I’m applauding the shrewd move of hiring lynch as a development coach + player to fill a spot for emergencies one moment, who retires so we get another pick at the MSD, and then we pass…. This club is really confusing.

I don’t know who the bloke we picked is, whatever he’s a defender. I don’t put much stock in the mid-season draft because it’s a spud market of which Carlton probably one by picking up at least an AFL proven spud in Durdin who’s at least capable as a depth defender.

Other than that, whatever. Continue to confuse us North, working out great so far what do we know right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back