Review 2022 Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously we were burnt by the Ham experience last year.

But to think a team like ours, with holes on every line and absolutely no depth, that we couldn't find a second player that could potentially improve us this year - that could at least play a few games of VFL and put pressure on our band of under achievers?
If this club was burnt by Ham last year why participate in this years MSD then?
You can’t tell there is a mature key back or key forward from either the VFL,SANFL or WASFL that didn’t get selected still out there.
I think our Chair Women needs to come out like the president of Essendon and call for complete audit of everything at this club as a club you don’t get to many opportunities like this to pick up a diamond in a rough type of player yet alone 2 players.
If this club thinks it’s doing ok well got news for you were not we as a club need to start winning games to lift the morale of everyone within the walls of the NMFC and it’s supporters as we like everyone else are struggling as well .
So with that if Brady Rawlings says it my club well yes it is just like it’s Brent Harvey club Keith Greig club The Dugdale’s club The Dwyer’s club and every supporter and members club.
It’s like this how can I put it with not upsetting people it’s like having Terminal Cancer and you have a gun next to you do you put in your mouth and go bang or do you decide to fight it and fight it and fight it until the last breath you take.
To quote a line by Micky in Rocky 5
People Die in life because they don’t want to live anymore as they see everyone in life disappearing and take the attitude why the hell am for .
This currently applies to this club as I think they have giving up and all I can say is start giving a fu(king 💩 and don’t treat the supporters like fuc(ing idiots as without supporters who love this club you might as well hand this club licence to play in the AFL back to the AFL and let the Hutchinson’s Wilson’s and McGuire’s win.
Start caring please for the club for it’s history current and ex players and it’s supporters and not some spin doctor Hawaiian BS artist who is only it to keep himself reverent and to keep the $$$ rolling in .

Think the Dawson pick is getting a bad wrap.

Actually moves pretty well for someone his size and from playing b grade ammos last year id suggest he still has improvement in him.
I like his athletic profile. We need to be realistic though he simply doesn't weigh enough to take the big boys. Can't see him displacing Josh Walker and seems more in competition with Corr.

Scroll down to Durdin's interview - "get back to enjoying footy and working on what makes me a good footy player"

It interesting to hear that from a mature player. He was one of the stiffest to cop it during our purge, we invested so much in him for years. I hope he makes it now. With Weitering going down, he could be playing finals.

I rated Durdin in his draft year and was surprised that he wasn't being played more and then delisted. I know he had a finger injury start of 2019, but were there other injury concerns?

On Dawson, the club might see that he still has more upside, hopefully he gets some game time this year
Mostly lacked intensity at his time at north. Lovely kick and could intercept, but some of his one-on-one work was hit and miss. His SANFL games last year were very good.

Have you seen our ladder position?

Nah I’d rather trust the BF experts
A few more AFL clubs wanted him too. So yes, I think id much rather trust them over bigfooty experts.

If he's injured so what? By all reports it's only a rolled ankle, so given he only has a full day to train, tour the club etc etc I think its highly unlikely he'd be playing Saturday anyway.

Scroll down to Durdin's interview - "get back to enjoying footy and working on what makes me a good footy player"

It interesting to hear that from a mature player. He was one of the stiffest to cop it during our purge, we invested so much in him for years. I hope he makes it now. With Weitering going down, he could be playing finals.
At his best Durdin leaps and takes contested grabs. These types of blokes suffer the most when their confidence is down, when they feel taken away from their strengths, and if they're not enjoying footy or in a good environment. Hope he kicks on at the Blues.

All these professional recruiters from 18 clubs clearly not as smart as the state league experts on this forum.
Plenty of those recruiters and scouts get it wrong as well. It’s not an exact science that’s for sure.

Any players apart from El Nour that people would of gone for with our 2nd pick?

Personally, I would’ve been happy if we took Jye Menzie or Casey Voss.

At his best Durdin leaps and takes contested grabs. These types of blokes suffer the most when their confidence is down, when they feel taken away from their strengths, and if they're not enjoying footy or in a good environment. Hope he kicks on at the Blues.

lol, when was this?

Durdin was the worst mark of a football for a supposedly highly rated young KPP I’ve ever seen. He took I think 1 contested mark in his entire AFL career?

He had decent speed, decent engine, good size, Nice skills.

he was just very timid and didn’t have any urgency in his game.

He was also frankly an absolutely terrible mark of the footy, would regularly drop uncontested marks let alone him taking pack marks.

Seriously. Over a mid-season draft.
Not the Dawson pick but just the immense effort it took for the club to create a 2nd pick and then couldn’t even find someone to take a stab on. Aka El Nour, Voss, that random small forward who cares just try shake things up somewhere. Bunch of plodders and we don’t even take a chance of improving our list

lol, when was this?

Durdin was the worst mark of a football for a supposedly highly rated young KPP I’ve ever seen. He took I think 1 contested mark in his entire AFL career?

He had decent speed, decent engine, good size, Nice skills.

he was just very timid and didn’t have any urgency in his game.

He was also frankly an absolutely terrible mark of the footy, would regularly drop uncontested marks let alone him taking pack marks.
Juniors and VFL

Good luck young man, living your own, and most other kids dream - playing footy at the highest level .... lol, except we're not really at that level this year :cool: Anyway, your hard work has paid off, now you will really have to work hard. Go for your life mate, rip out a hanger or 2 and give us something to cheer about :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the thing for me is that Dawson doesn't seem like much of an upgrade on one of the KPDs available at 17 for us. He's not even genuine KPD size yet. Far too light. Love his athleticism though.

We could've picked up a Derksen or D'Ambrosio, plus another of the available KPDs and gotten two shots at filling two separate holes in our list, one being a big marking forward or the other an elite user out of the back half, as well as getting a KPD to work with.

I guess the thing for me is that Dawson doesn't seem like much of an upgrade on one of the KPDs available at 17 for us. He's not even genuine KPD size yet. Far too light. Love his athleticism though.

We could've picked up a Derksen or D'Ambrosio, plus another of the available KPDs and gotten two shots at filling two separate holes in our list, one being a big marking forward or the other an elite user out of the back half, as well as getting a KPD to work with.

Kallan was considered the best available KPD, after that, there wasn't anything. I'm good with it, why aim for 3rd or 4th best KPD when thats what we most need.

Kallan was considered the best available KPD, after that, there wasn't anything. I'm good with it, why aim for 3rd or 4th best KPD when thats what we most need.
I don't think the gulf between Dawson and some of the blokes available at our pick are big enough to justify robbing ourselves of the choice of Derksen or D'Ambrosio.

Last edited:
Obviously we were burnt by the Ham experience last year.

But to think a team like ours, with holes on every line and absolutely no depth, that we couldn't find a second player that could potentially improve us this year - that could at least play a few games of VFL and put pressure on our band of under achievers?

The greater issue is list space. Sure, it would be great to look at 10 extra players and keep any that come good... but how realistic is it that we are going to determine if anyone is any good in the space of half a season?

I'm not sure how many players we are letting go this year but MSD players aren't magical list players, you have to make room on your list for them. Because our development is so slow, we take forever to figure out if anyone is any good or not.

Excluding rookies, last year we put on Edwards and Ham in the MSD plus we drafted JHF, Goater, Curtis, Bergman and Archer. Haven't seen Goater or Archer yet and only 1 game from Bergman. JHF played 10 and Curtis 6.

2020 we took Phillips(16), Powell(20), Lazzaro(15), Spicer(1), Ford(8)
2019 we took Comben(1), Mahony(39) and Perez(11)
2018 we took Thomas(56), Taylor(41), Scott(45) we took Crocker but gave him the arse.
2017 we took LDU(60), Walker(gone), Hayen(15/demoted), Xerri(20) and Hartung(gone)

We also traded in Atu(17), CCJ(13), Young(32), Bonar(26) and Stephenson(80) who are in that 21-23 age group.

In this period none of the rookies made the grade, most of the speculative picks didn't make it, a number of non-speculative picks are still in limbo, that is what 25 players on our list from the last 5 years, what is a list 36 in the primary list, so a massive chunk of our list is already bloated with young/speculative players.

How much more can you add in and do a decent job of developing them given the massive cutbacks to what we can pay for coaches.

We have a paper thin 25+ mature aged player group and that paper has a lot of holes in it as it is. Goldstein turns 34 this year, Hall 32, Ziebell 31, Cunners 32, Greenwood 30, Polec 30, Walker 30, Anderson 28, Corr 28, McDonald 27 and Turner 27.

The group between 24-26 is McKay, Simpkin, Zurhaar and Larkey. That group is fine but we don't have a lot to step up and replace retiring players.

We just need more people in the 1-5 year group to step up, hopefully a number of them at the same time. A lot of guys have shown a lot of promise, but they aren't there. We are going to have some natural attrition from the old group, but that is going to be eaten up by draftees this year. We can't realistically look at any more speculative/long-term project players without cutting into the group we already have.

Was just listening as I was hanging out the washing but had to stop ten minutes in. It’s just too negative for me right now. I get that it’s hard to run a podcast about a s**t club, but right now North Talk is a big downer. I’ll tune back in when we’ve had a win perhaps.

*edit: Club playing s**t. Not a s**t club.

To be honest he didn't really show much. He just sort of loped around, he didn't display any attributes that suggested he'd be a very good player - even at VFL level. In hindsight he should've been kept and given more games purely because of our list profile and to see if he could fulfil that first round pick potential. But to be honest getting delisted may have been the kick in the arse he needed because from the sounds he's produced more at state level now than what he did playing VFL for us
Personally thought he was never allowed to settle and get a decent run at it. They’d throw him forward, pinch hit in the ruck, when clearly his best junior footy was in defence and at the time he was competing with Thompson, Tarrant, Maj, and earlier on Grima and Hansen.

Honestly, I can understand the pick of Dawson, he looks like he has all of the physical attributes you look for in a KPD, even if his disposal is below average. It also seems like he's developed rapidly since coming up into the vfl this year, so there appears to be some upside.

What I don't get is passing on El Nour. It fell in our lap to have a free hit at another young KPD with the tools to be a very good player. Why not give him a chance?

The worrying thing is that Amarfio said they had a list of 5-6 players presented to the board a couple of weeks ago. That seems like nowhere near enough, and my fear is that the recruiters identify a few favorites early and then get tunnel vision (admittedly that happens a lot on here as well though). Hopefully we get some new talent in the door soon, as it would only get worse if we just have Brady and Clayton moving forward.

Personally thought he was never allowed to settle and get a decent run at it. They’d throw him forward, pinch hit in the ruck, when clearly his best junior footy was in defence and at the time he was competing with Thompson, Tarrant, Maj, and earlier on Grima and Hansen.
My understanding was his best junior footy was actually played in the ruck, which he obviously wasn't physically equipped to play at AFL level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back