2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barring any current player jumper swaps - there's a few good numbers up for grabs. 1/17/20/26/29/33/36/42. Be nice if the website could be updated and remove those who have gone before. Who'll grab #1? Either someone with a big ego or the club nominates.

I'm a fan of letting players earn numbers.

Give new draftees a low number (50+) and when they become a regular part of the team/club ( say, 50%+ games in previous season, or 3+ years on the list) they get their pick of the 'free' low numbers. Order of choice goes to the player who finished higher in the B&F.

give sam day number 1

Do the Suns have more top quality academy prospects available in the 2024 draft? Who might they be out of curiosity?

Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sydney and GWS can match bids on academy players at any point in the draft, with the only restriction coming from their on-field performance; a team can match one first-round bid if they reach the preliminary finals, two if they reach the finals but are knocked out in the first two weeks, and an unlimited number if they miss the finals. The rule was introduced during the Giants’ period of premiership contention in the late 2010s.
Confirmation of the bid matching rules. The more successful we become on field, the less academy players we have access to. Should be fine for next year with Lombard being the only standout at this point in time but 2025 could be difficult if we make a prelim and have more than one first round talent coming through our academy.

Confirmation of the bid matching rules. The more successful we become on field, the less academy players we have access to. Should be fine for next year with Lombard being the only standout at this point in time but 2025 could be difficult if we make a prelim and have more than one first round talent coming through our academy.
The rules will be changed, you can be sure of that. No team will be allowed to take that many in the first round again.

The rules will be changed, you can be sure of that. No team will be allowed to take that many in the first round again.
Probably. I know we had five U16 AAs this year (four when you remove White for F/S) but I still think it's pretty unlikely that all of those players will become first round talent when their draft rolls around. Even if they do, we'll still get whichever two are the best should we play finals and get knocked out before the prelim OR the best one if we go deeper than week two of the finals. So it will still be feeding the best local talent into our team and then sharing the others with the rest of the league. That's when it's on us to create a 'go home factor' for those players and incentivise them to return home to the GC. Geelong have done a fantastic job of that in recent years and we should be looking to replicate what they've done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Set up perfectly for a third Brisbane v Adelaide GF now. This time would be at a third venue in Springfield after the first two were in Adelaide and the Gold Coast.

Footy must be doing well even in Brisbane now. My leaguie mate up there went to the game tonight to check it out (or gather some intel 😅). He said as soon as he got there, 'there is spare land here next to the ground, the nrl need to jump on that and put a field there'. He also surprisingly stayed till the end so must have liked it despite never willing to admit it. But yeah he definitely seems worried about footy's progress up there, particularly in west brisbane, which tells me a bit, as the fear mechanisms is kicking in strongly.

Last edited:
Footy must be doing well even in Brisbane now. My leaguie mate up there went to the game tonight to check it out (or gather some intel 😅). He said as soon as he got there, 'there is spare land here next to the ground, the nrl need to jump on that and put a field there'. He also surprisingly stayed till the end so must have liked it despite never willing to admit it. But yeah he definitely seems worried about footy's progress up there, particularly in west brisbane, which tells me a bit as the fear mechanisms is kicking in strongly.
Tipping North to spoil your party....;)
Posted in the wrong thread but it's good to hear the sport is growing in other parts of South East Queensland. Always felt West Brisbane/Ipswich would be a tough nut to crack but it sounds like the Lions are making genuine progress out there. If they keep this up then I'd say it's very likely the 18th NRL franchise will be based in the western corridor of Brisbane.

Not about Suns but Lions Swann in his interview on SEN mentioned 2 interesting things for me.

Lions spend 1.5-2M on academy.

There is talk around AFL that Geelong will have about 25 F/S in next 5-6 years. That will be interesting, haha.

Last edited:
Not about Suns but Lions Swann in his interview on SEN mentioned 2 interesting things for me.

Lions spend 1.5-2M on academy.

There is talk around AFL that Geelong will have about 25 F/S in next 5-6 years. That will be interesting, haha.
Pretty sure I read that the AFL approved an extra $400k in funding for our academy back in 2019 which took the total to around $1m. So if we're spending just over $1m on our academy and Brisbane are spending $1.5-2m then that says a lot. Although their market has significantly lower interest in the Aussie rules than our does per capita and that's a massive factor in this. We don't have to spend as much as Brisbane or Sydney to get the same/more out of our academy because our market has a greater appetite for the sport.

It's like asking if you'd rather have your academy zone be the entire state of NSW (8.1m) or the city of Geelong (250k). Most would pick Geelong because the appetite for the sport is extremely high and standard of local football is extremely good also. So you end up getting more out of 250k people in Geelong than 8.1m people in NSW. We've reportedly got around 40% of a market share on the Gold Coast already and if we can get that number to 60-70% then our academy is going to become very fruitful for us and we won't need to spend that much on it.

Then again, if our academy gets too strong then the AFL will start restricting it. Catch 22 - the more we succeed and grow the game, the more we get restricted and lose our juniors.

Pretty sure I read that the AFL approved an extra $400k in funding for our academy back in 2019 which took the total to around $1m. So if we're spending just over $1m on our academy and Brisbane are spending $1.5-2m then that says a lot. Although their market has significantly lower interest in the Aussie rules than our does per capita and that's a massive factor in this. We don't have to spend as much as Brisbane or Sydney to get the same/more out of our academy because our market has a greater appetite for the sport.

It's like asking if you'd rather have your academy zone be the entire state of NSW (8.1m) or the city of Geelong (250k). Most would pick Geelong because the appetite for the sport is extremely high and standard of local football is extremely good also. So you end up getting more out of 250k people in Geelong than 8.1m people in NSW. We've reportedly got around 40% of a market share on the Gold Coast already and if we can get that number to 60-70% then our academy is going to become very fruitful for us and we won't need to spend that much on it.

Then again, if our academy gets too strong then the AFL will start restricting it. Catch 22 - the more we succeed and grow the game, the more we get restricted and lose our juniors.
The significant bidding restrictions are already in place when we play finals which one got to expect. Max 1 bid match in round 1 if top 4 is fair (but should apply to F/S too).

Personally, I think early NGAs were just a joke and the clubs exploited it hence no bid top 40 rule was introduced. I expect that to be reverted. I would expect academy 20% discount to be removed too.

Our academy regions are all over the place. A lot of travelling related costs.

Last edited:
I love this.
406057082_830211885781881_8058918964067076461_n.jpg

405359962_830211775781892_8220617203990094022_n.jpg

not sure how the Lions spend $1.5m on their academy?

Unless they count the money the parents plough into it and they then spend, as expenditure?

Looks like the game has changed. It's going to be more difficult to hang on to our academy stars from here onwards:
Under the arrangement, if a bid comes for a father-son or academy player in round one, a club would have to use a first-round pick to match. If the club had bids on two players in the opening round, they would need to use two first-round picks, either by trading for an extra selection or by using their future first-rounder.

This alternative scenario required that a club matching a bid on a player would have to use a pick no more than nine selections (half a round) later than when a bid arrived. If, for example, a bid came for a player at pick two and the club didn’t have a first-round selection until pick 15, they would need to trade up the order to obtain a pick no later than 11. Or the club would need to use pick 15 and their second-round pick.

The Wright-Wells alternative was not pitched as a solution, but rather as framework from which a system could be fine-tuned.

Looks like the game has changed. It's going to be more difficult to hang on to our academy stars from here onwards:
Under this system, we would have traded Pick 4 out for the two picks needed to take Walter and Read, and could trade back the latter pick for two end of 1st round picks instead for Read and Rogers. We’d still have a second round pick for Graham, naturally.

It’s basically what we did, but we just kept trading for points value rather than pick value.

Now, if we don’t have a lower first round pick and can’t match multiple bids, then it means we are doing well as a club, so you take the good with the bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back