2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looks like the game has changed. It's going to be more difficult to hang on to our academy stars from here onwards:
"The AFL does not want to change academy rules, the priority access for the northern academies or father-son rules, but wants to simplify the system and require clubs to use picks closer to the initial bid."

Best to assume from here we can only match 1-2 a year. It will happen anyway when playing finals.

There is always the option to simply pick them with draft picks at times too.

This kind of system makes it harder for a club like Lions—who are top 4—to get a kid like Ashcroft and also Fletcher.

I’m ok with it. The club has the advantage and can plan for any bids still to trade in and out. Likely, Clubs will just be trading first round picks to move up and down each year, depending on if they have access to talent

Not much different in reality, even if the picks clubs hold will look different.
The question would be then in the first scenario, if a bid comes in the last pick of the first round?
Under the alternative suggested, it could be a pick 9 points back. So maybe your highest pick, or a pick up to 9 places back from the bid? So clubs could trade out Pick 18 for an early 2nd round pick + some change to get some value?

But really, are clubs/fans going to be happy if Lions get Ashcroft at Pick 1 for pick 18? Doubt it. It really just changes the picks and where clubs stop trading for them.

This kind of system makes it harder for a club like Lions—who are top 4—to get a kid like Ashcroft and also Fletcher.

I’m ok with it. The club has the advantage and can plan for any bids still to trade in and out. Likely, Clubs will just be trading first round picks to move up and down each year, depending on if they have access to talent

Not much different in reality, even if the picks clubs hold will look different.

Under the alternative suggested, it could be a pick 9 points back. So maybe your highest pick, or a pick up to 9 places back from the bid? So clubs could trade out Pick 18 for an early 2nd round pick + some change to get some value?

But really, are clubs/fans going to be happy if Lions get Ashcroft at Pick 1 for pick 18? Doubt it. It really just changes the picks and where clubs stop trading for them.
It's also pretty easy to just stash future first round picks until your first bid comes through and then trade back into the current year to match the next bid. The biggest restriction is obviously the one that relates to finals and that already exists.

It's also pretty easy to just stash future first round picks until your first bid comes through and then trade back into the current year to match the next bid. The biggest restriction is obviously the one that relates to finals and that already exists.
The only problem with it is that the clubs will know we need the pick and we will pay a heavy price.

The only problem with it is that the clubs will know we need the pick and we will pay a heavy price.
Depends on when the bid comes through. If it's pick 9 like we saw with Ethan Read this year then we've got potentially as many as 10 clubs to trade with to get back into the first round. Would we have to overpay? Perhaps but I imagine you start with Collingwood (the last pick in the first round) and work your way down until one of the clubs accepts a reasonable deal.

And the fact Melbourne were trying to get up the board to draft Watson to pair him up with Kozzie.
******* Goodluck to any clubs small defenders putting the brakes on those 2.

It seems clubs are becoming aware how handy good small forwards are who can kick 30-40 and be a menace in the F50 for turn overs.

Rachelle and Rankine are another scary pairing.

Hopefully Dimma can find some players for us.

Just a little prediction here but Will Graham to be the first of the fab 4 to debut. He looks physically ready and could see him making a charge for that half back /wing position as soon as Rd 1
I can see it. Lad looks pretty strong and a solid size already. He bolted up draft rankings as the year went on too.

Plus, we need players to step up at half back badly. Or to free up Powell to go more attacking etc.

Just a little prediction here but Will Graham to be the first of the fab 4 to debut. He looks physically ready and could see him making a charge for that half back /wing position as soon as Rd 1

He made my first best 23! I’ll take him over Lemmens/Long/Macpherson for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see it. Lad looks pretty strong and a solid size already. He bolted up draft rankings as the year went on too.

Plus, we need players to step up at half back badly. Or to free up Powell to go more attacking etc.
Potential HB - Jeffrey, Powell, Uwland, Budarick, Johnston, Farrar, Long, W Graham, Lemmens, Atkins, Ellis, Macpherson, Weller. Let's add Andrew too.

Who will it be? Who can take the game on and have a good kick?
He made my first best 23! I’ll take him over Lemmens/Long/Macpherson for sure
I love off-season optimism. The best time of the year, haha.

We still need a good lock down small, at this stage I think lemmens is the man. Long had 1 good game on rankine but I think we have been at our best when lemmens has had the job on the most dangerous small forward.

So good to see others now joining the Will Wagon - he has always been my personal choice if he can keep the injuries at bay. Tough as nails and something this club has needed for years. Fears nothing and nobody.

So good to see others now joining the Will Wagon - he has always been my personal choice if he can keep the injuries at bay. Tough as nails and something this club has needed for years. Fears nothing and nobody.
Fair play to the Graham believers over the last two years. Would've been easy to give up hope with the injuries he endured but your faith was rewarded. Now we've got people predicting he will make our opening round team. Amazing how things can change in footy.

I'd have Buderick over Lemmens but Uwland over Budders.
At the moment, considering one on one defence Lemmens is easily the best of them. The rest of the game not so much. Budarick cost us in some games in his comebacks. I still remember when prick Ginnivan scored 3 goals on him, and coaches had to put someone else on him.

Saying that I think both Budarick and Uwland will get there. Uwland is better defender. Budarick just needs a clean run. I feel, he is probably midfielder by nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back