2023 Club Membership Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry The_Wookie I’ve likely just edged you out in putting up this annual thread again. Many clubs are rolling over their membership packages and a few posting updates. Looking forward to the updates, discussion, at times silly debate (😄).

Carlton - 54,998 (progressing well to achieve strong growth)

Essendon 45,604 (~1,500 ahead of same time last year despite all its failure and incompetence)

Sorry The_Wookie I’ve likely just edged you out in putting up this annual thread again. Many clubs are rolling over their membership packages and a few posting updates. Looking forward to the updates, discussion, at times silly debate (😄).

Carlton - 54,998 (progressing well to achieve strong growth)

Essendon 45,604 (~1,500 ahead of same time last year despite all its failure and incompetence)

Any numbers on membership churn in 2022 ?

Any numbers on membership churn in 2022 ?
I don’t know where we get those figures. The AFL provide it to the clubs. Give or take, Clubs usually retain between 85-90% of members each year. A Club in disarray after a poor season may churn 20%.

Clubs have only recently started to put more emphasis into retaining members Vs attracting new ones. Think about it, it’s marketing 101. If a Club with 80,000 members can build a product / service that enables it to retain another 5% of its members annually irrespective of on-field performances, that's 4,000 members equating to probably $600K annually. Investing in retaining members delivers a better ROI than spending a heap of marketing dollars chasing 5,000 new ones, especially if that club has a poor start to the year.. That's why a Club like Hawthorn who traditionally has one of the highest auto renewal % of total membership delivers record memberships annually despite poor on field years. It’s locked away it’s membership before the disappointment of a poor start to a season halts the membership momentum!

Great customer service, service delivery, thoughtful and popular inclusions and member only discounts / events etc are all things Clubs are now focussing on to ensure their auto renewals are increasing as a total share of its membership each year.

I don’t know where we get those figures. The AFL provide it to the clubs. Give or take, Clubs usually retain between 85-90% of members each year. A Club in disarray after a poor season may churn 20%.

Clubs have only recently started to put more emphasis into retaining members Vs attracting new ones. Think about it, it’s marketing 101. If a Club with 80,000 members can build a product / service that enables it to retain another 5% of its members annually irrespective of on-field performances, that's 4,000 members equating to probably $600K annually. Investing in retaining members delivers a better ROI than spending a heap of marketing dollars chasing 5,000 new ones, especially if that club has a poor start to the year.. That's why a Club like Hawthorn who traditionally has one of the highest auto renewal % of total membership delivers record memberships annually despite poor on field years. It’s locked away it’s membership before the disappointment of a poor start to a season halts the membership momentum!

Great customer service, service delivery, thoughtful and popular inclusions and member only discounts / events etc are all things Clubs are now focussing on to ensure their auto renewals are increasing as a total share of its membership each year.

The clubs know their own churn & to a far greater detail than the AFL given the membership of clubs involves coteries.
The churn in terms of renewal numbers is certainly available to the AFL.

See the 2013 Corporate Guide of 2013:

Collingwood @ 51,000.

Doesn’t include AFL membership rollovers. I believe it’s +6,000 compared to same time a year ago. Looks like they are on track to globe past the Tigers and resume their rightful place at #1 Club in memberships.

membership updates today from club websites. Lots not reporting at this point.

Club2023
Adelaide
Brisbane
Carlton71085
Collingwood
Essendon58140
Fitzroy
Fremantle46385
Geelong52323
Gold Coast
G.Western Sydney
Hawthorn
Melbourne
North Melbourne35456
Port Adelaide49003
Richmond83038
St Kilda
Sydney
West Coast
Western Bulldogs
Club Total395,430

Club2023
Adelaide
Brisbane
Carlton71085
Collingwood
Essendon58140
Fitzroy
Fremantle46385
Geelong52323
Gold Coast
G.Western Sydney
Hawthorn
Melbourne
North Melbourne35456
Port Adelaide49003
Richmond83038
St Kilda
Sydney
West Coast
Western Bulldogs
Club Total395,430
Good update.

As expected, Essendon are about -1,600 compared to same time last year. Note with all Club comparisons, season starts a week earlier which may to a little extent impact direct comparison with ‘same date’ 2022.

Carlton growing nicely, look on track for 90-95,000. A fanbase engaged and highly expectant. Richmond on track for 100,000+. I also assume Collingwood would be tracking ahead too. I expect Collingwood to reclaim #1 status in 2023.

Good update.

As expected, Essendon are about -1,600 compared to same time last year. Note with all Club comparisons, season starts a week earlier which may to a little extent impact direct comparison with ‘same date’ 2022.

Carlton growing nicely, look on track for 90-95,000. A fanbase engaged and highly expectant. Richmond on track for 100,000+. I also assume Collingwood would be tracking ahead too. I expect Collingwood to reclaim #1 status in 2023.

I tell you whats remarkable though, Carlton did a 2 for 1 offer to members or something 2 years ago, and those numbers havent dropped off. Fair to say the marketing there worked

Club2023
Adelaide
Brisbane
Carlton71085
Collingwood
Essendon58140
Fitzroy
Fremantle46385
Geelong52323
Gold Coast
G.Western Sydney
Hawthorn
Melbourne
North Melbourne35456
Port Adelaide49003
Richmond83038
St Kilda
Sydney
West Coast
Western Bulldogs
Club Total395,430

I can understand why Fitzroy aren't reporting :moustache::moustache::moustache:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very few Club updates this year.

Carlton (strong growth), Richmond (flat) and Geelong (growing nicely).

North, St Kilda, Essendon all sluggish (as expected).

I haven’t heard anything from Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne and others.

According to the guy in the membership tent at our intraclub on Wednesday night we’re sitting at 55K members currently.

LOL, still getting used to my new glasses

image.jpg

I'm definitely curious about the pies given they apparantely oversold memberships (some people had to get downgraded because of it) 6/7 top tier memberships are sold out. Definitely feels more than last year. Didn't see this many sold out, especially not by feb.

I went to change my seats and there was very little available in the ponsford stand.

I'm definitely curious about the pies given they apparantely oversold memberships (some people had to get downgraded because of it) 6/7 top tier memberships are sold out. Definitely feels more than last year. Didn't see this many sold out, especially not by feb.

I went to change my seats and there was very little available in the ponsford stand.
I agree. Only question is how far in front they will be of second place in 2023.

I tell you whats remarkable though, Carlton did a 2 for 1 offer to members or something 2 years ago, and those numbers havent dropped off. Fair to say the marketing there worked
Used to work in call centre sales and things like that. We had a rule that a sale with Direct Debt is worth double a sale when they pay upfront with cash. Essentially the psychology is that the effort to cancel the direct debt is a barrier that stops people when they are on the fence of the purchase anyway. Also they believe that there is no point asking for a refund and they see the money as essentially gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back