Fixture 2023 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly don't care if they take Good Friday off us - I didn't think it was enjoyable for our club to be part of, as the away team, anyway. But it just frustrates me when people complain about AFL distributions, or size of clubs, etc, when there clearly isn't equality of opportunity among the clubs. Give us the money we deserve that was generated from other clubs "maximising revenue" because we've done everything we can, in our status as a small club, but it clearly isn't enough.

More like trying to stay in news cycle for as much of the year as possible.
Speaking of managing the news cycle I wonder how the investigation into allegations of racism at Hawthorn FC is going?

I'm guessing it will drop around 23 December when everybody is flat out doing their last minute Christmas shopping and cooking or just lying in an alcoholic coma on the office floor. Then comes Christmas, then the Boxing Day sales, the test at the MCG and the Sydney to Hobart.

It will be stale news before anyone can give it a second thought.

1670409684016.jpeg

Wouldn't surprise me if the AFL release the full fixture during the middle of the World Cup Final given how petty and insecure they were the other day.

Wouldn't surprise me if the AFL release the full fixture during the middle of the World Cup Final given how petty and insecure they were the other day.
It took all of 30 sec to look at who and what date our first game was, storm in a teacup.

It took all of 30 sec to look at who and what date our first game was, storm in a teacup.
Yes it was a storm in a teacup. I couldn't care myself personally it happened.

But lets be honest. The AFL has NEVER released a fixture drip or the fixture at 6am. So it clearly points to someone in AFL house being insecure. Hence the sarcastic mocking tone of my comment. It does not hurt to show a little respect. I bet $100 the Rnd1 fixture would have been released another day if there was no game on.

The AFL has history of spitting on other sports. They have gotten themselves worked up about an imaginary code war or threat, and make stupidly reactionary decisions along the way. There is plenty of room for all sports to coexist and be allowed their own time in the spotlight. I have always thought the AFL administration to be so full of themselves.

Western Bulldogs return to Darwin in 2023​

The Western Bulldogs will return to Darwin for the first time in a decade during the 2023 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

The AFL confirmed on Thursday that the Bulldogs will be hosted by the Gold Coast Suns at TIO Stadium in Round 11 next year, last visiting the Northern Territory in 2013.

The fixture will commence at 6.55pm local time on Saturday, May 27.

It’s been a happy hunting ground for the red, white and blue, playing nine matches and winning seven games at the venue.

Only four current Bulldogs players took part in the 2013 fixture, with Tom Liberatore, Jason Johannisen, Jack Macrae and Liam Jones all contributing to a nine-point victory over Port Adelaide.

Full fixture details are yet to be confirmed, with Ticketing information to be communicated once finalised.

Can lock in playing Brissy up there, Cats in Geelong, probably Hawks in Launy, GWS in Canberra. We might get action in every state and territory.

Can someone please explain the uproar about the release of the round one fixture?

Who cares when it was released. What is wrong with checking the fixture after the Socceroos match? Why do you have to read the fixture during the match?

I mean, if someone had told me the round one fixture was out while I was watching the Socceroos, it's not like I'll stop watching the Soccer. It's not like there's only a five minute window to view the fixture... 🤔🤔

Can someone please explain the uproar about the release of the round one fixture?

Who cares when it was released. What is wrong with checking the fixture after the Socceroos match? Why do you have to read the fixture during the match?

I mean, if someone had told me the round one fixture was out while I was watching the Socceroos, it's not like I'll stop watching the Soccer. It's not like there's only a five minute window to view the fixture... 🤔🤔
It’s about drawing attention away from the World Cup. It’s not going to affect many who are keen enough to get up at 6 to watch. It’s more about the clicks, column inches and domination of the airwaves as they affect the general sports watcher. It’s not so much the exact moment of release but the write ups that follow through the day.

AFL can’t stand soccer getting all the limelight.

A bit of an over reaction on both sides. The AFL can't help itself trying to control the news cycle and remind everyone they are the big dog in domestic sport, I guess that is how they keep their influence and control at the level they do. However its not like Gil held a press conference at 6am at Fed Square to announce the round 1 fixture, believe it was posted by the Herald Scum online and snowballed from there. Soccer fans in this country are just super sensitive and understandably so after a lifetime of fighting ethnic stereotypes and agendas clearly drawn up to crush the sport. However the ace up their sleeve is the fact the Socceroos have a true international reach that none of the other traditional team sports in this country (Cricket, Rugby, Hockey) will ever have. Just a shame the A league is of such bad quality and so poorly ran.

Anyway back to the Dogs, would love a Friday night home game v. the injectors, as shambolic as they are as a club that would be a bumper crowd.

A bit of an over reaction on both sides. The AFL can't help itself trying to control the news cycle and remind everyone they are the big dog in domestic sport, I guess that is how they keep their influence and control at the level they do. However its not like Gil held a press conference at 6am at Fed Square to announce the round 1 fixture, believe it was posted by the Herald Scum online and snowballed from there. Soccer fans in this country are just super sensitive and understandably so after a lifetime of fighting ethnic stereotypes and agendas clearly drawn up to crush the sport. However the ace up their sleeve is the fact the Socceroos have a true international reach that none of the other traditional team sports in this country (Cricket, Rugby, Hockey) will ever have. Just a shame the A league is of such bad quality and so poorly ran.

Anyway back to the Dogs, would love a Friday night home game v. the injectors, as shambolic as they are as a club that would be a bumper crowd.
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but your post has a lot of relevance on the following YouTube video I watched last week.

Some may enjoy it even if you're not Soccer fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions at Marvel in round 3 per Stevo
Would guess its a Saturday night game, interesting to see the round 2 matchup now. FYI the game in Darwin is part of Sir Doug Nichols round too which is pretty cool for Marra, Arthur Jones, Liam Jones etc...

Mark Stevens

@StevoMedia
·
2h

The AFL loves a good rivalry game ... Hearing we won't have to wait long for Dogs v departed Josh Dunkley. Expect Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions Round 3 at Marvel Stadium.
@RSNBreakfast

@rsn

It obviously doesn’t affect anyone or anything but it’s just a bit of a pathetic look from the AFL trying to grab a touch of attention during such a huge sporting event for Aus like a World Cup round of 16 game. Other sports can and do exist ffs, again doesn’t affect anything but just a bit cringe

Round 1 - Demons @ MCG

Round 3 - Lions @ Marvel

Round 5 - Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval

Round 11 - Gold Coast @ TIO

From what we know so far.

Looks like a few strong matches to start the season. I like it.

Last edited:
Round 1 - Demons @ MCG

Round 3 - Lions @ Marvel

Round 6 - Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval

High odds that most, if not all of Demons, Lions, Port could feature as a double ups given they are early in the season. I'd be good with those if it was the case.

Looks like a tough start to the season on the cards.
Re: the double ups this past year we played Carlton (R2), Tigers (R4), Norf (R5), Adelaide (R6) and didn't double them up. Meanwhile played Geelong in round 12 and GWS in round 13 but doubled them up.

All the games except Lions are Saturday Night too. Don't think they would give us Brissy under Friday night lights so its probably a 3.20 Sunday special.

Round 1 - Demons @ MCG

Round 3 - Lions @ Marvel

Round 6 - Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval

High odds that most, if not all of Demons, Lions, Port could feature as a double ups given they are early in the season. I'd be good with those if it was the case.

Looks like a tough start to the season on the cards.

I mentioned it previously, but copping Port at their own ground would be BS. SA were awarded “Gather Round”, but the 2 teams out of 16 forced to play an additional match at the direct home of an SA opponent should and would be filthy.

Playing them at Norwood or something whilst Sydney takes on Richmond or something at AO is much less of an issue.

Western Bulldogs return to Darwin in 2023​

The Western Bulldogs will return to Darwin for the first time in a decade during the 2023 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

The AFL confirmed on Thursday that the Bulldogs will be hosted by the Gold Coast Suns at TIO Stadium in Round 11 next year, last visiting the Northern Territory in 2013.

The fixture will commence at 6.55pm local time on Saturday, May 27.

It’s been a happy hunting ground for the red, white and blue, playing nine matches and winning seven games at the venue.

Only four current Bulldogs players took part in the 2013 fixture, with Tom Liberatore, Jason Johannisen, Jack Macrae and Liam Jones all contributing to a nine-point victory over Port Adelaide.

Full fixture details are yet to be confirmed, with Ticketing information to be communicated once finalised.

Out of tourist season and the coldest time of the year in Darwin so there'd be plenty of accommodation if people could afford the COVID taxed flights put on by the airlines to get there.

I mentioned it previously, but copping Port at their own ground would be BS. SA were awarded “Gather Round”, but the 2 teams out of 16 forced to play an additional match at the direct home of an SA opponent should and would be filthy.

Playing them at Norwood or something whilst Sydney takes on Richmond or something at AO is much less of an issue.
Yeah it is very much a 6th interstate game, away vs another team on their home turf. Where you normally only get 5 as a Vic team. Maybe we will get compensated elsewhere on the fixture?

Though the Suns game is at a neutral venue really, so you could argue it balances things out a little.

All being said, our interstate record has been solid in recent times. If we are to be taken seriously, we should beat Port over there.

Out of tourist season and the coldest time of the year in Darwin so there'd be plenty of accommodation if people could afford the COVID taxed flights put on by the airlines to get there.
I was wondering why domestic flights were no longer affordable when looking into a potential holiday recently. I knew some of the reason would probably be the fuel expenses. But have airlines seriously thrown in extra costs because of Covid?

I was wondering why domestic flights were no longer affordable when looking into a potential holiday recently. I knew some of the reason would probably be the fuel expenses. But have airlines seriously thrown in extra costs because of Covid?
They are using the fuel excuse to bump up the prices to make up the money they lost during the COVID shut downs, can't have their shareholders loosing out so might as well rip off the paying customers.

I personally don’t care about playing on Good Friday, but the AFL’s handling of that fixture from the get go has been shambolic (first scheduling us, then St. Kilda, then Essendon, then back to us, and now Carlton - as the away team)

The Good Friday Fixture itself has its drawbacks— Easter weekend, lots of people away, Norf being a rubbish side recently - but the AFL have hardly helped the fixture themselves.

Also, for a club that has won 5 spoons this century and generally been a pathetic joke (much to my delight) Carlton are the most looked after side year in, year out with the fixture.

Loads of Friday night games whilst being spectacularly mediocre for years, plus the opening round match,

And on the opening round match, has there actually ever been a decent Richmond vs Carlton round 1 opener?

Year in, year out it is a snore fest and they get to keep it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back