Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
Once again it looks inept.

What do we do?

Fyfe won’t be dropped.

Treacy experiment will be continued.

Tabs has the runs on the board and takes the best defender. We ready to just banish him to Peel.

Jackson isn’t a fwd, he’s an athletic ruck.

Amiss is still a teenager.

Keuk is border line underweight.

Corbett at this point is in no man’s land and I am fairly disappointed he isn’t around the mark.

Sturt is a medium fwd who is an unknown.

Wtf do we do and what’s the best combination?

It needs to gel. It needs to put plan into action. It needs better delivery.

Constantly changing players with different personalities, attributes will be pointless.

Fyfe needs to be backed. Treacy needs time. Tabs need consistency. Jackson needs time.

The issue is the small forwards. Switter is, IMO, overrated for his pressure when he adds nil scoreboard pressure. Sure that’s great to have, but he doesn’t kick enough goals or even hang around the packs whenever the ball hits inside 50.

There’s hardly goal hungry smalls in the team. Walters is needed just for his creativity and goal nous.

Bringing in Amiss to replace Treacy adds nothing really.

Play Amiss in every game going forward for a start.

We need to go after a true KPF. Don’t care who we trade out to get a REAL one.
McCarthy, Hogan, Lobb...not like we haven't tried. Hogan kicked 3 for GWS - just sayin'.
AND Bennell, Matera, Yarran...

Switter is, IMO, overrated for his pressure when he adds nil scoreboard pressure.

Agree with most of your post except this. Switta's pressure is manic, but also he makes things happen. Was by far our most dangerous forward yesterday (not saying a lot I know), but he's one of the first names on the team sheet for mine.

Treacy very nearly had a good game. Don't know why his mitts turn to concrete at AFL level. If he used his WAFL hands he'd have had 3.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Walters is still our best most proven natural forward by a country mile, plus he can organise a forward line. We were a rabble up there yesterday.

The eye test would say Amiss and Sturt are natural forwards but they're very green.

From hereon every game we must play Sonny and at least one of Amiss or Sturt. My preference is to play both of them, but with JLo in da house that isn't going to happen.

So that's two, there's your drummer and lead guitar. And Schultz will play, and Fyfe. That's bass and rhythm, four.

The others will be backing vocals or the guy who hits a tambourine every fourth beat and gets to boast to all his friends that he's a rock and roller. At least one will be a tall. I don't care, none of them are natural forwards

Agree with most of your post except this. Switta's pressure is manic, but also he makes things happen. Was by far our most dangerous forward yesterday (not saying a lot I know), but he's one of the first names on the team sheet for mine.

Treacy very nearly had a good game. Don't know why his mitts turn to concrete at AFL level. If he used his WAFL hands he'd have had 3.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Perhaps Switta needs time onball. If he’s not around the packs I50, the opposition rebound quite easily.

It’s how far the coaches are willing to back Treacy. Fear that they may drop him after one game and make him play predominantly Peel for a month. Amiss is still raw however Tabs May have to be managed or pushed.
Really keen to develop Kuek and Amiss and push them for selection. Need a tall that leaps at the ball and can take a screamer or bring the ball to ground. Jackson’s leap looks limited and Tabs has none.
Fyfe can do it, but he’s always in the wrong position.

Don’t want to come to a point where fans actually miss Lobb and having him told you so.

Slow ball movement kills forward lines. Slow ball movement causes defences to run back and clog up the forward 50.

I liked Treacy bashing and crashing in the first quarter

Even in a clogged up forward 50, forwards need to lead, not stand and call for it to be bombed in.

All correct but our inability to take a mark contested or otherwise was shambolic. So too was our ability to crumb off the packs. Even with the slow ball movement we should've done better at winning or even halving contests.

We got the balance totally wrong yesterday and went way too tall/slow. We cannot have all three of Darcy, Jackson and Tabs on the field together for any more than very short bursts. Especially when we've got Treacy and Fyfe out there already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our forward line problem is 90% game plan and ball movement and 10% personnel.
Is the game plan to have all the forwards standing static together and not working in unison to present at least one good option. Of course the ball movement was shite but we were not playing one natural forward yesterday

Disagree.

JL and Graham both coached the WC forwardline successfully. Talent makes a massive difference.
Have a look at the Collinwood forward line or the Melbourne forward line.

Jesus, I'd go as far as saying that, apart from Pickett, the Melbourne forward line was dog s**t on the weekend.

Look at the GWS v Adelaide game. Adelaide had stars oozing out of that forward line...way better than GWS, all for naught.

Of course it would be great to have stars and talent on every line, but that's not possible. What is possible, is honing your ball movement and developing a game plan that can generate enough quality scoring opportunities to kick a winning score.

Based on yesterday's game, we have a lot of work to do in that regard.

Jesus, I'd go as far as saying that, apart from Pickett, the Melbourne forward line was dog s**t on the weekend.

Look at the GWS v Adelaide game. Adelaide had stars oozing out of that forward line...way better than GWS, all for naught.

Of course it would be great to have stars and talent on every line, but that's not possible. What is possible, is honing your ball movement and developing a game plan that can generate enough quality scoring opportunities to kick a winning score.

Agree. GWS made theirs work, were on paper have less firepower then many top 10 teams. But their bell movement was top notch and pressure was up.
The defence took far too many sage options, midfield got destroyed most of the game. It’s a bad recipe for the forward line.
The kicks I50 were hideous. Why not a short, flat kick to the goal square or block for one another and have a kick around 35-40m out with player running to that spot. Instead it’s just bomb high and long.

I didn't see the other games so can't comment on them. Perhaps the WB and Adelaide defenders weren't good enough. But I do know that Collingwood have some good natural forwards, and so do GWS.

Gameplan is of course important but to say our problem is 90% coaching is way over the top. Graham and JL are too good for that - I guarantee they're not coaching players to stand idle, drop marks, stay too far off the contest, miss easy shots etc, etc.

Also, our forwardline has been crap for how long now? Are you saying that the last 5 forwardline coaches and 2 head coaches are useless?

I didn't see the other games so can't comment on them. Perhaps the WB and Adelaide defenders weren't good enough. But I do know that Collingwood have some good natural forwards, and so do GWS.

Gameplan is of course important but to say our problem is 90% coaching is way over the top. Graham and JL are too good for that - I guarantee they're not coaching players to stand idle, drop marks, stay too far off the contest, miss easy shots etc, etc.

Also, our forwardline has been crap for how long now? Are you saying that the last 5 forwardline coaches and 2 head coaches are useless?

What was the stat someone posted in another thread? The last 35 inside 50 forward entries we made in the match did not yield one goal? That's world record crapola

I don't necessarily disagree with everything that you're saying, and I'm not putting all the blame entirely on the coaches, but I think they need to shoulder a fair bit of the blame from that performance. We obviously decided we could beat St Kilda with a methodical, chippy style of game plan, yet anyone who has seen Lyon coach would know that is playing straight into his hands. He will instruct his players to role back, clog up the space in the 50, then launch out or slingshot when they get possession.

I'll finish on this final comment. If we start moving the ball quicker and start moving it through the corridor, then our forward line is suddenly going to look a lot better, yet it will be the same blokes out there.

I was at the game yesterday.

There was no space whatsoever in our forward half, so you can't blame our forwards for the poor result.

Slow ball movement and sideways kicking is what killed us, Saints just kept flooding back.
Even worse was that it gave them all a breather so that they had plenty in the tank to keep up the pressure and attack on the contest all the way to the final siren.

I don't necessarily disagree with everything that you're saying, and I'm not putting all the blame entirely on the coaches, but I think they need to shoulder a fair bit of the blame from that performance. We obviously decided we could beat St Kilda with a methodical, chippy style of game plan, yet anyone who has seen Lyon coach would know that is playing straight into his hands. He will instruct his players to role back, clog up the space in the 50, then launch out or slingshot when they get possession.

I'll finish on this final comment. If we start moving the ball quicker and start moving it through the corridor, then our forward line is suddenly going to look a lot better, yet it will be the same blokes out there.
Back the same forward line in, and get the backline moving the ball quicker especially Young, Chapman and Frederick moving up the ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back