No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFL Discussion - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great interview on SEN with Dermie and Cornes talking to Dean Duursma about his kids , so down to earth and the kids sound like a lot of fun , talks about when the Swans interviewed Zane, really worth a listen
A good interview. Brief mention of the Swans when we pulled a 2k time trial from 2 yrs ago and said it wasn't good enough. Kid gave as good as he got and said it was old and he's improved a lot.

It seems part of the Swans MO that we pull something out and challenge them on their results. Probs testing them on their ability to handle criticism.

A good interview. Brief mention of the Swans when we pulled a 2k time trial from 2 yrs ago and said it wasn't good enough. Kid gave as good as he got and said it was old and he's improved a lot.

It seems part of the Swans MO that we pull something out and challenge them on their results. Probs testing them on their ability to handle criticism.

My years of stackoverflow experience would be perfect.

"Literally any question"

Me: "That's a stupid ******* question".

My boy Jack Higgins a perfect example

Maybe, just maybe, the AFL hierarchy should stop and actually critically analyse all mechanisms instead of knee-jerking.

You know... an actual review that goes for a year or two, scopes out all the stakeholders and comes up with a 5-10 year plan for draft and trade period with contingency plans.
AFL HQ remind me of Perth's freeway. It's under permanent construction and road works because it was so poorly designed in the first place, but each new amendment to it is so minor that it doesn't really solve any issues and completely lacks any long-term vision.

AFL HQ remind me of Perth's freeway. It's under permanent construction and road works because it was so poorly designed in the first place, but each new amendment to it is so minor that it doesn't really solve any issues and completely lacks any long-term vision.
Every freeway. State govts fund things in very short tranches based on teeny horizons so you only ever get incremental work done instead of proper long term planning.

Maybe, just maybe, the AFL hierarchy should stop and actually critically analyse all mechanisms instead of knee-jerking.

You know... an actual review that goes for a year or two, scopes out all the stakeholders and comes up with a 5-10 year plan for draft and trade period with contingency plans.
That sounds like a reasonable approach, but even then, we're assuming in such a review that each club would be given equal weighting, but we all know the views of Vic clubs receive much more weight than the interstate clubs and hence, even with a well-run review, the outcome would still end up being vic-centric because the voices of the Vic clubs would drown out the views of interstate clubs.

We're on a hiding to nothing no matter which way you want to carve it up.

Every freeway. State govts fund things in very short tranches based on teeny horizons so you only ever get incremental work done instead of proper long term planning.
Back to the game.
I watched our girls today , great win and i don't want to be on that thread as i'll be banned

Hahaha as if that will EVER happen! All they do is knee jerk in their reactions to EVERYTHING!

That sounds like a reasonable approach, but even then, we're assuming in such a review that each club would be given equal weighting, but we all know the views of Vic clubs receive much more weight than the interstate clubs and hence, even with a well-run review, the outcome would still end up being vic-centric because the voices of the Vic clubs would drown out the views of interstate clubs.

We're on a hiding to nothing no matter which way you want to carve it up.
Im holding all my hopes in Ireland.. He spent a lot of time at both Brisbane and Sydney, and is clearly a very good operator.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im on the North Coast.. so distances are different up here. A different example of junior footy may be..
My 12 yo won his soccer grand final 2-1. It was such a close contest and to watch the kids (boys/girls) play their hearts out, play for their team mates and celebrate or console each other at the final siren was something us parents and the kids will never forget. An Excellent game.
My twin 12yo nephews played for the same club Blakey played for (Eastern Bulldogs I think) in Sydney. They won their grand final this year also. But they won by over 100 points. My nephews dont feel or recognise the achievement from winning the Granny. Seems a very uneven comp.

When Kane spoke of the NGAs. She said the AFL wants to represent the diverse community. Absolutely!
I would push for financial support to be placed in junior footy for all kids from all cultures to run around on a saturday morning chasing a footy, rather than for a few of the very elite. More kids playing, the better the comp is, the more the kids enjoy playing, the better they get - and then the more kids play... and so on the Snowball effect.. And at the end of the day Kane and the AFL achieve their goal of the AFL representing the community - but they achieve that goal organically rather than superficially.
The AFL is not interested in developing the game at school or junior grass roots level in NSW or Qld. The investment would be staggering.

It is just developing the game in Victoria. It controls the TFL which is now the TAFL. The investment in grass roots junior footy there is pitiful. All the money goes to North & Hawthorn who pocket it and invest in new facilities in Melb.

In SA & WA the SANFL & WAFL fund grass roots development. Victorian clubs benefit by about 70% of the development fund. That leaves 30% for 5 states & 2 territories. What's more, the development fund money is mostly spent on Next Gen Academies. But these players are developed by their local clubs too. The AFL only invented those Academies to calm people like Eddie & Hawthorn.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like the idea of the NGAs and some of the Vic clubs are serious about it, eg Cats and Saints. LolNorf only just restarted their NGA. They should be fined/lose any amount they received for running their invisible NGA.

According to my Tassie mates the AFL has been poison for footy in TAS for years.

Yeah, that was a train wreck. Goody needs some media training. Pretty much hung Smith out to dry. He was being too candid in his responses. You gotta keep the drama in-house. The fact that he hasn't spoken to Smith. And then admits it to the media, while saying he was pissed off, they're the thoughts of a man who's lost control and is scrambling to figure out what to do next.

And I thought Mills arm wrestling press conference was bad.

Amazing interview , thank god we are well run , now we do have culture
Horses interviews may annoy some people (C88), but, he plays it with a straight bat for a reason. He protects the players and the Club from anything that might go wrong, and things go wrong in every workplace. Its like an insurance policy.

One thing about the AFL VFL media that pisses me off is the use of nicknames. For me it confirms a BS boys club and that all are involved.
eg.
In 'serious' interviews, The AFL CEO Gillion McGlauglin and the chief AFL journalist Damien Barrett will call each other Gill and Damo; Simon Goodwin is called Goody; Alastair Clarkson is called Clarko.. etc etc
Total respect to Longmire - hes never let the media call him Horse. Whenever he spoke about Buddy, he called him Lance.. etc
Just small things that Horse and the Swans do well (and professionally).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back